Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
latest radar shows a hump of prcipitation heading north over the middle midlands

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

The blanket ban thing was said by one of the DJs whether he has his facts right is another matter, i just passed on what he said.

Yes snow now to sleety rain temp the same at 1c , guess in that blue bit but further west shows heavier stuff

Does look like snow only in the heavier PPN showers here

Posted
sleet and rain turning increasingly to wet snow here, gradually. Still quite light though:)

Highground and toonarmy, keep us (ME!) updated :)

Hi Isaac,

Were you referring to me? Unfortunately im currently in london so missing out on all the action lol :mellow: .

Im sure the Midlands area will do quite well out of this especially the West Midlands, Worcestershire and Warwickshire areas.

Regards, hgb

Keep us updated. Btw, is it true that birmingham schools are closed tomorrow?

Posted
Intensity picking up now with more in the way of snow.

No chance of it sticking unless we goet 3 hours of constant heavy snow size of bricks :mellow:

So are you in Stoke or Brum ??

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
Intensity picking up now with more in the way of snow.

No chance of it sticking unless we goet 3 hours of constant heavy snow size of bricks :mellow:

isnt this where the marginal temps difference will come into play -saw this loads of times before - sticks in higher parts, dosent at lowel levels.....im sure it will stick everywhere soon.....

it was raining here an hour ago!

Posted
I have been told its a simulation using data from the GFS. If thats wrong I apologise. Perhaps someone from the forcast team could clarify. I have had it for over a year btw.

Nothing to apologose for. what your referring to is the precipitation type feature on the radar. That certainaly uses the GFS data to predict whether its snowing or raining .

EDIT: 90% snow here and getting heavier!

Posted
I have been told its a simulation using data from the GFS. If thats wrong I apologise. Perhaps someone from the forcast team could clarify. I have had it for over a year btw.

I think they meant that the radar goes by what the GFS says in regards to whether the precipitation is sleet/snow/rain. For example if the GFS is showing that snow will be the case in that area. Then any precipitation going into that location will be shown as snow on the radar.

I'm not sure but thats the impression I got..

Posted

And so it begins. Proper snow now falling over Northants with flakes blowing about quite a bit in a strengthening NE'ly wind.

So far doesn't appear to be settling but not all that heavy as of yet. Radar provides much intrigue for later though.

Can I just say though; well done to the UKMO and BBC yet again for sticking to their guns and it appears calling this one right again even when the GFS said "NO" as usual. Fair enough the detail has changed a little bit but not all that much.

Posted
had very heavy snow here in Milton Keynes for over an hour...definately settling!!!

Whats your elevation? Currently it's raining here and im a little south to you...

Posted
Heavy snow here still and its settling which, frankly, is staggering due to all the rain we have had here today. Temp of 0.7C and dropping like a stone.

Im not sure why people keep saying its too wet for snow to settle etc

If it near or below 0c it will settle very quickly

Think we are often to use to marginal stuff when it can take hours to settle

Last week it settled everywhere in minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Snow getting heavier and it looks like it is trying to settle on the grass. Temperature now very close to freezing, so it should settle fairly easily, flakes are small too so when we get the big flakes it will settle with ease.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

The snow is having absolutely no problem whatsoever settling. Completely ignoring wet ground. Although I still have a decent covering from previous snowfalls :mellow:

Posted
Snow here too now and trying to settle on cars.

Just been out to the car and its covered in snow so my sleet stuff is wrong def snow here and wind seems to be picking up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
Lucky sod!! - I think my bit of brum will be the only snowless part of the west midlands :D

hi camperstron where abouts are you? now starting to stick to grass, temp 0.4c

Edited by phil b

Posted

Light/mod snow here i'd say 85% snow 15% rain so still not sticking too much atm, need some heavier stuff

Posted

Im in brum. Maybe i should make an announcement on the radio everytime as i keep moving up and down the midlands :D

Im rather confused High Ground, theres someone else from licky hills posting here with same username LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

snowing a bit better now, but not as good as yesterday, 0.9C now, was 1.8C yesterday and sticking with a wet ground, but not sticking yet today too light

Posted

Heavy snow in Oldbury. Cars covered and even the pavements and road. Can't believe it everywhere was saturated up to an hour ago.

Posted

I can confirm proper snow here now and the foundations of the snow huts are on course!

YAAY!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Shouldnt the winds be picking up about now

Very blustery north east wind here blowing snow at crazy angles. Temp 0.9c and dewpoint -0.5c

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
And so it begins. Proper snow now falling over Northants with flakes blowing about quite a bit in a strengthening NE'ly wind.

So far doesn't appear to be settling but not all that heavy as of yet. Radar provides much intrigue for later though.

Can I just say though; well done to the UKMO and BBC yet again for sticking to their guns and it appears calling this one right again even when the GFS said "NO" as usual. Fair enough the detail has changed a little bit but not all that much.

What??!!!

It hasn't happened yet! And the BBC were completely wrong on several occasions this winter - ask Andy about the beginning of December! They were also wrong on Monday, and again on Thursday (and I think at another time as well). IMO the GFS is spot on atm and it does actually give a reasonable chance of snow for many in the Midlands. GFS has modeled things better than Meto/BBC so far this winter, by quite a long way.