Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Hi stratty, I thought that too, but as we saw on Monday afternoon, same as what is about to happen this evening, when the winds start coming up from France/Belgium, milder air comes up all the time......The infamous Mild Easterly/South Easterly.

I wonder if a realy big freeze in Europe is require? Seems our cold air has to always be sourced well East for it to produce the goods for the SE.

IE, Eastern Europe/Russia, Siberia, Scandi.

it was a strange one, as we had uppers of -13c at one stage! Most disappointing!!!

Posted

I too have been lurking over the past few days, but have found the science and general chat very interesting.

I was surprised that the BBC have forecast rain tonight. It certainly feels very cold here in Ealing, west London.

I would expect sleet or even snow from this "feeling".

I am no expect however, and I guess it's rain for us...

Lying snow in my garden is still 2-3 inches though, so only half has thawed.

I doubt this helps you forecast however! :lol:

Posted

so come on TEITS and Nick F

what's your view on tonight and the next 36/48 hours? :lol:

Welcome to NW to you too downpour :)

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
it was a strange one, as we had uppers of -13c at one stage! Most disappointing!!!

those uppers went over us so quickly, all in all it was just a very narrow band of cold upper air. But how do we get a more prolonged blast though, particularly when Milder air ALWAYS moves back North all the time from France, I thought that the continent was meant to be at its coldest in February. :lol:

Posted
Is it Raining Yet :lol: :):)
:D

hope not, i am about to go get a drink from tesco

have you still got laying snow there Paul. still a little bit here in C London when i came into work tonight

Posted

I too have been lurking over the past few days, but have found the science and general chat very interesting.

I was surprised that the BBC have forecast rain tonight. It certainly feels very cold here in Ealing, west London.

[/quot

I agree. I think London will see a lot of snow again tonight. Just a feeling. A lot of people are fretting for no reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Welcome Downpoar, and to the other new member Welcome as well.

Guess thats what we are all trying to work out, think a short spell of snow is likely for many.

South and East of London, 15-30 minutes worth.

West and North of London maybe 30- 1hr.

Locations 25/30 miles North of London maybe 2/3 hours or more! :)

Posted
so come on TEITS and Nick F

what's your view on tonight and the next 36/48 hours? :lol:

Welcome to NW to you too downpour :)

Thanks! I was pretty surprised that no-one had taken my name - I guess that it's because many people on here hate rain? I'm a boring gardener so I'm afraid I do rather like rain at the right times...

Anyway, liking this winter, it's a pretty interesting one really. I still think we will see some snowflakes tonight up on Ealing hill as it's just too cold here to rain until much later - then it will wash away the slush which, too be honest, is looking pretty ugly around London.

Be nice to see some more snow though before the end of the winter - still, what, seven more weeks to go?

Posted

Evening Folks

I still think we will only see rain to the South and East of London, the temps will rise as the clouds roll over, having said that the lying snow in the side roads here in SE London is frozen hard and very dangerous at the moment.

Wonder if I will be suprised when I wake up at 5:00am tomorrow... probably not... I expect rain and the snow to have been washed away

Cheers

FC

Posted
:rofl:

hope not, i am about to go get a drink from tesco

have you still got laying snow there Paul. still a little bit here in C London when i came into work tonight

Hi Mick

Yeah we still have about 1cm on the grass and Horrible Horrible Ice all over the Pavements, Snowmen are all doing fine and still have the Carrots in the Heads :D In terms of Dewpoints all looking favourable for a Transitionary period of Snow more to the North and West of our region, turning readily back to Sleet and Rain by dawn, If you get up really early say 5-6am you "Might" just still see a Covering of Wet Snow (The heavy hanging Kind on the Trees) A Grim day in the South East tomorrow, Cold and Raw and Drizzly before maybe a few bright periods before Dusk.

Hope some do well, If I was going to pick out a few Regions then it would be Bucks, Beds, Oxons and Tiets House to name but 4

Paul S

Posted
so come on TEITS and Nick F what's your view on tonight and the next 36/48 hours? :D

Oh i see Steve M is about too. what's your views Steve? :rofl:

Posted
I agree. I think London will see a lot of snow again tonight. Just a feeling. A lot of people are fretting for no reason.

i do hope so jimmy. just popped out to grab a bottle of wine on bellenden road, and there is still ice and snow lying a plenty. this will assist in keeping the temps down.

that said, i will refuse to be disappointed should the ppn be of the wet & soggy variety. we have had the time of our lives here over the last 36 hours!

did you see the igloo on goose green, btw? :rofl:

Posted

Some pavements are absolutely terrible here - I actually fell right over on one of them. It's -2.0c, top temp today of 2.9c. There's still 5-7cm in places, but it's terrible for making snowballs.

Looks like tonight we could get snow to begin with but I think this will be wet/turn to sleet before I wake up.

Hi Mick

Yeah we still have about 1cm on the grass and Horrible Horrible Ice all over the Pavements, Snowmen are all doing fine and still have the Carrots in the Heads :doh: In terms of Dewpoints all looking favourable for a Transitionary period of Snow more to the North and West of our region, turning readily back to Sleet and Rain by dawn, If you get up really early say 5-6am you "Might" just still see a Covering of Wet Snow (The heavy hanging Kind on the Trees) A Grim day in the South East tomorrow, Cold and Raw and Drizzly before maybe a few bright periods before Dusk.

Hope some do well, If I was going to pick out a few Regions then it would be Bucks, Beds, Oxons and Tiets House to name but 4

Paul S

Do you reckon so Paul? I'm expecting rain here in north bucks.. After perhaps some snow turning to rain..

Posted

Hi Mituozo, Yes it should turn to Rain eventually even for Bucks but much later than 80% of the South East, High Wycombe and places with Elevation could do quite well before it becomes unfavourable.

Notice I only went as far ahead as Thursday evening with my little forecast above :lol: Would not even want to call it 24 hours ahead at this stage. In fact anything could happen from 00z Friday onwards and I dont even think the Meto Know what will happen in the Friday-Saturday range at this stage. :doh:

Paul S

Hi Mituozo, Yes it should turn to Rain eventually even for Bucks but much later than 80% of the South East, High Wycombe and places with Elevation could do quite well before it becomes unfavourable.

Notice I only went as far ahead as Thursday evening with my little forecast above :) Would not even want to call it 24 hours ahead at this stage. In fact anything could happen from 00z Friday onwards and I dont even think the Meto Know what will happen in the Friday-Saturday range at this stage. :D

Paul S

Ah, I have friends in and around High Wycombe, they got a fair amount from the snow the other day, I'll be driving to Wycombe tomorrow if they get another dumping and we miss out I think!

360 feet ASL here.. Think they're around 600-650. No doubt enough to make a considerable difference in such a setup.

Posted
Hi Mick Yeah we still have about 1cm on the grass and Horrible Horrible Ice all over the Pavements, Snowmen are all doing fine and still have the Carrots in the Heads :D In terms of Dewpoints all looking favourable for a Transitionary period of Snow more to the North and West of our region, turning readily back to Sleet and Rain by dawn, If you get up really early say 5-6am you "Might" just still see a Covering of Wet Snow ...
well i am on my way home from work at 7 so may have a sight of some slushy stuff

Posted
oh dear, humidity shooting up as moist air continues to be pumped up, 0.4C, dewpoint -1.7C now

We still have 0.7 deg and a dewpoint of -3.4, but I guess that's gonna change in the next couple of hours. There is quite a lot of ppn heading over the channel so whatever we end up with here will make for a rotten journey into work in the morning!!!