Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

0.6c, dew point is 0.9c and dropping. And its now snowing, its light, but its snow! wooo yeah! Time to ramp?? lol

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
0.6c, dew point is 0.9c and dropping. And its now snowing, its light, but its snow! wooo yeah! Time to ramp?? lol

Your dewpoint cannot be more than the temp, are you sure it's not -0.9?

Posted
I know what you mean but it's not a good idea to use the snow risk and precip type charts in these situations as it's the evap cooling and intensity that's causing the snowfall, hence why the NW charts show sleet and rain. In actual fact if you take into account the evap cooling I'd say the GFS is almost spot on atm.

Thing is, UKMO has the human input aspect of their forecasts which means they take that sort of thing into account, the GFS does not so it's as good as useless in these situations. A 0% chance of snow and yet it's snowing hard here and in many parts of the Midlands. :huh:

Posted

new member, thought I would stop lurking!

nothing yet in north stoke on trent, but we did have rain, now nothing - interestingly the snow on the tarp over m trailor (so not on the ground) hasnt melted even though rained upon....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
Very nice radar update, precipitation pepping up over most of the midlands :huh:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Iv noticed that , there is hope ! hopefully it will continue to pep up, and continue to do so for most of the night , iv been sweating All afternoon about this!!!!

Posted
Your dewpoint cannot be more than the temp, are you sure it's not -0.9?

Hee hee, Im getting it off a website....

Posted
new member, thought I would stop lurking!

nothing yet in north stoke on trent, but we did have rain, now nothing - interestingly the snow on the tarp over m trailor (so not on the ground) hasnt melted even though rained upon....

whereabouts north stoke?.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nothing sticking here but about 5 miles further North such as Oldbury...Its sticking!!!

Posted
Thing is, UKMO has the human input aspect of their forecasts which means they take that sort of thing into account, the GFS does not so it's as good as useless in these situations. A 0% chance of snow and yet it's snowing hard here and in many parts of the Midlands. :doh:

Yes but those charts saying 0% are not produced by the GFS! What we can see are temps and dewpoints - the Meto undoubtedly use this data, from the GFS, factor in the evap cooling and forecast snow. The UKMO model doesn't factor in evap cooling and if NW made snow risk charts from the UKMO it would show the same thing.

What we can use the raw model output for is the track, and so far the GFS is pretty much spot on, although it's a tad further N.

So really what the Meto say is human input from all the models, and those snow risk charts are not produced by the GFS themselves, they are crude interpretations by NW.

Posted

Oh wow! Some very heavy precip around the Bucks area at the moment towards Milton Keynes. Some 56mm+ cells in the mix and all going on just to my south :doh: B)

post-5649-1234211415_thumb.jpg

What a beauty! Please come this way :D

Posted
Oh wow! Some very heavy precip around the Bucks area at the moment towards Milton Keynes. Some 56mm+ cells in the mix and all going on just to my south :doh: B)

post-5649-1234211415_thumb.jpg

What a beauty! Please come this way :D

Hmmm and i can confirm to you, that that precip is'nt what it seems, had that right over me, and tbh there is nothing, im sure this radar has blips!!! (or something)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Oh wow! Some very heavy precip around the Bucks area at the moment towards Milton Keynes. Some 56mm+ cells in the mix and all going on just to my south

What a beauty! Please come this way

I'm willing it, I'm willing it

Posted

Shovelling it down with snow. Piling up. -0.7C. Nice.

Glad to hear most people are getting it now too. Enjoy!

Posted
Hmmm and i can confirm to you, that that precip is'nt what it seems, had that right over me, and tbh there is nothing, im sure this radar has blips!!! (or something)!

I think that is a good point, with the strengthning winds and snowfall we will probably see some quite odd radar echo's

Posted
Nothing sticking here but about 5 miles further North such as Oldbury...Its sticking!!!

I think that's down to the slightly higher elevation. On the flip side, this event has really only just begun and yesterday it started to settle in your area an hour or so later than us.

Posted

Still snowing heavily and a temp of 0.5C. Cars covered well along with pavements-just need the streets to go white now. Also its good to see the PPn is increasing South Of Birmzzzzz (did you like my gangstar like way of saying Birmingham :D:D )

Posted
It's already snowing quite hard and settling now in places where it had thawed earlier. My car is covered again!

That heavy area of ppn to our south extends from Oxford almost to Cambridge, squall line developing ??