Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion

reef

Posted

Great to see an improvement on the JMA/NOGAPS. In recent days the output from these has been relatively poor. At the moment the UKMO +144 is looking rather lonely. Having said this I would be much happier if the 0Z outputs trends towards the E,ly tomorrow morning.

P.S Keep an eye on the trough currently in the N Sea. This will swing SW into NE England/Humber/Lincs/E Anglia later tonight. Some could wake up to a decent covering.

believe you me, i've been following that trough v closely. it may even impact on london

Posted

the trend to less cold uppers on the 00z NAEFS is repeated on the 12z run. this has my attention, strangely in a positive fashion. the lower the uppers, the farther away we will be to the trough (and any frontal precip). the mean flow is looking more consistently se than east on this output. i think there is a big chance that should this pattern evolve as expected, it will be a lot less settled than it looked to be a few days ago. i dont want to make a silly prediction, but there could be a snowfest for the southern half of the uk on the horizon. the northeast can have the cnvective stuff off the north sea.

this is a 'glass half full' post to balance out my 'glass half empty post' earlier !!

Posted

Not convinced with the UKMO evolution for the middle of next week, its being far too progressive. The block to the NE will prevent the trough getting much past the North Sea, I'm firmly expecting the UKMO to change tomorrow to show be a south easterly by Wednesday as we see signs of undercutting - very similiar to the synoptics we saw on the 13th and 14th, however, unlike then, the block will retrogress westwards as we see all energy in the jet transferring into the southern arm, it may be a tentative stutturing start mid-late next week with a bit of an atlantic/continent battle but the eventual winner will be the continent, in fact this is a much more interesting set up as it raises prospects of frontal snow as we see shortwaves develop only for them to be eventually squeezed out by the block to the north east. Its been a feature of much of this winter so far, hardly any fronts have managed to get into Scandanavia, they have simply had the energy squeezed out of them resulting in what has been a very dry winter so far, thank goodness after the torrential rain we saw in Nov, this winter has just been what we needed, we were staring at the prospects of further flood misery in Dec, this cold weather has certainly done us a favour.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I may be wrong but it looks like tonights fax charts have followed the ukmo raw modelpardon.gif

not entirely as the shortwave off the nw of ireland is without a circulation. however, its far closer to ukmo raw than it is the ecm so we have to wait patiently for the 00z to see if they back up the general trend.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I may be wrong but it looks like tonights fax charts have followed the ukmo raw modelpardon.gif

It does indeed at t+120, though synoptically to the east of the UK there's not much in it between the fax and the UKMO + ECM op runs, with all 3 having a low centred over/near Denmark. However, over and to the west of the UK - fax and 12z UKMO op are progressive in bringing in Atlantic low pressure to the NW with UK under a SW'erly flow rather than the light and variable flow by ECM. So definitely more leaning towards UKMO for our patch of the woods.

Posted

not entirely as the shortwave off the nw of ireland is without a circulation. however, its far closer to ukmo raw than it is the ecm so we have to wait patiently for the 00z to see if they back up the general trend.

Yep I see what you mean. Surely the ukmo cant have this right as its going against every other model tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Yep I see what you mean. Surely the ukmo cant have this right as its going against every other model tonight.

Written by Darren Brett...so don't worry they will change. :)

ECM is on the money, I have big confidence in that.

BFTP

Posted

More jet energy going south on the 18z which bodes well for low pressure undercutting the block.

Sticks nicely to BFTP's script.:)

Posted

I'm very surprised the UKMO have gone with their own model with tonights fax charts especially as theres no support in the ECM ensembles, their 144hrs output would bring milder air into the Netherlands which has absolutely no support in the ECM De Bilt ensembles suite so its bizarre that they've gone with their model earlier on.

The GFS 18hrs run is almost a carbon copy of the ECM, this indicates to me that the ECM signal for its output in the crucial time frame upto 144hrs is strong and the UKMO is on the wrong track here.

Posted

More jet energy going south on the 18z which bodes well for low pressure undercutting the block.

Sticks nicely to BFTP's script.:D

You're better off using 300hPa wind charts for seeing where the jet streaks are in winter. 200hPa better for summer as the jet tends to be higher in altitude. Though it does roughly show the jet slamming into SW Europe.

yes, 18z trending very similar to ECM up to end of next week, often 18z seems to copy the evening ECM op offering anyway! Some very cold air at the surface next Friday, even in the south as we drag in a rather cold continental flow. Wouldn't take much of a shift for a major snow event for southern UK at least as Atlantic fronts try and push in from the SW up against the increasingly cold cP air.

Posted

GFS 18z very good, brings the Easterly in around the 5th. At T+192, -12C Uppers next to the East coast

post-10203-12648038726088_thumb.png

Edit: At T+216, -12C Uppers widely :D Amazing now, there seems to be some sort of reload at T+252, although it is in FI

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Written by Darren Brett...so don't worry they will change. whistling.gif

ECM is on the money, I have big confidence in that.

BFTP

Yeah ,but at least it will be mild rofl.gif . 18z is looking like a cracker of a run for cold . Similar to the ecm good.gif

Posted

This could be the coldest run so far from the operational GFS with incredible cold spreading

west into Scandinavia from Siberia.

One massive deep cold pool it is. This run has been stunning. UKMO is on its own at the moment

-20C Uppers in Scotland on GFS in deep FI!

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

You're better off using 300hPa wind charts for seeing where the jet streaks are in winter. 200hPa better for summer as the jet tends to be higher in altitude. Though it does roughly show the jet slamming into SW Europe.

yes, 18z trending very similar to ECM up to end of next week, often 18z seems to copy the evening ECM op offering anyway! Some very cold air at the surface next Friday, even in the south as we drag in a rather cold continental flow. Wouldn't take much of a shift for a major snow event for southern UK at least as Atlantic fronts try and push in from the SW up against the increasingly cold cP air.

Thanks for that. :D the 300 charts do look more detailed.

Posted

Lol ... looks like Jan 1987 in the depths of FI with sub -15C T850s across the UK. Worth saving I suppose ...

How many consecutive GFS runs has that been showing a protracted easterly through FI??

Posted

The GFS has just produced one of the best runs in history. It just shows the potential of this event. With those huge blocking highs you'd expect something good to come out of this eventually.