Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted
Some very pokey cells developing again down towards Hants/Sussex way!

I'm keeping an eye on things Harry :D

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Ahhhhh a thunderstorm with quite a few sferics passing just to my north :D (Which seems to be the norm as of late!)

Can see it out of my window, looks very threatening.

post-8635-1244735850_thumb.png

Posted
Ahhhhh a thunderstorm with quite a few sferics passing just to my north :D (Which seems to be the norm as of late!)

North of where you are, and south of where I am!

I share your :D

-PBS-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Ahhhhh a thunderstorm with quite a few sferics passing just to my north (Which seems to be the norm as of late!)

Can see the anvil of this baby!

Though, as ever, not coming this way :D

Posted

I can see a massive cell to my NNE - looks to be around north west London. It appears to have towered above every other cloud in the sky by at least double and it's got a massive and wide flat top.

Ashame it doesn't steer 90 degrees in my direction.

Interestingly, the temperature has risen 3C in the last hour although I doubt this will set anything off around here.

Edited by morfius

Posted

Well I did say there were developments taking place between London and MK :D

As others have said Massive Fibrous Anvil visible from the Buck Cell and the other one going up in Herts, Might just be able to Intercept these if they hold together as they head East :D through Essex (Yeah Right) :D

Posted

Been an interesting afternoon of convective watching with some towers going up early afternoon, before a thunderstorm kicked off around 3pm. Had a couple of hefty strikes within a couple of miles and some heavy rain (4mm in 5 minutes). A second, weak, shower passed through a short while ago. Looks like thats it for the day now.

Posted
Well I did say there were developments taking place between London and MK :D

As others have said Massive Fibrous Anvil visible from the Buck Cell and the other one going up in Herts, Might just be able to Intercept these if they hold together as they head East :D through Essex (Yeah Right) :D

:(:D:( So there was one near MK DAMN! I was there earlier!

Paul, where is this one in Herts? Cause it just nice and sunny here.

Posted

Who's this fellow to my northeast? More approaching from the west and northwest, but I doubt they will come to anything. Today it seems showers have passed to my north and south, and for my location we have been predominately sunny. :D

Edit gusty winds back again! :D

post-8218-1244736499_thumb.jpg

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Wow, Just saw some sheet lightning reach out near the edge of the storm :D

Is this true that lightning can strike with a clear blue sky?

Posted

Saint

Herts one has gone to Rat S **T :D In fact these Showers seem to be getting to the Essex Border and dying a Death, so will be interesting what the Big Shower currently over Luton does as it heads that way in the next 2 Hours.

2 more Developing Storms have Popped up South East of Peterborough with Rapid Intensification.

Paul S

Posted

Is there a west to east convergence zone to the north of London at the moment? There appears to be a line of storms moving west to east slightly north of London and growing in the process.

Posted
Saint

Herts one has gone to Rat S **T :D In fact these Showers seem to be getting to the Essex Border and dying a Death, so will be interesting what the Big Shower currently over Luton does as it heads that way in the next 2 Hours.

2 more Developing Storms have Popped up South East of Peterborough with Rapid Intensification.

Paul S

The storms near south coast died a quick death too.

Posted
Saint

Paul S

Yes Paul, on local BBC radio they have recieved calls/texts in about flash flooding in Luton, a thunderstorm near Toddington(between MK and Luton)

Oh and in Stevenage there is apprently a storm!

Posted
Is there a west to east convergence zone to the north of London at the moment? There appears to be a line of storms moving west to east slightly north of London and growing in the process.

Wind has really picked up in the last hour, if that has anything to do with it.

Posted
Who's this fellow to my northeast? More approaching from the west and northwest, but I doubt they will come to anything. Today it seems showers have passed to my north and south, and for my location we have been predominately sunny. :D

Edit gusty winds back again! :D

There is nothing to your south west,nothing remotely threatening all day here,bit breezier that all :( ,not forgetting everybody else,s half chance is no chance here :D

Posted

Few excitable looking Cu around here at the moment - still very sunny too and quite warm!

The cell towards N London looks LOOOOOOOVELY!!!

Posted

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I know someone replied earlier saying the Showers might have been responsible for this but surely this is not right ??

Click the above link and hover your mouse over Southend - Has Temp of 66f and Dewpoint of 57f - Not bad even for the USA

Now the London City which is 38 Miles west of there has a Temp of 64f and Dewpoint of 36f

Surely there is something seriously wierd going on with that :D

Need an explanation ??

Posted

Some grey cloud has moved across, but nothing happening.......

Apparently now a storm in Hemel Hempstead with flash flooding, so this could be what this cloud is linked with.....

Posted

Very dark to the west of Sawbridgeworth in Hertfordshire. I suspect over Hertford or Harpenden it is interesting.

Few excitable looking Cu around here at the moment - still very sunny too and quite warm!

The cell towards N London looks LOOOOOOOVELY!!!

Posted

I know someone replied earlier saying the Showers might have been responsible for this but surely this is not right ??

Click the above link and hover your mouse over Southend - Has Temp of 66f and Dewpoint of 57f - Not bad even for the USA

Now the London City which is 38 Miles west of there has a Temp of 64f and Dewpoint of 36f

Need an explanation ??

I think the weather data on that site is from amateur weather stations?

edit: having said that, it is a similar scenario for the majority of stations in London, so it's probably correct.

Edited by morfius

Posted

Need an explanation ??

19C / 11C here Paul :D

Posted

Need an explanation ??

I think you will find Paul that it may be due to outflow boundary's from earlier showers/storms. Thats the only thing i can come up with.

Edited by UkStormChaser

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

There's been and still ongoing fantastic Cumulus Nimbus just about 10-15 miles inland would go and chase em but due to an extremely painful abscess in me gob i'll not be going anywhere..!! Looks like a line of 'heavy' showers/storms may hit here this time and i hope it has some electrical activity but like the early afternoon cell that just clipped Tyne & Wear will look promising but wont deliver.

Heres how the earlier cell looked like on radar.

and 20 mins later all but died..!!

Heres a couple of images i took as it approached.

All we got out of this was around 3 mm of rain..!!