Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 6

Posted

Temp finally dropped from 3c to 2c at Dublin Airport :rolleyes:

Location Wind Weather Temp Humidity Rain Pressure

Dir Speed(Kts) oC (%) (mm) (hPa)

DUBLIN AIRPORT SE 21 Gust 32 LIGHT RAIN 2 90 0.6 986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
The snow will make it to Leicester....I'm pretty confident of that.

If you are right PP then I might just have to ask that woman you love to meet you, hows that sound for a reward? :rolleyes:

Posted

Woke up at 3AM, and it was raining heavily. Just the odd bit of sleet and the temp was 3.0C and Dew point 1.9C. I really thought that was it a damp squib, as was forecast for here at 6m ASL.

But, temp now 1.8C and falling at 0.8C/hr and dew point 0.8C and that is in half an hour! We now have heavy wet snow whooohhhooo. Not settling after 4mm of rain earlier, but that could change.

Posted
yep especially since the radar is impossible to get a readin at times from Dublin. Always seems like a monsoon hovering over Dublin even in dry weather. Thinks its to do with the aircraft radar!

Anyway still a good chance of snow showers packin in from Irish sea specially over Dublin!

The question though is, is it worth staying up for potentially nothing?! And get more grief off the wife!

Posted

Based on the BBC forecasts it was due to arrive here about 6am, however I suspect it will arrive in about an hour.

Whilst I'm obviously fairly excited about it, my wife is on a nightshift at Northampton General and will be driving home about 8am. That tempers my excitement, because i'm bothered about all the potential faff on the roads. If it takes her hours to get home, I will be particularly annoyed given the warnings. Similarly, if people coming in for the dayshift "can't make it in", as the only senior nurse on duty in intensive care, she'll be duty bound to stay there longer. So a 12 hour nightshift potential becomes a 15 hour nightshift, or a 20 minute drive home becomes a 2 hour drive, or its all a damp squib.

Posted
Yeh same here mate, in fact all night since about 10pm the street has been white with frost, popping my head out the window just now and its clouded over and you can feel its not as cold, but thats what usually happens before snow arrives, it goes up a degree or 2 depending on how low the temp is.

Everything still white though and if the snow hits in an hour or 2 I dont doubt that it will settle a treat, I just worry if it will ever reach here at this rate though! That is a great last 5 days in minimum temps you have had though, whoever said this winter was terrible eh! Cant compain with night time minimas of that!

I just cant understand things at the minute with what the midnight BBC forecast and the GFS are predicting... Apperantly the latest BBC forecast was that the snow would reach south midlands and then die out. But the 18z GFS showed it easily reaching my area and then hovering around from a line of the south midlands up to south yorkshire most of the day. That's why I'm nervous, I dont know which forecast will be correct! If the BBC's is then i'm done for.

It will make it to you andy, its not looking anything like it will stall any time soon. And its not that far from you. And the temperature thing is incredible. We too had hard frost, and freezing temps. Then in the hours before snow it got cloudy and temps rose to 1.5C roughyl. Then snow came and were down to -0.8C, and white blanket on everything. Snow flakes still mini blizzarding down, and smaller and a bit smaller and drier now. Much more efficient.

Ive gotta say though, much though i love the radar and its cool, its very inaccurate really, particularly at postcode level, where greens hop all over the place, and a swathe of dark blue will suddenly in 5 minutes become a swathe of light blue and be in a different place. Right now it looks like im headed for quite a while of very light blues ina few minutes, but the blues look strange and blocky and were darker five mins ago, so i dont know what to think

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Things are looking interesting now, snow not to far away from here according to the radar. Also worth noting the progression northwards has slowed ever so slightly in the last 30mins. So the front should start to intensify as it slows further :rolleyes:

Posted
Are we still looking at the sort of depths that were being mentioned earlier, 10-15cms in places?

Whats it looking like for E/A and the S/E, i see whats approaching on the radar but the band does'nt look very thick, are we expecting it to pep up or stall over our area? :rolleyes:

Regards.

At the moment it doesnt look good for those amounts - the band looks far too narrow and fast moving and patchy. But well see, because if all the weedy light blues behind can pack in and pep up, then who knows

Posted

Am I imagining things has the snow stopped moving this way altogether? Last time I looked it was much closer. :rolleyes:

Is there a large wall somewhere to the south that I don't know about?

Posted

Just wondering, as the radar is showing the snow before it actually arrives, could this be a sign of the front begining to stall a little, or am I just talking cak?

Posted
The question though is, is it worth staying up for potentially nothing?! And get more grief off the wife!

Of course it is lol- Only jokin can't see heavy snow for Dublin or even up here in Belfast so maybe go to bed and keep the wife happy hehe :rolleyes:

Posted

Its back to the drawing board for us rain soaked outcasts. Im giving the charts another couple of weeks then im done till next year. I hope you all do well tonight and get some much needed snow(necessary for survival for some it seems, not mentioning andy_leic22) : dont forget to put your photos up.

I have to go to bed now with the rain lashing against my window just above my head, awww poor me.....i may just cellotape some pillows to my ears and sleep standing up in the wardrobe. nighty night night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
According to the radar we've been having light snow for the past 45 minutes or so, ahead of the main band.

It hasn't.

Classic example of the ana-prop I was talking about. I'm sure the band is lighter and further south than the radars are ramping up, according to the latest radar its snowing lightly over me but its dry as bone.

Posted

I just can't believe the turn around here, Dew point now 0.3C and temp 1.3C and the snow is really coming down. Southcoast and only 6m ASL!

Classic example of the ana-prop I was talking about. I'm sure the band is lighter and further south than the radars are ramping up, according to the latest radar its snowing lightly over me but its dry as bone.

Maybe Virga-

S

Posted

Good to see that some snow has finally arrived for some and more to come hopefully. Not sure whether i will ever see any again!!! :drinks:

temperature currently 29.3 , partly cloudy.

Gareth

Posted

Wouldn't worry about that. Paul said that that often happens in snow set-up's...the very light reds\blue's indicate snow-grains or just lower cloud bases.

Posted
Its back to the drawing board for us rain soaked outcasts.

I have to go to bed now with the rain lashing against my window just above my head, awww poor me.....i may just cellotape some pillows to my ears and sleep standing up in the wardrobe. nighty night night

:drinks::yahoo: rain soaked outcasts - I like it lol

Posted

Light flakes just started in the city of London, Fleet street area,

:drinks: Dallas