Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

(I think he jesting MB :winky: )

So 40 years ago we got this type event, but not since? So a once in 40 year event then?!! :lol:

Realistically it will be more snow than many members here have seen in this part of the world in their lifetime (not mine unfortunately - too old!!) See you in Princes Park for a snowball fight tomorrow? :unsure:

I knew one of you would point that out. So my reply is that we are on the turn now. 30 years or so of mild winters is coming to end according to some experts. Check my link below out and make your own minds up. :hi:

Posted

That was actually said in jest, i suppose it's lucky i'm not! otherwise banning orders would be placed on a number of members! :unsure:

In terms of the current cold spell given that apart from a few less cold days in the south around Xmas it's likely to go down as the longest cold to very cold period since the 70's, in Scotland it's been close to zero now for nearly three weeks and i suspect we will be talking altogether 5 weeks at the earliest before theres a chance of a change. We saw quite a few severe spells in the 80's but in terms of longevity i expect this to beat those.

In terms of how common the current pattern is with Greenie high to northerly to a reloading pattern these are very rare indeed.

Yep

I know Cet temps are done on a monthly basis, but I wonder what the CET For 17th Dec to 17th January will come out at? And the Snow lying at 9am in that same period could come close to being nearly in the Top 10 as well.

Essex has only had 2 Days where the temps have risen above 5.8c since 16th December, and those unluckily were Dec 25th and Dec 26th LOL

Posted

If we miss out today, there's always weds/thurs/fri and quite possibly a big event Saturday/Sunday.

Fear not people, this cold is going nowhere. We will get pasted before it leaves our shores which looks like a good 2 weeks away at the moment!!

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Whereabouts did you hear that Tommy? Sky?

No it was the BBC! Not sure who it was but the Tobin girl also said a foot and a half in some areas.

Posted

Really started to cloud over now with the odd very sparse snowflake.

why isnt it snowing? i never get snow ere this winters pathetic its so marginal temperatures rising arghhh :lol: :winky: :unsure:

(Couldn't help myself)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Read my reply above

Agreed , though on the point of detailed forecast... A local detailed forecast and NOT kaddy would do me :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Looking out of the window at work in Milton Keynes, it's lovely out there, blue sky, a few clouds, no frost left... are you all quite sure there's snow on the way???????????????

doh.gif

I've still got frost on my grass and path, has only cleared off the car in the last hour !

You must be in a hot spot, CMK I guess ?

It is lovely but bitterly cold cold.gif

Posted

I would like to see a detailed forecast for the south east, it might shut a few people up as the one on bbc south east from michael fish was for snow for the next 5 days at least!!!!

Well i totally agree with him! after several bands of snow clear tomorrow we'll see a swing round in the flow to the east to ne pulling even colder upper air in and snow showers . We still have a little uncertainty regarding the strength of the flow part of the reason here is a major winter storm over southern Europe which is expected to track ne'wards this will strengthen the flow as it squeezes up against the developing Scandi high, theres also a chance for some more persistent snow as the Euro low throughs several shortwaves nw towards the se.

It's still a developing situation but the models generally agree on the pattern into next week so i'm pretty happy with those thoughts for the timebeing.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Going by winters past i will be surprised if north & east kent dont at least get a cm or two from tonight - its clouding over and looks like it wants to do something !

Wouldnt be surprised to see some random snow flurrys cropping up this eve/tonight. Tomorrow looks more hopeful of snow for kent - and for most of the day, as someone said earlier this is just the start - the end of the week looks a whole lot snowier/colder and windyer too!

Posted

Looking forward to kaddys forcast tonight ;)

Nooo she said it would be raining today ! , it snowed on the coast :rofl:

Posted

I've still got frost on my grass and path, has only cleared off the car in the last hour !

You must be in a hot spot, CMK I guess ?

It is lovely but bitterly cold cold.gif

No, not CMK, at the OU Walton Hall....... it doesn't look at all wintery!

Posted

UK Outlook for Sunday 10 Jan 2010 to Tuesday 19 Jan 2010:

For Sunday (10th) and Monday (11th) snow showers are expected to continue to affect eastern parts of the UK, more especially from East Anglia southwards where there will be some strong winds, making it feel bitterly cold. Elsewhere it is likely to be largely dry, with some sunshine, but it will still feel very cold. Areas of freezing fog may also affect some northern parts. The very cold conditions look like persisting through much of next week with eastern and especially southeastern areas seeing a continuing risk of sleet or snow showers whilst western and northern areas see a good deal of dry, bright weather. There are indications that a change to somewhat less cold conditions may occur during the weekend of 16/17 Jan and into the following week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

we also have frost on paths and grass here in leighton buzzard, south beds!!! waiting to see if tonight brings anything!!!!

Posted

A local detailed forecast and NOT kaddy would do me :rofl:

She'll do for me ;)

Posted

it will look it in a little while ,huge clouds spotted coming from the west

Current data for Linslade

05 January 2010 14:29:23

Temperature (°C):

Current 0.8

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Average today -2.2

Wind chill 0.8

Humidex -1.8

Dew Point -2.1

Rel Humidity 81%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 2.2 E

Average Speed 0.0 ENE

Pressure (mb):

Current 1001.2

Trend (per hour) -0.7

Posted

Not too far away from how it all started :whistling::whistling::whistling:

http://www.mtullett.plus.com/1962-63/27Dec-1962.htm - 26th Dec 1962

http://www.mtullett.plus.com/1962-63/28Dec-1962.htm - 27th Dec 1962

http://www.mtullett.plus.com/1962-63/29Dec-1962.htm - 28th Dec 1962

Now I am not saying this is a repeat, but it is interesting that when we get these Set-Ups they can be quite similar.

Posted

You must have a south facing window then, stick you head out of it and you will soon feel 'wintery' (lol), I've just been out to feed my chickens and believe me it's cold !

Posted

Now I am not saying this is a repeat,

:whistling: That's done it Paul!!!!!

Posted

it will look it in a little while ,huge clouds spotted coming from the west

Current data for Linslade

05 January 2010 14:29:23

Temperature (°C):

Current 0.8

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Average today -2.2

Wind chill 0.8

Humidex -1.8

Dew Point -2.1

Rel Humidity 81%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 2.2 E

Average Speed 0.0 ENE

Pressure (mb):

Current 1001.2

Trend (per hour) -0.7

Just noticed the clouds too, could this be the start of something ? I will try not to get too excited just yet !

Posted

O.k,this feels v.exciting,fingers crossed! amazed that met office are precicting 40cm of snow in some areas in the south.wow.....

Here in Soho broken cloud,definately sky starting to look darker toward the west/nw.....council have been gritting the pavements which for the West end is rare.......

Fingers crossed,yes i know its a few hours away,but this don't happen often!