Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

A pic just posted on another (non weather) forum. Probably from the south somewhere but no location was mentioned.

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0317pm4.jpg

20cm ish? :D

(Topic is here for anyone who wishes to see pics from elsewhere : http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthrea...1537&page=6 )

Nice picture- Still managing to maintain heavy snowfall- infact the last 15 mins have bordered on the neaviest so far-

radar in the estuary has the same amount of showers, just ever so slightly weaker-

PPN picks up onshore anyway-

S

Posted

According to the met office radar from 2am there's a stream of showers running from about Folkestone to Brighton and then again to Chichester (where you are Kold) and Portsmouth. :D

Would anyone be able to post an image of the NW radar for my area?

Posted

Amazing photos Ross, would love to see snow that deep and I suspect a fair few places won't be too dissimilar from that near the Thames region.

Snowfall coming down heavier again here as well, must be getting towards 2 inches now.

Hellboy, seems like a streamer sort of set-up coming in from close to the Dover zone, certainly a rather big surprise I have to admit!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Hi mate im in between morden and raynes park stonecott hill to be precise. :D

much ta. think i'll grab a few hours shut-eye, then strike out in that direction before dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Well more Alpine snow falling as we speak, so realistically closing in fast on 4 inches which is the magic 10cms-

I suupose if I am lucky I could sqeeze another 5-7 cms out over night- which would get me to 6 inches-

I would then need 7 inches tomorrow to break my 1991 record-

hows the streamer-?

Nice snow over CB9 at the moment...

S

It's looking very good Steve :D Slight southward movement of the streamer has now put me in the firing line for the next 1/2 hours with snow showers developing - once there 10/15 miles inland.

2 pretty potent ones about the strike (and close together) :D with more developing behind......

Another 3/4cm is possible here before 06:00

S

Posted
That's appalling! :D:D

Time's certainly have changed... I remember on the railways BR used to have to pay for a taxi (or even a hotel room) if the train didn't complete its journey. It happened to me and I got a freeby 25 mile taxi ride home.

Haven't these employers heard of the internet? In 'extreme' weather the police advise people to only travel if their journey's essential... makes less work for them when they're flat out. And what happens if having struggled in they can't get home again (quite likely with more snow on the way tomorrow) I'd expect the employer to book hotel rooms for the stranded staff. As for keeping an eye on those with children what happens if the school's shut? 5 year olds home alone?

It was well forecast, it wasnt a surprise. Heres some news for you: you are expected to deal with it, in such a way that you can carry out your normal duties for which you are employed.

After all, you expect me to continue to employ you through a not so well forecast and deep recession, dont you?

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

After a brief lull, it's now falling more heavily than at any point since I've been watching (though I missed the first big dump at around 7-8 pm). We're now up to 5" and more, though as always with gusty winds it's variable and difficult to be precise.

Reluctant to go to bed, really, but I must do if I'm to be up fairly early to take some unsullied photos!

Posted
1/3 of a way up the car wheel is 20cm?

Mind you, if everyone is having a day off school every time it snows, no wonder you cant estimate height/depth reasonably.

Its still not enough to be "snowed in" to warrant a day off work, and this is clearly an exceptional case.

Pretty hard to tell form the photo, hence the "ish". Not to mention that those depths are on the road, the grass should be much deeper.

You seem a bit grumpy this evening, maybe you should get some sleep so that you don't have a negative effect on your work rate tomorrow? :D

Posted

Snowfall really picked up in the last 5 mins, now back upto heavy I'd say, looking very impressive, band just seems to keep on developing east of Brighton.

Anyway Thames snow streamer still packing in from the Estuary and as Steve has said there will likely be another 2-3 inches of snow before things ease off a little before the 2nd event begins...

Posted
Pretty hard to tell form the photo, hence the "ish". Not to mention that those depths are on the road, the grass should be much deeper.

You seem a bit grumpy this evening, maybe you should get some sleep so that you don't have a negative effect on your work rate tomorrow? :doh:

Good call, Ross!

Once I've finished Sunday's work, I'll be gone.

In all seriousness, enjoy your snow...

Posted

It's so tragic. I'm not used to missing out on the best stuff. We had just 2 inches when i last looked 2 hours ago and I havent been looking since for reasons of superstition. But on the radar we're in that corridor between the southern streamer and the huge sprawling streamer to the north. We seem to be in line to catch a narrow, weak stream seeting up just to the north of the southern streamer which is some compensation, but it's still a tad frustrating.

Posted

Well just took a break from the net went downstairs looked outside the frount and back door and we are a few inches snowed in now :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well more Alpine snow falling as we speak, so realistically closing in fast on 4 inches which is the magic 10cms-

I suupose if I am lucky I could sqeeze another 5-7 cms out over night- which would get me to 6 inches-

I would then need 7 inches tomorrow to break my 1991 record-

hows the streamer-?

Nice snow over CB9 at the moment...

S

I'm in CB8! It's been great... I can't wait for dawn when I'm going to do some serious tobogganing (the joys of being a humble lowly housewife).

Here's some pics taken a couple of hours ago... think we're getting on 6 or 7 cms by now.

post-8078-1233543185_thumb.jpg

post-8078-1233543216_thumb.jpg

Posted
Snowfall really picked up in the last 5 mins, now back upto heavy I'd say, looking very impressive, band just seems to keep on developing east of Brighton.

Anyway Thames snow streamer still packing in from the Estuary and as Steve has said there will likely be another 2-3 inches of snow before things ease off a little before the 2nd event begins...

Well, I'm in Southwark, SE1 for the week atm and there is 13cm of snow here with drifts of 8 inches. It is truly spectacular...just finished from snowballing. Second event should bring another 3-4 inches before its done. All very exciting stuff. Snow has stopped here at the moment but looks like restarting again.

In birmingham, sod all is happening atm.

Quick question: Am I being affected by the Thames Snow Streamer or are these just showers??

Regards, hgb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes its chucking it down over here again, temps must be pretty low because the flakes are pretty small though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Got some pics from Notting Hill, (West/Central London), hope you like them:

They were taken a couple of hours ago, so there is far more depth now.

post-2587-1233543176_thumb.jpg

(Edit: For some reason the picture quality is pooh, will try and work that out)

post-2587-1233543249_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1233543368_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1233543416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Well just took a break from the net went downstairs looked outside the frount and back door and we are a few inches snowed in now :doh:

:D LOVELY! :D

There seems to be around 4 Streamers going at the moment-

The herts one, the thames one, the one across kent- looks to be Inn on the lake sort of way straddling NW/SE & the west sussex one-

The updated 245 NW radar shows a lot more green building in the stuary again-

the fat streamer lady hasnt even left home yet-

bloody hell- the 00z will be running soon-

Another Surrey member- remember im forecasting around 20 inches for your region- all said & done- your at 7.5 now-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
its not mate im getting a bit worried tbh :D

worried? why? About what? your not stuck up on the side of a mountain are you in sw london? :doh: