Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

I can understand people moaning a little bit. Wonderful synoptics but some of us are really mainly interested in whether we get snow.

Norwich has had a little snow recently so I won't throw toys out my pram, however it is frustrating to see us missing out. We were slap bang in the middle of 2 great dumpings just before Christmas and we have missed out agin this morning when a couple of days ago we looked to be in a prime location. I believe we were due to have some snow overnight tonight and tomorrow and now I hear reports that this is less likely.

Still at least we have the building blocks in place and the biggest snowfalls I have witnessed in recent years haven't been forecast.

I am pleased for those areas that get snow, I'd just like to be invited to the party!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Can you just ban people who keep moaning! we have synoptics that everyone thought not possible again and all i read is moaning and toys thrown out of prams! The snow is being shared around, the se has got days of snow chances to come and as i keep saying but which seems to be completely ignored is that the main snow risk as we go forward will be for the east and se so let others from areas that haven't seen a flake yet just enjoy their snow, or as the case might be not enjoy it as we're talking serious amounts, i'm sure the thought of power cuts isn't exactly enticing given the current temps.

So i'm going to lose it big time soon if i have to listen to anymore moaning, as Coast says this is a once in a 20/25 year event, you may never see this again for decades!

Are you serious, banning people? That's a little harsh isn't it?

That aside what makes you think this is a once in a 20/25 year event. Up to 40 or so years ago this kind of set up was common in winter time.

Posted

Beeb forecast shows very nicely what could happen, the frist front gets swung up from the south and eventually reahces its northern limit, then gets pulled back southwards along with the second more northerly front...thats why I was saying 5-7cms for Kent+Essex but if anything the models have slightly upgraded that risk...

Real good hints now of the circulation forming over the West Midlands, the Mid level circulation over Wales still heading southwards but probably weaken, if it doesn't then it'll add another level of complexity to the forecast, as if its needed!

Posted

That was very funny your last sentence! :yahoo: To be honest i would give a detailed forecast for the SE but have given up now as that will soon be forgotten and end up being overrun by the next batch of toys out of prams posts.

Nick seeing as we are the right side for the cold and snow what is it like in your location?

Are you getting affected by the Southerly Jet Stream and does this weather have an effect of the Higher parts near where you live, looks like you could get some active weather at the weekend as the Cold plunges into France and Northern Spain!

Paul S

Posted

Only Coastal Areas of Norfolk though - Think Norwich is handily placed for the merging of the snow bands :yahoo:

lol, believe that when i see it, very much de ja vu.

Guest FireStorm

That was very funny your last sentence! :yahoo: To be honest i would give a detailed forecast for the SE but have given up now as that will soon be forgotten and end up being overrun by the next batch of toys out of prams posts.

I think the SE forecast is safest to say average temps between -25c and +25c, snowdepths ranging from 50storey buildings to a grain of sand bought in by a spanish plume.. no wait that may be taken seriously :yahoo:

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.u...node&state=vi:V

Latest from Bbc I-Player

Click Forecast Video and Play Button

I think most will be pleased with that Forecast including London and Herts/Surrey but looks like my nagging fear of Coastal Essex, Coastal Suffolk, Eastern Kent and Norfolk looks likely to happen with little or no snow and now have to rely on Showers at the end of the week, the Front further North looks like it merges with the Snow in the West of our region and then fizzles out during Wednesday Night and early doors thursday.

Paul S

It is still a complex situation as to what happens into EA later tonight/tomorrow, expect upgrades later :yahoo:

Having said that, Suffolk is not my first choice location right now, just need an excuse for a trip down south :yahoo:

TUE - J

Posted

I would like to see a detailed forecast for the south east, it might shut a few people up as the one on bbc south east from michael fish was for snow for the next 5 days at least!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Have the forecasters mentioned anything for late wed - weekend yet? ) kent (

Posted

(I think he's jesting MB :yahoo: )

That aside what makes you think this is a once in a 20/25 year event. Up to 40 or so years ago this kind of set up was common in winter time.

So 40 years ago we got this type event, but not since? So a once in 40 year event then?!! :cold:

Realistically it will be more snow than many members here have seen in this part of the world in their lifetime (not mine unfortunately - too old!!) See you in Princes Park for a snowball fight tomorrow? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

NW London will most probably get 10 - 12 inches. In our neck of the woods I would go for 5 inches min

Cheers for the reply yamkin.that amount will do me for starters lol

Posted

Beeb forecast shows very nicely what could happen, the frist front gets swung up from the south and eventually reahces its northern limit, then gets pulled back southwards along with the second more northerly front...thats why I was saying 5-7cms for Kent+Essex but if anything the models have slightly upgraded that risk...

Real good hints now of the circulation forming over the West Midlands, the Mid level circulation over Wales still heading southwards but probably weaken, if it doesn't then it'll add another level of complexity to the forecast, as if its needed!

Yep I agree mate.

Tomorrow will be our turn. Obviously not as severe as what is going to happen later in the West. But I can honestly see a good 3-5" of snow laying by Thursday in our region. Which would be a decent return. Of course it could all go Pete Tong. But I'm feeling confident, as you are obviously.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Guest FireStorm

(I think he jesting MB :winky: )

So 40 years ago we got this type event, but not since? So a once in 40 year event then?!! :lol:

Realistically it will be more snow than many members here have seen in this part of the world in their lifetime (not mine unfortunately - too old!!) See you in Princes Park for a snowball fight tomorrow? :drinks:

According to the met office its more recent,

The current cold weather started in mid December and it has been the most prolonged spell of freezing conditions across the UK since December 1981.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/pr20100105.html

Posted

That was actually said in jest, i suppose it's lucky i'm not! otherwise banning orders would be placed on a number of members! :drinks:

In terms of the current cold spell given that apart from a few less cold days in the south around Xmas it's likely to go down as the longest cold to very cold period since the 70's, in Scotland it's been close to zero now for nearly three weeks and i suspect we will be talking altogether 5 weeks at the earliest before theres a chance of a change. We saw quite a few severe spells in the 80's but in terms of longevity i expect this to beat those.

In terms of how common the current pattern is with Greenie high to northerly to a reloading pattern these are very rare indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Okay, perhaps I'm being a tad optomistic but with some of these forecasts anything is possible............so

HALLING WEATHER IS READY!!

757980109_nvtry-M.jpg

Only inches ? Don't you think you should make an emergency one in feet just in case !shok.gif

Posted

Does look very interesting, this is turning into an even more complicated set-up then models were expecting I think...obvious hints of cyclonic circulation developing over the West Midlands as well looking at the radar, surface pressure also confirm this idea.

Posted

Its obviously coming ...................

however, maybe we should give it a few more hours until we start to give out depth forecasts. lets wait for the shortwave to form and home in on its likely overnight place of residence. the 12z NAE will give a good indication if its expected to deepen much. the 06z NAE gave an indication of approx 2 to 3 inches in the london area and home counties (less further east and more further west. its only a few more hours to wait to see if we can get agreement betweent the raw UKMO and the NAE. (and even the GFS!!)

Posted

Looking out of the window at work in Milton Keynes, it's lovely out there, blue sky, a few clouds, no frost left... are you all quite sure there's snow on the way???????????????

:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Well just saw latest Beeb forecast and it was quite good for western areas of this region at least. They were progging for 25cm near Reading, so I'm not too far from there, don't be surprised if you wake up to 15cm of snow tomorrow.

I would really like to see a good snowfall, I've had none none since Feb (although a small dusting in December when everyone else in the region got a good covering) Thursday is also looking good and then there is Friday and Saturday, to be honest I don't see what all the complaining is about! we have had a much better winter already compared to previous years and the next few days everyone will get a good covering i'm 100% sure.

If temps stay cold enough, by Saturday depending on how much I get tonight I could have more than a foot of snow! It isn't going to melt any time soon

Posted

Woooooah, I thought it was just the 'Southern softies' who couldn't cope when a little bit of snow comes our way???

You mean...Northerners lie to us??! :winky:

Great post. The truth is Manchester has had barely any snow for years until this winter, yet dare any Londoner mention nay given quantity of snow you can here the "that's nothing!" jibes from 300 miles away!

:drinks:

Well just saw latest Beeb forecast and it was quite good for western areas of this region at least. They were progging for 25cm near Reading, so I'm not too far from there, don't be surprised if you wake up to 15cm of snow tomorrow.

I would really like to see a good snowfall, I've had none none since Feb (although a small dusting in December when everyone else in the region got a good covering) Thursday is also looking good and then there is Friday and Saturday, to be honest I don't see what all the complaining is about! we have had a much better winter already compared to previous years and the next few days everyone will get a good covering i'm 100% sure.

If temps stay cold enough, by Saturday depending on how much I get tonight I could have more than a foot of snow! It isn't going to melt any time soon

That sounds promising for Ealing, London W5. Might sneak 8-10 cm if that forecast rings true. Reading is only 35 miles from me.

Edited by Downpour