Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted

Yeah i wouldn't worry about rain at Cork too much, it never was in a favorable position and I'd suspect rain is likely to stay there now its started though it may turn wintry at times in any heaver precip but I shouldn't think so. Anyway frontal system still heading nearly due east but models forecasting twist in the frontal axis sometime tonight which should be intresting to see if this is the case.

As the teps continue to hopefully drop over Ireland I'd expect we'll eventually see the rain turn to snow further inland though in more southern parts o Ireland I'm not sure if t'll settle all that well, esp closer t othe coasts. Pretty mucha cert this event now if you live on high ground, but even low ground looking likely to get a real ammering in England and wales and probably N/RO Ireland, well not far off from a conutrywide event some have been wanting since this started, mnight just get one...

hopefully first reports of snow aren't that far away now.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Hopefully this won't be like other frontal events. Huge amounts of Snow forecast and the front either fizzles out into a few flakes and then drizzle or the mild air piles in quicker than expected and you get half n hour of snow then steady rain.

It's a very long time since we've had proper Frontal Snow possibly 9 years or more.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
Hopefully this won't be like other frontal events. Huge amounts of Snow forecast and the front either fizzles out into a few flakes and then drizzle or the mild air piles in quicker than expected and you get half n hour of snow then steady rain.

It's a very long time since we've had proper Frontal Snow possibly 9 years or more.

Hmmm, I've been taken in before by frontal systems. I remember one forecast when we were supposed to have a huge dumping of snow only to wake up that morning to slush and rain. I'm praying this doesn't happen again.

Posted

Hi PIT,

Don't know about you but am not really expecting anything for us, seems like the front will fizzle out before it gets this far north. Could have predicted it. Over the years its either northerly (coasts only) NW (north west only) SW (changes to rain before arriving) Seems like we will miss out this time as well. Recently there has been snow south of us, on the coast east of us, on the moors north of us and on the pennines west of us!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
The only thing with the hangar website is that often updates at approx 50mins after the last data - which ain't too helpful when you want it now! :angry:

Are there any aviators out there who know of any good web sites with 'actuals' and 'TAF's - preferably free?

Andy

Posted
Hello all

Well my longing for a good dumping of snow may come back to haunt me!!!!!

My mrs was due to give birth last sunday to our first child. This didnt happen so obviously now overdue and i am starting to worry what on earth i will do if i wake up in the morning to a snow bound street with my dear mrs screaming her waters have broken :good::good:

Am i facing that much snow here, i live high up on the side of a mountain, Ty canol about 200m ASL, if anyone knows the area.

Any ideas guys we are starting to get a little nervy :good:

Cheers WW

Guys anyone care to add how much i may be facing :angry:

Posted

I doubt we are gonna get much more than that this far North!

Posted

Well the BBC forecast seem to be giving the snow band a new lease of life later on tomorrow afternoon over parts of North West England. .....mmmm do they know something we don't?

Posted
Hmmm, I've been taken in before by frontal systems. I remember one forecast when we were supposed to have a huge dumping of snow only to wake up that morning to slush and rain. I'm praying this doesn't happen again.

It will probably all turn to rain knowing our look. I'm in Portsmouth which will probably get nothing, but i'm hoping to see something either on saturday or sunday when I'm back up north in Middlesbrough.

Posted
Yeah i wouldn't worry about rain at Cork too much, it never was in a favorable position and I'd suspect rain is likely to stay there now its started though it may turn wintry at times in any heaver precip but I shouldn't think so. Anyway frontal system still heading nearly due east but models forecasting twist in the frontal axis sometime tonight which should be intresting to see if this is the case.

As the teps continue to hopefully drop over Ireland I'd expect we'll eventually see the rain turn to snow further inland though in more southern parts o Ireland I'm not sure if t'll settle all that well, esp closer t othe coasts. Pretty mucha cert this event now if you live on high ground, but even low ground looking likely to get a real ammering in England and wales and probably N/RO Ireland, well not far off from a conutrywide event some have been wanting since this started, mnight just get one...

hopefully first reports of snow aren't that far away now.

Kold seen as you are one of the more experienced ones can you put me out my misery and tell me what you think the chances are for Lincoln?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow schools in my are are already closed tomorrow because were getting so much snow!

Midlanders, 15cm is coming your way!

Posted

Indeed thundersquall, also some rather hefty bursts in there as well as of now, given the tight gradient plus the developing low it may take some time to weaken down obnce it does get into S.England, isolated rainfll rate sof 8mm per hour, would roughly equal about 7-8cms of snow per hour IF that were tommorow morning.

Lincoln does have a shot though the front may be weakening by the time it reaches you but I wouldn't be too downbeat, there certainly is a chance.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Typical. I start working in Zurich, flying back at the weekends, thinking I'll see plenty of snow for a change this winter.........

And with this latest forecast for the UK the score tomorrow of settling snowfalls will be

Zurich 1 v 2 Broxbourne :lol:

No doubt it will all be gone by the time I get back on friday evening and I will still won't have had the opportunity of buiding a decent size snowman with my kids :(

The wife and kids are coming out here next week instead of me going back home. Now I'm worried that I'm taking them away from the snow when the idea was to come here to get some :lol:

Posted

I must say its come quicker than first thought but i don't think its too much of a worry. One very small concern maybe that the cloud cover before the PPN may help rise the temps slightly. The tempertures are important in what speed this front moves. Of corse the colder the slower its get, I also think patiantce will be key tonight aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
I'll say it again but my friends friend says it was snowing in Devon quite hard about half an hour ago. Snow already at this stage and so far south must be a good sign :lol:

There is nothing on the radar for Devon, so I would think he may be winding you up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
17:30 metoffice rainfall radar chart looking interesting.

It's not moved very far.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
It's not moved very far.....

Lol heavy snow expected here in Kidderminster at 6am and lasting to about 6pm/7pm/8pm in the evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I dont like the way they show PPN on the BBC tv forecasts as it looks as if the PPN jumps.