Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 6

Posted
Met radar for 3:30 out, shows the band of precipitation gaining in intensity as it moves northwards. Heaviest look like it's approaching my location. Band runs from the south coast all the way through berkshire and oxfordshire. Getting heavier all the while :drinks:

Just started in Leighton Buzzard!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Flakes Flakes & not of the cadburys kind.... :drinks:

At last-

Long live the Queen..........

S

Finally eh Steve! :yahoo:

Just out of curiousity to your answer about 15 minutes ago... What is virga?

Posted
I know! I might try and get a bit of sleep if its not snowing by 4:30am and wake up at 6ish but knowing my luck as soon as I go bed it will start snowing and I will wake up and everywhere will be white or my alarm wont go off and I will sleep in to about midday and then wake up and the snow has gone :drinks:

My wife will wake me up, either when she gets in, or if she has problems on the roads...

I might sneak a couple of hours, but I'm determined to see the onset now.

Might go watch some stuff on SKY+ I recorded earlier to fill some time.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

At last-

S

Getting along stronger here in the city now, then i think its moving in your direction. Hope to see alot when i get home

Posted
Finally eh Steve! :drinks:

I'm sure Steve will explain it better than me; but its basically precip evaporating before it enters the lower few thousand feet of the troposphere. Can often be seen as a hanging condensation trail.

Posted

At last-

S

steve M has snow :yahoo::clap:

Posted

Rain or any form of precip that does'nt actually reach the ground. :yahoo:

Posted
Micheal et al'

Its chucking it down here- proper snow & beginning to settle..........

S

FAN-BLOODY TASTIC :D

ahhhhhhh whens it gonna reach me i am going to fall of my chair if something doesnt happen soon , :drinks::yahoo::clap:

Posted

In meteorology, virga is precipitation that falls from a cloud but evaporates before reaching the ground. At high altitudes the precipitation falls mainly as ice crystals before melting and finally evaporating; this is usually due to compressional heating because the air pressure increases closer to the ground. It is very common in the desert.

Virga can cause very interesting weather effects, because as rain is changed from liquid to vapour form, it removes much heat from the air due to the high heat of vaporization of water. These small pockets of extremely cold air then descend rapidly, creating a microburst which can be extremely hazardous to aviation.

Virga also has a role in seeding storm cells, where light particles from one cloud are blown into neighbouring supersaturated air and act as nucleation particles for the next thunderhead cloud to begin forming.

Virga can produce dramatic and beautiful scenes, especially during a red sunset. The red light can be caught by the streamers of falling precipitation, while aloft winds push the bottom ends of the virga so it falls at an angle, making the clouds appear to have commas attached.

Virga is a Latin word for a branch or twig, and hence for objects made from it, as a broom, a staff, or a rod (hence the English word virge).

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

post-500-1170907591_thumb.jpgI've put an example of virga in the attachment below.

Note: the non technical term for virga clouds, people often call them jellyfish clouds because of the striated downward wisps like a jellyfishes tenticles.

Posted

Tonight in Dublin for me is a big let down after being led on so to speak...

Its kinda like you are in a bar and when you first arrive to get a drink, a cracking looking blonde smiles over at you (lets say, FI). You have a couple of drinks and exchange a few more nods and smiles at the blonde (moving into the more reliable timeframe)...

The night progresses and eventually with some dutch courage you go over and start chatting (into 24hr faxes now). Getting on well and thinking I might be lucky here and score, and what a beaut she is, like something I haven't had since the mid '90s (old times nostalgia)...

Last orders are called in the bar and the blonde suggests walking her to a taxi which you happily agree to (some media ramping now, looking good)...

At the taxi rank and she then asks would you like to come back for coffee (Met issue alerts, talk of significant and accumulations + big Red Warning triangles on their charts)...

Bit of banter in the taxi with the blonde, getting on well and nearly back at her place (into the final hurdle now and watching temps/radar like a hawk)...

Taxi pulls up and you hop out (after paying of course) and stroll towards the beauts place...she then says she feels a bit sick and dizzy (temps marginal, lows heading the wrong way and not looking as intense)...

Head on anyway into her place and stick on the kettle, being a gent suggest she takes a seat and you will make the coffee...she sits down looking fairly pale but you clutch a few straws and tell yourself she will be fine after a coffee (willing the temps to drop but 2c with 0 DP is not looking good, also the low has stalled sth of you)...

Coffee made, head back into the sitting room and sit down beside her. Seems to be sleeping so tap her on the shoulder and tell her the coffee is ready...she makes a poor effort to take a sip of the coffee but just about manages before finally puking on the sofa and knocking the coffee from your hand and onto your lap, a nice burning sensation which sobers you up pretty quickly and you then realise its not going to happen. (light precip outside, falling only as rain, temp up to 3c)...

Walking home after throwing a blanket over what was a beaut and to be something that only happens every ten years, you realise that it just wasn't going to happen this time and maybe next week will deliver the goods (back into FI)..

Just thought I would share that with you all before I retire to my bed, a defeated snow starved Dubliner :(

Enjoy your snow, whoever gets it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Holy Hell! I only checked a few minutes ago and there was a dusting! It's now 1cm deeper than it was 5 mins ago....and I can't see 2 lamposts away! :D

Posted

Coming down a treat there in London!

Thanks for the answers to the virga questions guys :D Much appreciated as always.

Posted

Its kinda like you are in a bar and when you first arrive to get a drink, a cracking looking blonde smiles over at you (lets say, FI). You have a couple of drinks and exchange a few more nods and smiles at the blonde (moving into the more reliable timeframe)...

The night progresses and eventually with some dutch courage you go over and start chatting (into 24hr faxes now). Getting on well and thinking I might be lucky here and score, and what a beaut she is, like something I haven't had since the mid '90s (old times nostalgia)...

Last orders are called in the bar and the blonde suggests walking her to a taxi which you happily agree to (some media ramping now, looking good)...

At the taxi rank and she then asks would you like to come back for coffee (Met issue alerts, talk of significant and accumulations + big Red Warning triangles on their charts)...

Bit of banter in the taxi with the blonde, getting on well and nearly back at her place (into the final hurdle now and watching temps/radar like a hawk)...

Taxi pulls up and you hop out (after paying of course) and stroll towards the beauts place...she then says she feels a bit sick and dizzy (temps marginal, lows heading the wrong way and not looking as intense)...

Head on anyway into her place and stick on the kettle, being a gent suggest she takes a seat and you will make the coffee...she sits down looking fairly pale but you clutch a few straws and tell yourself she will be fine after a coffee (willing the temps to drop but 2c with 0 DP is not looking good, also the low has stalled sth of you)...

Coffee made, head back into the sitting room and sit down beside her. Seems to be sleeping so tap her on the shoulder and tell her the coffee is ready...she makes a poor effort to take a sip of the coffee but just about manages before finally puking on the sofa and knocking the coffee from your hand and onto your lap, a nice burning sensation which sobers you up pretty quickly and you then realise its not going to happen. (light precip outside, falling only as rain, temp up to 3c)...

Walking home after throwing a blanket over what was a beaut and to be something that only happens every ten years, you realise that it just wasn't going to happen this time and maybe next week will deliver the goods (back into FI)..

Just thought I would share that with you all before I retire to my bed, a defeated snow starved Dubliner :(

Enjoy your snow, whoever gets it :(

:D:(:D

Post of the year already!!

Posted

Enjoy your snow, whoever gets it :D

Pure quality, just love it! :D:(