Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted

I went out shopping for a couple of hours and there were flurries of snow on and off in the gusty wind but no settling.

Then on my way back i got caught in a heavy snow shower. Small and thick powdery flakes which led to a dusting everywhere. My balcony has turned white with no thawing.

The met office radar is a picture! The showers frequent and getting heavier. They seem to be crossing the Pennines with no effort.

I think most of us will have a covering by the morning.

Also, have a look at the satellite pics to see the clouds gathering pace in Belgium, Holland and Germany. They are tomorrows snow!

Karyo

Posted
Hi,

we had a light coverng before, but it's gone now :yahoo: - as usual for Blackpool!

What do you think the chances are for snow on the balmy coast line? :D

Praying for some, not had any snowfall worth mentioning since feb 6 1996! It's a long time...

I think the chances are pretty good to very good, this set up seems to be impressive. Strong winds are pushing that snow over the pennines and I can see that much of the north west from merseyside northwards along the coasts, manchester, oldham et al getting a pretty good dumping from this one..its been a very long time for something with the right conditions..temps are perfect, the dp is right, and wet bulb temps are good for it too.

All in all i think much of if not all of the nw will get something even at lower elevations..dont be surprised to see 5-10cm at low level in the contined snow..the gfs is looking good for continous snowfall for a long time 8-10 hours of continous snow..we'll have to wait and see, the main band I cant see moving in until well past midnight tonight for the heavier prolonged stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
I went out shopping for a couple of hours and there were flurries of snow on and off in the gusty wind but no settling.

Then on my way back i got caught in a heavy snow shower. Small and thick powdery flakes which led to a dusting everywhere. My balcony has turned white with no thawing.

The met office radar is a picture! The showers frequent and getting heavier. They seem to be crossing the Pennines with no effort.

I think most of us will have a covering by the morning.

Also, have a look at the satellite pics to see the clouds gathering pace in Belgium, Holland and Germany. They are tomorrows snow!

Karyo

I know i can't believe that they are crossing the peninnes so easily especially when the BBC graphics seem to totally rule out anything this side of the hills :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
We have a slight covering which has actually settled, i know it's not much but hopefully we'll get more

n1085265361_30087300_5366.jpg

Where abouts in Wigan are you - i have had no suck luck yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
I know i can't believe that they are crossing the peninnes so easily especially when the BBC graphics seem to totally rule out anything this side of the hills :yahoo:

just a shame that they are fizzling out a bit to our east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

snow melting on the ground, close to to settling before but not quite there, the ground is just too warm!

Currently 1.2C with snow flurries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

currently -1.5C here with intermitent snow and gusty winds

got a slight covering now but no more than that

could be an interesting evening coming up

Posted

Don't know if I might have got carried away about overnight prospects for the NW area lol - (mind you I did say it during a mini-blizzard) but it looks like there's a slight fragmentation on what's coming in from the east, so it may actually not be as bad as initially thought. Still on for a more excitable night tomorrow night though!

Posted

looking at the satellite on meto and checking the radar here..there is an aweful lot of fragmentation going on, both this side of the pennines and even to the east..i hope we loose this fragmentation tonight, if we do happy days for us..because like now i think it will easily get over the pennines without much of a problem..if it stays fragmented, it might spoil much of the fun.

Posted

Light snow showers, on and off in Summerseat. Whilst not a great location in an Easterly, there is a dusting. Hoping this spell, or maybe some frontal activity later in the week, can equal the two westerly snow events earlier in the winter.

Posted
Light snow showers, on and off in Summerseat. Whilst not a great location in an Easterly, there is a dusting. Hoping this spell, or maybe some frontal activity later in the week, can equal the two westerly snow events earlier in the winter.

Those westerly snow events for us up here in the nw was a complete waste of space, sst's far too warm, we then had a nw incursion that produced nothing again..too early in the season, again sst's modified the temps and we got rain..but yes a good nw would be nice..but anything from the west is only ever going to produce rain because of the mild atlantic.

I find it ironic that the direction this is coming from we are getting something from it this time, yet in the ideal setup's say from the nw or even a northerly..which isnt the best for us in the nw really we havent all winter season.

yet this is february, so we should not be so surprised with a snow event lol

Snowing here in warrington for last 15mins or so, got that feeling things can only get worse!!!

we have nothing here at the moment, but since your only a few miles down the road, we should be seeing that soon, especially looking on the radar

Posted

we have nothing here at the moment, but since your only a few miles down the road, we should be seeing that soon, especially looking on the radar

Posted

you would have thought so

:D:):) just stopped here :););)

just checked outside putting the dog out, and nothing..seems to have fragmented by the time it got here, clouds are pretty much broken here.

Posted

We have had light snow flurries/graupel or polysteryne snow as I call it through the afternoon, there is a slight cover on grass, roofs but not much - still pleasantly surprised as we are quite far west, although I guess we are not very sheltered from any NE/E wind.

I'm expecting a slight cover in the morning perhaps a couple of cms, real fun and games will be tomorrow evening and night, lets hope the snow doesn't fragment over the Pennines, the wind will certainly push it this way, further you are to the pennines better the chance of seeing heavy snow in this neck of the woods, favoured spots will be east lancashire, eastern parts of greater manchester and cheshire and also east and south east cumbria, less snow nearer the coast.

Posted
finally, it's just started to snow again, quite big flakes mixed in with what looks like more or less pellets

How come your gettig it but hotcuupa isn't??? your both in the same location???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
Where abouts in Wigan are you - i have had no suck luck yet

Winstanley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
no snow here

Where's here? could you put you location in your avatar?

Posted

sorry no snow here in bromborough on the wirral...Does anyone think we will get any??.news just said no chance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
sorry no snow here in bromborough on the wirral...Does anyone think we will get any??.news just said no chance?

I would say there's a chance you might catch the odd snow shower, just don't expect any significant accumulations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

You havent had any? Im in Heswall and it's been snowing but melting on impact with the ground. We should get some but we wont get much if we do, its like a desert here :D