Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 6

Posted

Im hoping this slight gap in terms of duration and intensity of ppn which is lined up with oxford and leics and so on will start to fill even more than it already has done, because as it stands were in the gap.

Posted
I wouldnt worry about the temp mate, -1.6 is fine and it was meant to rise to about -1 by 6am for our area, but not get above 1-2c all day so its perfect temperatures for snow really. I'm more worried about the PPN stalling south of me, that would be devastating, but if it does I wont throw a paddy and go mad like some of the guys on here were earlier. I will be truly gutted but there is nothing I can do about it if that happens. If the band reaches me though I shall be a very happy bunny.

Just as well the back gardens been frozen solid for the past 3 days then. Its that that is counting in favour of accumulations, because I don't really want to see the temperature go above freezing once the precipitation arrived. A couple of weeks ago it was a rare event in so far as it was snowing here at -2C - but despite the following days temperature only getting upto 2.5C, it melted from the base upwards. Usually its just above freezing, in which cases you have to rely on the intensity of preciptation. But the ground here is rock hard, so I have no doubts even with air temps upto around 1-2C by perhaps the latter part of the morning, it should either settle, or continue to settle.

You see thats what is counting in my favour, I got down to -8.8C last night, It was -6.7C the previous night, slight blip on Sunday, only about -3C, Saturday was -5C and Friday a surprising -7C from my weather stations history. Sub zero nights here since Thursday, before even the "true" cold air arrived.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
While boards is down, are you going to give any further teasers as to why it might be worth staying up? :rolleyes: Felix btw

Im not darkman still chance of snow but further North the better up round the border area into Southern Northern Ire!

viewimageca9xwhc2tl6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

You may catch the tail.....

Guess that's better than chasing it, which is all I've done for the last few winters around here. Seriously hoping my son gets to see proper snowfall tomorrow morning.

Posted

Still snowing hard and blizzardy here, white covering on stuff, flakes getting a bit smaller. Shame though (for me) that the ppn is advancing so steadily. Diesnt look like its even close to stalling over south or central midlands. And yes, abingdon will be getting snow. Its only a few miles south of here.

Posted
Im not darkman still chance of snow but further North the better up round the border area into Southern Northern Ire!

viewimageca9xwhc2tl6.png

Cheers shrike, I'm in Nth Dublin, as far North as you can go really so I suppose there is a remote chance :rolleyes:

Posted

Well, its made it to within 20 miles of me, in the lap of the gods now.

It doesnt seem to be as heavy or as widespread as predicted, but what the hell

Posted
The snow will make it to Leicester....I'm pretty confident of that.

yes it will, its just not damn well stalling. Its just storming up the country. Doesnt know whats good for itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Snowing here now, spot on with the 5min radar :D Temp 1.6, up from 0 at midnight - seems to be settling. Now its a question of whether to stay up and watch or try & get a couple of hours sleep :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Just as well the back gardens been frozen solid for the past 3 days then. Its that that is counting in favour of accumulations, because I don't really want to see the temperature go above freezing once the precipitation arrived. A couple of weeks ago it was a rare event in so far as it was snowing here at -2C - but despite the following days temperature only getting upto 2.5C, it melted from the base upwards. Usually its just above freezing, in which cases you have to rely on the intensity of preciptation. But the ground here is rock hard, so I have no doubts even with air temps upto around 1-2C by perhaps the latter part of the morning, it should either settle, or continue to settle.

You see thats what is counting in my favour, I got down to -8.8C last night, It was -6.7C the previous night, slight blip on Sunday, only about -3C, Saturday was -5C and Friday a surprising -7C from my weather stations history. Sub zero nights here since Thursday, before even the "true" cold air arrived.

Yeh same here mate, in fact all night since about 10pm the street has been white with frost, popping my head out the window just now and its clouded over and you can feel its not as cold, but thats what usually happens before snow arrives, it goes up a degree or 2 depending on how low the temp is.

Everything still white though and if the snow hits in an hour or 2 I dont doubt that it will settle a treat, I just worry if it will ever reach here at this rate though! That is a great last 5 days in minimum temps you have had though, whoever said this winter was terrible eh! Cant compain with night time minimas of that!

I just cant understand things at the minute with what the midnight BBC forecast and the GFS are predicting... Apperantly the latest BBC forecast was that the snow would reach south midlands and then die out. But the 18z GFS showed it easily reaching my area and then hovering around from a line of the south midlands up to south yorkshire most of the day. That's why I'm nervous, I dont know which forecast will be correct! If the BBC's is then i'm done for.

Posted
yes it will, its just not damn well stalling. Its just storming up the country. Doesnt know whats good for itself.

Latest model runs progs the front and precip to stall just south of Liverpool.....but I'm not sure if that is a tad north of what will be in reality.

Could keep on going as far north as Manchester....

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Well, its made it to within 20 miles of me, in the lap of the gods now.

It doesnt seem to be as heavy or as widespread as predicted, but what the hell

It is coming down in variable spurts of activity! Have a covering now on paths and cars and it has only been snowing about 10 minutes or so. By the end of the night there could be a reasonable amount as long as the front doesn't travel too quickly.

Posted
Cheers shrike, I'm in Nth Dublin, as far North as you can go really so I suppose there is a remote chance :rolleyes:

yep especially since the radar is impossible to get a readin at times from Dublin. Always seems like a monsoon hovering over Dublin even in dry weather. Thinks its to do with the aircraft radar!

Anyway still a good chance of snow showers packin in from Irish sea specially over Dublin!

Posted

Are we still looking at the sort of depths that were being mentioned earlier, 10-15cms in places?

Whats it looking like for E/A and the S/E, i see whats approaching on the radar but the band does'nt look very thick, are we expecting it to pep up or stall over our area? :rolleyes:

Regards.