Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
What's the best settings for a camera to take night photos? Flash isn't a good option and I'm baffled by iso's etc. Thanks

the higher the iso the better in the dark. It also produces more noise (grainy appearance - often purple and green pixels) but detects what light there is more efficiently. Otherwise, you want to use slower shutter speeds. During the night you need to set shutter speeds in excess of 5 seconds on a cloudy night to get a clear image. So if you can do that (note you'll also need a tripod or some way of holding it completely still or you'll get a big blur). Alternatively, you might have a night setting so use that (same rules about keeping the cam motionless apply)

Posted

can we nip this 'the roads haven't been gritted' concensus in the bud early doors?! my road was gritted at 7pm. when the snow falls, it does so with such an intensity that the salt cannot stop it accumulating. then the snow is compacted and becomes solid ice- it takes a while for the salt to do it's thing, and if its constantly being topped up from above, no amount of salt is going to have an effect!

Edited by tasty_snacks

Posted
can we nip this 'the roads haven't been gritted' concensus in the bud early doors?! my road was gritted at 7pm. when the snow falls, it does so with such an intensity that the salt cannot stop it accumulating. then the snow is compacted and becomes solid ice- it takes a while for the salt to do it's thing, and if its constantly being topped up from above, no amount of salt is going to have an effect!

Too true mate im in raynes park roads were gritted execpt side roads and once the blizzard hit the gritt standed no chance. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Breaking News From BBC...

All London buses withdrawn due to dangerous road conditions!

Posted

Here are some pictures of a snowy Croydon :) I forgot to change the camera date :)

post-2721-1233536736_thumb.jpg

post-2721-1233536784_thumb.jpg

post-2721-1233536819_thumb.jpg

post-2721-1233536856_thumb.jpg

post-2721-1233536919_thumb.jpg

Posted

Super photos everyone, I have a camera waiting to be used but no batteries (as per usual!).

Yes but, around here, there has been no grit at all, the local council seems to have been caught out, maybe its because usually they go mad and grit everywhere and then nothing happens, so this time they've decided to ignore weather forecasts, crafty British weather. :)

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Four inches (10 cm) level here in Putney (sort of outer inner London), and it's still falling merrily - and more to come tomorrow......?

Unquestionably the best snowfall here since Feb 1991, though has a fair bit to go before it equals that (ten inches over 2-3 days).

Ossie

Posted
BBC NEWS: All London Buses withdrawn.

CORRECT...BREAKING NEWS......ALL BUSES IN INNER/OUTER LONDON HAVE BEEN RECALLED/SUSPENDED DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS

Posted

Absolutely surreal conditions here, 1980's revisited PLUS!!

Snowing hard with 2-3 inches on the ground and all roads impassable!!!

Posted
CORRECT...BREAKING NEWS......ALL BUSES IN INNER/OUTER LONDON HAVE BEEN RECALLED/SUSPENDED DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS

An exact repeat of 2nd March 2005! That was an easterly and that also saw continuous snow showers all day long, with 30cm on the Downs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

The snow is coming down and settling in Reading now.

outside.jpg

Posted

Yep, idea that I suggested earlier of 9 inches looking very probable now given some places near the thames are already nearly half way there just 4-6hrs into the event...

Even here in Chichester I've got about an inch and this isn't even the main zone for snowfall!

Posted

not good in london at all, lisening to LBC radio, loads stuck on m25, and on hills in london, just had our 1st proper shower here ,few more of them and shoud ave around 1" by morning

Posted

national rail have also just announced that the following train companies are subject to severe disruption & cancellations;

Southeastern

First Capital Connect

Southern

South West Trains

that will be complete by tomorrow, so no going to work. think i'll pour myself another glass, sit back, and enjoy the show....