Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Maybe the Latter stages of Tomorrow- Depends how much left on it by then-

it COULD be enhanced by the flow off the North Sea- Ya never know.....

S

Is this not getting tedious considering itsjust some frontal snow.Can you imagine if it was getting pushed south by a blowing north easterly. Jesus :lol: ;)

Posted

Hmmm.. I am have a feeling things are starting to downgrade in the south. I was recording -2oC in Woking in Surrey an hour or go, temps are climbing now and the current temp is -0.6oC. Also having seen Peter Gibbs latest forecast, he does appear to have overdone the ramping this afternoon. His charts are showing the main thrust of the prep across central and western areas. Its now almost entirely rain west of a line Swindon to Southampton where as earlier he was showing a lot more in the way of white (snow ) precip. At this rate temps could well be above freezing by midnight in say Surrey, Hants, and Sussex. One to keep an eye on .

Posted
Hi Kippure

Only saving grace here is that the dewpoint is low, currently -2 with the temp +3. It's a pity the front wasn't a couple of hours later as we would have had a chance to get the air tmp. down. Rain or snow - it's certainly on the way!! Would expect ppn in the next hour. Will be glued to the lampost this evening!

Oh bug**r - temp has risen to +3.3 - we're doomed!

As soon as i spoke, the tempeture is dropping ;) .......come on please snow ;) :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
The whole of England is buzzing with the excitement of this heavy snow prospect.

People are posting here faster than I can read them all.

What's the odds in it being a hot sunny day tomorrow in the Midlands?

I have a 40 mile drive to work through the Midlands so that will be interesting.

Why, :lol: ;)

Posted
Lots of talk of the Northern extent of this snow fall but where are we drawing the line in the South. I guess just up the road on Salisbury plain there will be some cover but how is Hampshire going to fair in general??

Whats your current temp we have risen almost 2 degrees in 2-3 hours here in Woking.

Posted
I am not steve, but i say one thing me and him have had some bloody good friendly bets on snow and depth estimations! and i will say i have won my fair share hehe. All steve has to do is think a little and he will know who i am. Only one thing i am not better at than him and thats playing a game that involves " chips " ;)

As for the snow, yes i think you will get some, best chance around 3-6pm onwards before it fizzles out, I am from east yorkshire, I have a little bit better of a chance due to the way the band is pushing.

Saturday looks wicked for both of us though ;) These southerns can have the frontal snow from the west, we will have our beast from the east :lol:

Thanks

must have a chance at a covering in south yorkshire then. I hope our friends in the south get a right pasting! Don't forget there are people who have children that have never seen any real snow. Kids i teach are 16 and they dont believe snow depths measured in feet from my childhood in the 70's and 80's are even possible, poor buggers!

Posted
lol, thats kind of you! Who knows, Everton Fox might sign you up as his aprentice... ;)

Jesus what did i ever do to you :lol:

Posted
must have a chance at a covering in south yorkshire then. I hope our friends in the south get a right pasting! Don't forget there are people who have children that have never seen any real snow. Kids i teach are 16 and they dont believe snow depths measured in feet from my childhood in the 70's and 80's are even possible, poor buggers!

I agree, but if you look back many centuries ago, 1600's - 1700's there was a trend were the north got it, then all got it , then the south got it. I have a fealing and i dont know why, that next winter might be the one on cards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather
Whats your current temp we have risen almost 2 degrees in 2-3 hours here in Woking.

last data I can access at http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGVP.html is 1 /-6 at 18.30 which looks good but the warmer air in the SW seems to be creaping ever closer

Edited by wallopweather

Posted
Jesus what did i ever do to you :lol:

sorry, but you cant expect me to go the whole night without an Everton Foz jibe can you?

Suprisingly even he has predicted this (*shouts* in the short term! ;) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
As soon as i spoke, the tempeture is dropping ;) .......come on please snow ;) :lol:

hi kippure, temp has dropped by .7c since it started snowing,

so you could be lucky if your at elevation

Posted
disappointing bbc forcast Peter Gibbs suggests that it will be rain to arrive in south wales, and with the temps holding up here at 2.1C it looks like cold rain unless everything shunts south another 50 miles or so.

Cardiff Airport TAF

EGFF 071605Z 080024 06013KT 9000 -RASN BKN014 BECMG 0003 4000 -SN

BKN006 TEMPO 0009 2000 SN BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 0307 0500 +SN

VV/// TEMPO 0709 0200 FG BKN000 BECMG 0912 24008KT 8000 NSW

BKN010 BECMG 1214 9999 SCT020 PROB30 TEMPO 1219 6000 SHRAGS

BKN012 BKN025CB

SNOW Midnight to midday Heavy at times.

Posted
Why, ;);)

Ok, so I might have to stay at home.

I will re-consider options of do I have to go to work in the morning. :lol:

Posted
Cardiff Airport TAF

BKN012 BKN025CB

seems to have gone much colder here lately, and the wind is starting to pick up as well. not long now I reckon.

If we're allowed to ask then I might aswell ask what Steve thinks are my chances of a decent amount, not being funny to anyone else, I like to trust Steve as he can read these kind of situations very well

Hi Arrows-

The SE corner is tricky to forecast here-Being on the eastern end of the front we will get the benefit of the colder air, but will have pay the price of a thinner band of PPN-

So from that perspective you may estimate a couple of cms up to 5cm..-

However its not as straight forward as that- once the band reaches the northern limit there will be a period whereby very little movement is observed at all-

If you happen to hit that then upwards of 5cm could accumulate- The issue with respect to that for our region is obviously were aiming perhaps at a smaller target ( Narrow band)

Give it say 4 hours & we will begin to see the pivital point of the Front- then & only then do the assessments & depths begin to gain some credibililty.....

As well as a CLOSE eye on current temps in the Southern regions....

regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
Cardiff Airport TAF

BKN012 BKN025CB

Well I'm glad you got that last line in, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue what the post was about. lol Looks like computer code to me ;)

Posted
Cardiff Airport TAF

BKN012 BKN025CB

Hallelujah!!

I'm 12 miles north of the Airport.

I take it as its an airport its pretty accurate