Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted
lookin at the radar there is a bulge in front of the main band (light precip) so hopefully that will give manchester a lil bit more..cos it is heading in this general direction :rolleyes:

It's looking okay for Manchester at the moment. But it won't be as heavy as it would be in the Midlands & Wales. But we should get a decent covering. I will be off to Lymm Dam tomorrow to enjoy the Scenery.

Posted

Excellent forecast from Kaddie on SE News. 2-10CM. With the 10cm more likely for the NW of our region (Kent and Sussex) which should just about include me and Steve. An interesting 24 hours ahead. *Tries not to expect too much after so many let-downs*.

Posted
Yup better be prepared for disappointment... ya never know though..

But i would favour rain over snow now :rolleyes:

Everywhere bar the east coast due to an on shore wind will get snow. How unlucky is that. I think im going to cry......

Posted
Well a fascinating 24 hours ahead, very much a throwback to the eighties and great that the younger members can see such an event.

Events like this can be letdowns - Dec 95 was one such occassion - although much milder air than we are talking about this time was expected to sweep North, heavy snow was forecasted as the system met the colder air. The reality was a big disappointment with patchy snow and freezing rain before the milder air got in. This was despite Birmingham and Manchester weather centres issuing severe weather 'nowcasts' in the early afternoon !

Another event in the mid-80s (can't remember exactly when' saw a Channel Low expected to bring heavy snow to Central Southern England, South Midlands and London. It was talked up so much that ITN even posted a man in Central London to wait for the snow in the early hours of the morning. The reality was that the Low headed in another direction and gave South Wales, parts of SW England and the SW Midlands a dumping !

The nature of the event is always a little hazardous because milder air is always behind the Low pressure system, even in the classic winters, warm sectors would take hold across SW areas and occasionally further North. However, it looks good for many Southern areas and even better for Mid Wales and the Central Midlands.

Perhaps a bit premature, but Dudley and surrounding areas look set for a pasting.

lol, its allready appearing on the radar and its bloody heavy! ovcoarse the midlands are guna get hammered tommorow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Derek on bbc wales says upto 2cm for Cardiff, looking good for the rest of wales north of Cardiff with west wales becoming milder quickest.

Posted

Good Evening

Well after catching up on the latest it looks like initially we could be one of the worst effected areas being one of the highest areas in the south east. the Chilterns and the downs are looking at estimates of up to six inches in some areas with a average of two to four inches locally.

So i am now going to issue a warning for extreme Mr Crazy Snow Fan Alert posts are likely to be heavy with localised Wooping and sparadic Crazy snow fan english, for those who know him well be warned. :rolleyes:

LO

Posted
Well if the intensity is going to be the same then surely everwhere will have the snow for the same amount of time, it'll just hit at different times thats all. Everyone remember to watch itv weather as they seem to be on the ball

But....but...I didn't say it, they did :rolleyes:

Posted

Just to get everyone in the mood, below is a picture i took in queens garden (Hull city centre) last year from a simular scenario, unfortunately i took these pictures early in the morning, and then by afternoon we had about 1 and a half foot if anyone remembered it last december :rolleyes: . * All over the news *

snow.gif

Posted
Thankyou very much for that, infact can i add you on my friends list?

i 1000000% agree with your comment.

NP. Sure you can :rolleyes:

Back on topic and its seems that the band is weakned ever so slightly. Its still way ahead of schedule still aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Here's my take on it, notice the heavy falls over my house.

post-5029-1170874588_thumb.jpg

lol i like it...a bit for rochdale then..nice one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like me and everyone in herefordshire, worcestershire and the west midlands are in for one super dumping.

Do you think we will see Blizzards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Looks like me and everyone in herefordshire, worcestershire and the west midlands are in for one super dumping.

arent strong winds required?

Posted
lol, youve just coppied the bbc....

On the contrary i've copied the bbc with a white fill for midland areas but what they have failed to rcognise is the heavy precip further north over barnsley. I have fixed this error for them and am happy with the result!

Posted
Your so lucky, Evelyn cusack on rte weather said we wont get any due to an on shore wind. Take some photos if yeh can.

I think the onshore wind is the main problem here too.

Dublin has a better chance though surely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I've had an idea:

Can we have a dedicated picture only topic for people to post pictures in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
arent strong winds required?

They are certainly not going to be calm if forecast correctly!

On the contrary i've copied the bbc with a white fill for midland areas but what they have failed to rcognise is the heavy precip further north over barnsley. I have fixed this error for them and am happy with the result!

you may get some snow but be prepared to be dissapointed if you expect loads.

Posted
Good Evening

Well after catching up on the latest it looks like initially we could be one of the worst effected areas being one of the highest areas in the south east. the Chilterns and the downs are looking at estimates of up to six inches in some areas with a average of two to four inches locally.

So i am now going to issue a warning for extreme Mr Crazy Snow Fan Alert posts are likely to be heavy with localised Wooping and sparadic Crazy snow fan english, for those who know him well be warned. :rolleyes:

LO

hello from down the road :) i hope we are hit hard

Mr Crazysnow fan, now he is 8P

Posted
I think the onshore wind is the main problem here too.

Dublin has a better chance though surely

But i did like the way they showed the atlantic air Clashing with the artic air....She even said they dont know if the atlantic will win!!!!!

Posted
Looks like snow will be of the 'wet' type sticking to everything, as temps and dew points will be close to freezing with a fair bit of moisture arriving in from the Atlantic aloft, the 'dry' type of powder snow which brought the infamous wrong type of snow in Feb 1991 for the then Birtish Rail - is usually the reserve of very cold Easterlies with temperatures and dew points well below freezing.

thanks for the reply mate :-) well, if it's that sort of snow, i'd like to know if we all have our candles ready and some water on standby???? as we all know that the authorities and electricity companies are far less well equiped than they used to be!!!!! :rolleyes:

Posted

Open areas, yes it's quite a possibility. But on a marginal scope, not really, although some drifting will more than likely occur.