Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

This is extraordinary even for Shrewsbury. Looking at the radar the snow this morning fragmented as soon as it hit the northern border of Shropshire, confirmed by my observations on this morning's little excursion :lol: We got 30 minutes of moderate snow (0.5cm, now mostly gone) from the tip of the bit that remained over Wales and then the band reorganised itself at the southeastern edge of this cursed county. Hence all the snow n N Worcs. Under 200m asl in Shropshire you might as well forget it- there's nothing. What's really, really amazing and unprecedented in my experience is that Telford has been missing it all as well; the snowline on the Wrekin is about 100m above that town and has been for a week or so.

Indeed the Wrekin has been covered in snow for a week now but here in Telford the most we've had is fleeting dustings.

Telford in past winters (2007 February event especially) has usually done well for snow events but three quarters of a centimeter is probably the most we have had thus far.

My predictadar is guessing the main load of snow will slide into Wales with the scrags hitting us whilst things explode further east.

Posted

any more heavy snow for stoke tonight

You look like you might be on the Northern edge later in the night , the stuff in the South is now showing as moving North and not pushing back South until tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

another non event - hummm another wait until next time cray.giffool.gifgood.gifgood.gif

2-3cms may be but nothing much looking at the latest data for later on wallbash.gif

Where did it say the 'event' would be over by 2.33pm , you may still not have to go to school tomorrow rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

i hope so mate but bbc dont think that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not certain exactly where you are Nick but in Walsall town centre it is throwing it down and having just spoken to my wife there is very heavy snow in Bloxwich on the main road out to Cannock.

Norton Canes, just down the road from Pelsall. About 4/5 miles from Bloxwich. Radar suggests some moderately heavy stuff heading my way, so thanks for that report!

Not snowing at all here though!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

The metoffice are going to have to make a few alterations to there warnings, I will place money we have a new warning out by 6pm .

Posted

Hi Folks

It has just started lightly snowing in the Sherwood area of Nottingham..... is this the start of something or a false dawn....

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like much of the PPN (i.e around Gloucs) around SW England will make it here now. :wallbash:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sing along along all you North West midlanders...

"Snow to the left of you, snow to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you".. do -do -do- do-do-dooh- dooooh...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Nick it's snowing here in Heath Hayes! Very fine but heavy can hardly see it in the lamposts! Anyway surely been in the middle

of this low and all the snow rapped round it. We got to see heavier stuff some time in next 12 hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

sing along along all you North West midlanders...

"Snow to the left of you, snow to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you".. do -do -do- do-do-dooh- dooooh...lol

We are slap bang in the middle of the low by the looks of it. Slap the wind vectors on the radar and it is just going all around us, with no wind over us!

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Well, there wasn't a lot at work but I left early anyway... we now have moderate snow at Hinckley with about 2cm on the ground at the moment. The roads are very dangerous out so be careful! Nearly spun on the way home, struggled to get up a hill and nearly had somebody crash in to me; RWD in snow wasn't really such a good idea.

Posted

Hi Folks

It has just started lightly snowing in the Sherwood area of Nottingham..... is this the start of something or a false dawn....

Cheers

FC

It's still going here - and the radar's showing snow converging on Nottingham! We'll be fine!

All the snow here has stuck on roads and pavements where people melted it off earlier - surprised it's settling, the flakes look so fine, but there are many of them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Here in the central midlands the snow seems to be getting it`s act together again.

I have got 5cm now and it`s been snowing moderatly since about 3.30pm after 2cm earlier today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The metoffice are going to have to make a few alterations to there warnings, I will place money we have a new warning out by 6pm .

Agreed :rofl:

Still coming down nicely here, good 3cm on the road and pavements now, id say probably a bit more on the grass and garage roof because the stuff from this morning didn't melt from those areas.

This could last all evening and overnight, this could be the most long lasting snow event i've ever seen in my life!!! That precip isn't moving anywhere fast at all, just sticking around in the same place. This PPN is forecast to get heavier as the night wears on isn't it? Well if it does then I think I might just crack open those Strongbows I have left :whistling:

For ONCE Leicester gets lucky, ABOUT bleedin time an all.

I'm off to pay the rates, ill take a few pics and post them in here when I get back.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Looks like much of the PPN (i.e around Gloucs) around SW England will make it here now. :whistling:

I wouldn't bank on it. The low seems to be rotating anti-clockwise which implies a NE movement looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

We are slap bang in the middle of the low by the looks of it. Slap the wind vectors on the radar and it is just going all around us, with no wind over us!

how far north will snow get tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

A very interesting report on BBC news channel at the moment, news readers are grilling a guy from the met office - they asked him when the cold and snow is going to end, he replied 'oh.. weve got another couple of weeks of this yet, 2 weeks but we cant look any further so i dont know'! lol

BBC forecast at half 4 looked OK, more snow for Birmingham on thursday though?? precipitation is pepping up nicely here too :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, or if unavailable, heavy snow

Just started again in Ashbourne - looks like the 2 bands are closing in from the N and the S and most of the N Midlands it getting a taste.