Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Trouble is they're damed if the do and damed if they don't. I went to the Met Office last saturday for a tour and we met a guy called Robin who said to us that this week just gone would be almost impossible to forecast!!!!

But 90% of the ppl on here that have even the mere vaguest idea could see quite clearly that many of the weather warnings were all wrong, they have vast amounts of data, an army of people working for the organisation and another army of TV weather presenters, IE: BBC, ITV, SKY, and all of the various regional presenters! Must cost a fortune and yet they cant seem to keep up with events! What exactly do they do all day? (Particularly the regional forcecasters once they have done their recording for the next few hours.....then a new presented turns up and does his live bit for 2 mins and recording.....)

As one elderly gentleman put it last night: I did check the forecast very carefully before I set out on my journey and it said a bit of icey rain this evening!

Poor man was stuck in a foot of snow in Devon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Hmmm very dark clouds comming into Eastbourne but with an apparent temp 8.2 and dew point at 5.5 ive got a feeling it might not be very snowy....

Temp here in Preston Park, Brighton is 3.6 and dewpoint is 2.2.. it is getting lower quite rapidly over the day.

Posted
Bits of ice/ Rain & Slop falling here in Bex-

Guess this is the start of 5-10CM

S

Steve could you tell me if that is a polar low up on the east coast of scotland and if it has a chance of making it down the coast to us?

If it did would i be right is saying that it could give a fair amount of snow somwhere near the coast of kent and other places of course?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

BBC radar 2.00 shows the northern edge of the snow in East Anglia has completely died out, so there is nothing left to move south - looks like we've nicked it all guys, unless anything else comes up from the South i guess thats it for us today. All thats left to do is wait for the freeze now.

Posted
But 90% of the ppl on here that have even the mere vaguest idea could see quite clearly that many of the weather warnings were all wrong, they have vast amounts of data, an army of people working for the organisation and another army of TV weather presenters, IE: BBC, ITV, SKY, and all of the various regional presenters! Must cost a fortune and yet they cant seem to keep up with events! What exactly do they do all day? (Particularly the regional forcecasters once they have done their recording for the next few hours.....then a new presented turns up and does his live bit for 2 mins and recording.....)

As one elderly gentleman put it last night: I did check the forecast very carefully before I set out on my journey and it said a bit of icey rain this evening!

For a more realistic forecast, I have always taken a look on Netweather - I rarely use the media for any forecasts now - Apart from the MetO for warnings!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
Temp here in Preston Park, Brighton is 3.6 and dewpoint is 2.2.. it is getting lower quite rapidly over the day.

Weeeel we are the suntrap of the south you know and traditionally mild! my brother lives in brighton and you had loads more snow than us, infact as soon as you went about a mile away from Eastbourne there was more than double the amount, my better half works in lewes and she said it was amazing how cold and snowy it was there compared to here. sigh.

Posted
BBC radar 2.00 shows the northern edge of the snow in East Anglia has completely died out, so there is nothing left to move south - looks like we've nicked it all guys, unless anything else comes up from the South i guess thats it for us today. All thats left to do is wait for the freeze now.

laminate floors

Posted
Weeeel we are the suntrap of the south you know and traditionally mild! my brother lives in brighton and you had loads more snow than us, infact as soon as you went about a mile away from Eastbourne there was more than double the amount, my better half works in lewes and she said it was amazing how cold and snowy it was there compared to here. sigh.

Crazy wasn't it! I've never seen that much snow on the beach before! We were having snowball fights on Brighton beach :rolleyes:

Not too greedy but it would be amazing to see that again! Hopefully if we do, it will come your way too :(

Posted

I have to admit that when I saw one of the computer rooms there and the size of computers in there I did wonder about the accuracy!!! But they are used for running models on and not for forecasting, that seems to be done by the senior forecaster on duty that day with the help from data from around the globe and locally.............I wonder if they secretly check Netweather :rolleyes:

Posted
Risk of disruption

Warning Heavy Snow

Valid Fri 6 Feb

UK regions:

East of England

South West England

London & South East England

East Midlands

Sleet or snow could give further accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in some parts of southern and eastern England as it clears southeastwards.

Issued at: 1327 Fri 6 Feb

just seen new warning.

Yet another warning <_<

its not going to snow in thanet, but im sure our council have got some grit for sale :rolleyes:

Thick and settling snow now, is this likely to stay with us for a while?

may do- that give me your postcode & I will have a look on radar-

A few little flakes appearing here in bex amoungst the slop- :rolleyes: ANy heavier burst would bring the snow line down-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
That might explain my unheated greenhouse thermometer reading 'Min –6° C' for last night or the night before, I didn't believe it.

Snowing merrily again here after an hour of sleet. Made my husband laugh when I said "ok dogs, we're setting of for our walk across the Suffolk tundra again" :D

Lol. Certainly a wintry scene out there though Iceni. Tonight is going to be a cold one!! <_< :cold:

Quite incredible really, it's still snowing light to moderate here ~ nothing showing up on the radar though :rolleyes:

Seasons ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I do wonder sometimes

The local forcaster on BBC oxford yesterday was talking about max of 7c for oxfordshire. A top temp of 1.5c was of the order

Her notes were way out of date and I said so when i was on air !!

Posted
Steve could you tell me if that is a polar low up on the east coast of scotland and if it has a chance of making it down the coast to us?

If it did would i be right is saying that it could give a fair amount of snow somwhere near the coast of kent and other places of course?

Posted
Crazy wasn't it! I've never seen that much snow on the beach before! We were having snowball fights on Brighton beach :rolleyes:

Not too greedy but it would be amazing to see that again! Hopefully if we do, it will come your way too <_<

Yup we went out for a walk in it sunday night and i hadnt seen anything like it for years, although we did see snow in late semptember but that was up mount killimanjiro!

Blinking flip its gone dark out there.

Posted
Don't know if it's of interest to you guys further south east, but the snow over us is intensifying rapidly, who knows why.. There I was thinking it was dying out, heavy snow atm.

Waaay to warm down on south east coast, funny how much difference in temp in such a short distance im quite amazed by it.

Don't know if it's of interest to you guys further south east, but the snow over us is intensifying rapidly, who knows why.. There I was thinking it was dying out, heavy snow atm.

Where is here???????

No - its not a polar low- just part of the vortex moving South-East- Its justspinning like a polar low-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
Not sure if anyone else posted this but we've had heavy snow for about an hour or so here - it's amazing - settled everywhere - I'll try for some pics

where are you though??

Posted
Weeeel we are the suntrap of the south you know and traditionally mild!

d020.gif

my better half works in Lewes and she said it was amazing how cold and snowy it was there compared to here. sigh.

I can see the temp display drop most winters morning that I travel the 30 odd miles North into work at Burgess Hill, sometimes by as much a 7 or 8 DgC!

Edited by Coast