Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 6

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Snow started here about 10 mins ago. Still smallish flakes, but gradually falling faster and thicker, with much blowing about, and just beginning to settle on cars. Temp has dropped about half a degree from +2C so far.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Met radar for 3:30 out, shows the band of precipitation gaining in intensity as it moves northwards. Heaviest look like it's approaching my location. Band runs from the south coast all the way through berkshire and oxfordshire. Getting heavier all the while :drinks:

Posted
Wouldn't worry about that. Paul said that that often happens in snow set-up's...the very light reds\blue's indicate snow-grains or just lower cloud bases.

On the latest update its not the lightest of light given the shading of the contours, I would expect something falling out of the sky. Either due to low dew points or my postcode is wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Wouldn't worry about that. Paul said that that often happens in snow set-up's...the very light reds\blue's indicate snow-grains or just lower cloud bases.

Phew! *wipes sweat off forehead* this is really nerve wracking :yahoo: That PPN about 50 miles south of me looks fantastic, but I have to wonder if it will arrive in my location still in that sort of shape or a lighter patchier shape that will leave me with about 1cm of snow max and then melt during the day :drinks:

I'm starving, im shattered and im nervous as heck, but I just cant sleep cos I'm too excited/nervous about this situation! The things I do to see some snow, dear oh dear :clap:

Posted
Snowing here now... Took its time. Currently blowing in every direction.... except down :drinks:

:yahoo: good stuff!

Posted

Well its still snowing here in oxford, wiht driving snow, though not quite as dense as at one point, though still perfectly respectable. I suspect its a tad wet though. If there is to be anything major and lasting here it will need to snow for a lot longer, and right now i cant really see where its going to come from on the radar.

Posted

Started/been throwing it down for 20 mins now. Roads already covered with a couple of cms. Think I may be in one of the favoured spots tonight in the Chilterns.

Had to get up - rare event for my kids in this country - saw more snow when we lived in South Africa (until now I woud think).

Jonty

Halton (about 5 miles east of Aylesbury - for easier ID)

Bucks

201m asl

Posted
Phew! *wipes sweat off forehead* this is really nerve wracking :yahoo: That PPN about 50 miles south of me looks fantastic, but I have to wonder if it will arrive in my location still in that sort of shape or a lighter patchier shape that will leave me with about 1cm of snow max and then melt during the day :drinks:

I'm starving, im shattered and im nervous as heck, but I just cant sleep cos I'm too excited/nervous about this situation! The things I do to see some snow, dear oh dear :clap:

andy if it ends up snowin your goin to be knackered tomorrow and probably sleep through the thaw and wonder what all the fuss was about :D

Posted

Look at the 330 radar people in the SE !!!!!!

S

Thats me ,b ut still no snow yet i am back and forward looking at my lampost like a headless chicken at the moment , i should be in bed really go to get kids up for school at 7am thats if the school isnt closed that is , (hoping)

Will keep you updated when,it happens here

Regards

Michesnowsbest

Posted

Hehe....well that's what I've been used to thus far from this cold-snap; getting light dustings of snow less than 1cm and having it melt during the day.

Posted

we have had snow on and off for the last 3hrs here on the mendips and it has not come to anything just phoned our weather service and they informed me that we will see this until around about 6am rain and sleet on the low ground and snow on the high ground this band that is moving up through the country seems to be getting lighter i think it will not cause problems like they were making out the big dumpings are not going to happen :drinks:

Posted
Started/been throwing it down for 20 mins now. Roads already covered with a couple of cms. Think I may be in one of the favoured spots tonight in the Chilterns.

Had to get up - rare event for my kids in this country - saw more snow when we lived in South Africa (until now I woud think).

Jonty

Halton (about 5 miles east of Aylesbury - for easier ID)

Bucks

201m asl

Awesome, glad to hear theres snow in aylesbury. Can't be to far from milton keynes now, 5-10miles minimum. I'm about half your altitude @ 98m ASL. Looking good for a good fall if your reporting that much at your height :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
andy if it ends up snowin your goin to be knackered tomorrow and probably sleep through the thaw and wonder what all the fuss was about :drinks:

I know! I might try and get a bit of sleep if its not snowing by 4:30am and wake up at 6ish but knowing my luck as soon as I go bed it will start snowing and I will wake up and everywhere will be white or my alarm wont go off and I will sleep in to about midday and then wake up and the snow has gone :yahoo:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
I know! I might try and get a bit of sleep if its not snowing by 4:30am and wake up at 6ish but knowing my luck as soon as I go bed it will start snowing and I will wake up and everywhere will be white and then my alarm wont go off and I will sleep in to about midday and then wake up and the snow has gone :drinks:

:yahoo::clap:

Posted
Met radar for 3:30 out, shows the band of precipitation gaining in intensity as it moves northwards. Heaviest look like it's approaching my location. Band runs from the south coast all the way through berkshire and oxfordshire. Getting heavier all the while :drinks:

It looks ok, but your in milton keynes so not more than 25-30 miles away from me. And my reading of it is that theres not more than an hours snow left, with the rate the band is moving at. So well get a couple of inches perhaps down here where i am, but not enough to really give a base, and therell be a rapid thaw. Having said that, on my narrow, sheltered, sloping windowsill, one foot from a radiator other side of the glass, there is close to, if not a whole inch already, so maybe, if the snow keeps falling at present rate, ill get something worthwhile here. Good covering all around at the moment. Everythings very white.

Posted

Wind has picked up now and I can just make out 1 or 2 flakes starting to blow in the wind.

Looking good, has that lovely cold freezer smell that you get before heavy snow :drinks: