Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

80% Confidence from the NW Warning! I hope its right now! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Temps maxed out at 2.8C but there's been very little thaw in all honesty even here in a built up area of Northampton.

As many of you here know because it's my default snow shot location, I live opposite a school and the adjacent field has inches of untouched snow on it. Same can be said for the end of my back garden.

Thats good then, there is still about 4 inches of snow on grass around my area but on the pavements and the road it had all melted and dried up before tonights snow started. Has stayed around on the grass though. I'm just concerned for me poor snowman tomorrow night, if it chucks it down with rain he could take a severe pounding and be gone by Tuesday morning :D I will be like the boy on the snowman film who runs downstairs in the morning and finds the snowman in a pile of snow :D :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
No thaw whatsoever andy.

a staffordshire poster on here even posted that he was in northampton today and was amazed.

'Twas me....Drove through northampton/sixfields & Hunsbury and there was still several inches of laying snow in places, at Ecton (say 4 miles from the town centre), there was at least 8 inches at 10am this morning...There was a slow thaw during the midday period (some melt water in the village road), but when I left to return home at 1:30, you wouldnt have thought that there had been a thaw as there was so much laying snow left

Posted

That weather warning by Nick by the way looks good. He knows more than me, he is an actual forecaster! My prediction of rain for the Midlands below 250m tomorrow night still holds ground though. I won't backtrack on that :wacko: I expect Nick to be right but the way I see it is still the same as earlier. Rain for the Midlands until Tuesday morning maybe 6am onwards at which time I expect it to be turning to snow, I just fear how much water will have fell out of the sky before it turns to snow though, the grass could be absolutely waterlogged and no snow will settle on a waterlogged surface :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!
It's pants here now, stopped snowing and just looks wet outside!!!! :wacko:

Slight covering here but nothing to shout about, thought this was gonna be a good`un and tomorrow night looks to be a let down as well..

Posted
'Twas me....Drove through northampton/sixfields & Hunsbury and there was still several inches of laying snow in places, at Ecton (say 4 miles from the town centre), there was at least 8 inches at 10am this morning...There was a slow thaw during the midday period (some melt water in the village road), but when I left to return home at 1:30, you wouldnt have thought that there had been a thaw as there was so much laying snow left

So, you see Andy. no thaw whatsoever.

Posted
So, you see Andy. no thaw whatsoever.

Northampton must have been in it's own sub-climate lol, a lot of snow fell there though so it's going to take more than 2-3c temperatures to melt that much. Despite all of what I have said today about rain tomorrow night I really do hope I am wrong. I'd love even more snow, the thing is if all that PPN forecast was snow it wouldn't just be 5-10cm it would be another 6 inches+ I feel it's going to be wasted though because it will be rain. What I would do now to be 300m ASL, I think 300m+ ASL in the Midlands would see snow throughout the whole period probably.

Posted
Slight covering here but nothing to shout about, thought this was gonna be a good`un and tomorrow night looks to be a let down as well..

Yeah, I got all excited earlier, and now its just a big fat letdown!!! still not sure that I will be driving to work tomorrow though, just in case!!!!!!! :)

Posted
so what will fall out the sky tomorrow night the local news still thinks it will be snow hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No idea. Jay Wynne is on the BBC News forecasts now and was still talking about snow for much of Wales and the Midlands, blizzard like conditions, etc.

I must admit if they don't backtrack soon and this all goes pear-shaped it will reflect quite badly on them, but they seem quite confident and now with this NW warning as well, who knows? :)

Posted
I have issued a weather alert for tomorrow and Tuesday:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...ts;reg=3;sess=;

"by Tuesday lunchtime of 5 to 15cm, perhaps up to 15 to 25cm over the hills of Wales, The West Country, Midlands and moors of SW England."

I like that part, noticing how bbc continue to show more and more in the way of rain as the front sweeps away south east tuesday morning. seems odd to me, as i would have thought it would be increasingly turning to snow on its back edge

Posted
"by Tuesday lunchtime of 5 to 15cm, perhaps up to 15 to 25cm over the hills of Wales, The West Country, Midlands and moors of SW England."

I like that part, noticing how bbc continue to show more and more in the way of rain as the front sweeps away south east tuesday morning. seems odd to me, as i would have thought it would be increasingly turning to snow on its back edge

Still showed snow for most of the night across many areas! An amazing forecast by Jay, but just left me feeling more confused rather than excited.

Posted
No idea. Jay Wynne is on the BBC News forecasts now and was still talking about snow for much of Wales and the Midlands, blizzard like conditions, etc.

I must admit if they don't backtrack soon and this all goes pear-shaped it will reflect quite badly on them, but they seem quite confident and now with this NW warning as well, who knows? :)

I'm very intrigued though because the 3 big models, UKMO, GFS and ECM today show it more likely to be rain, that is why I am so surprised that the BBC are still churning out that forecast. They seem very confident in this but maybe they are still saying it because if they backtracked now all of a sudden then people would start to wonder what on earth they was issuing all those blizzards earlier for :)

Goodness knows, I'm just going to chill out tonight and leave the models and not bother looking at them. I'll have a look in the morning and then we will know for sure what is in store because the low pressure system will be making landfall in the South West and we will know what position it takes whether it's more North or South.

Posted

how long till the "clearence" the snow here seems to be melting at an alarming rate! the trees are pouring like rain!

Posted
I'm very intrigued though because the 3 big models, UKMO, GFS and ECM today show it more likely to be rain, that is why I am so surprised that the BBC are still churning out that forecast. They seem very confident in this but maybe they are still saying it because if they backtracked now all of a sudden then people would start to wonder what on earth they was issuing all those blizzards earlier for :lol:

Goodness knows, I'm just going to chill out tonight and leave the models and not bother looking at them. I'll have a look in the morning and then we will know for sure what is in store because the low pressure system will be making landfall in the South West and we will know what position it takes whether it's more North or South.

maybe they think if they tell people in the morning that overnight the low pressure has moved further north than originally thought then people might think o right fair enough, whereas if they change from a forecast issued just hours before they will look stupid

Posted

This satellite picture could be the kiss of death for snow in the Midlands.

http://www.sat24.com/

The channel low is now approaching the West of Ireland but look how far North it is! If it continues like that then it will be hitting Northern England easily. That low is worryingly North at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well if the BBC are going to backtrack, they are leaving it very late. People will be quite annoyed if the forecast changes dramatically at the last minute.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

The channel low is now approaching the West of Ireland but look how far North it is! If it continues like that then it will be hitting Northern England easily. That low is worryingly North at the moment.

Wouldn't worry about that too much yet, all the cloud precieding it is diving more south as it enters british waters due to that interaction with the flow from northwest, does look like it'll barrel into wales though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Even if it does get further and further north, we then have a risk of gales and heavy rain which is exciting too :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

I think the 10:20ish forcast after the main bbc1 news will be worth a watch!

Edited by Potent Gust

Posted

im not sure if the air pressure on netweather radar is the actual pressue or predicted from the gfs, but if its the actual then looks about as expected

that sat24 satelite shows the cloud diving south into france once it gets inline with central england.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

If you look at fax the main low is situated around 45n 20w at18hrs.That feature further North nr Ireland is not it Andy.

I think you best chill a little Andy our Low will not be in the SW approaches for another 12hrs. yet.

Shall i get Nick S to send some Prozac to you? :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
I'm very intrigued though because the 3 big models, UKMO, GFS and ECM today show it more likely to be rain, that is why I am so surprised that the BBC are still churning out that forecast. They seem very confident in this but maybe they are still saying it because if they backtracked now all of a sudden then people would start to wonder what on earth they was issuing all those blizzards earlier for :lol:

Lmao :lol: !!!

I can guarantee you won't be able to resist a peek at the 18z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its begin to turn quite foggy here now!