Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted

The recent satelitte looks impressive. Huge clumps of mess over us (although you can tell that they are convective in nature) but the low in the Atlantic looks good.

Also reading reports of possible thunder near Northampton and maybe Cambridge on other forums. Though no-one's sure if it is!

Posted

Yellow warnings issued on meto:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

For heavy rain and thunderstorms

Excellent! Yorkshire and Humber included. May be worth staying up now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Yellow warnings issued on meto:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

For heavy rain and thunderstorms

Heavy rain and thunderstorms for yorkshire from 23.20 until 0600 LETS HOPE SO

We have had a very intense thunderstorm in the past hour down here. It is raining preety heavy now still. I suspect you will see some thundery outbreaks in the coming hours once the long wave trough moves in. One thing I do notice in the Lake District is how the fells can enhance convection, central and eastern parts of the district often see more intense convection aided by the uplift of cooler air rising over the fells.

This thread is alive tonight and reminds me of the days in winter when we have snow action. Hopefully many more days/evenings like this during this season. I think this summer is going to be a good one for thunder, recent years have seen very little thundery activity, last year was exceptionally quiet.

do you think areas like carlisle could see intense storms, had distant lightning last night but apart from that nothing else heavy rain now

Excellent! Yorkshire and Humber included. May be worth staying up now?

Seems more promising, but I fear that i'll be on the eastern most extent of the precipitation, but you never know.

Either way, we'll all know come 12:30 1:00am with regards to will it won't it. if it looks promising i'll be going for a drive to the humber bridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Question is, is it worth staying up for a few more hours to see when this this front comes through?

Just had a really heavy burst of rain too, and strangly its gone warmer...but my brain died hours ago

Posted

Seems more promising, but I fear that i'll be on the eastern most extent of the precipitation, but you never know.

Either way, we'll all know come 12:30 1:00am with regards to will it won't it. if it looks promising i'll be going for a drive to the humber bridge.

That should be awesome on the Humber Bridge!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

We have had a very intense thunderstorm in the past hour down here. It is raining preety heavy now still. I suspect you will see some thundery outbreaks in the coming hours once the long wave trough moves in. One thing I do notice in the Lake District is how the fells can enhance convection, central and eastern parts of the district often see more intense convection aided by the uplift of cooler air rising over the fells.

This thread is alive tonight and reminds me of the days in winter when we have snow action. Hopefully many more days/evenings like this during this season. I think this summer is going to be a good one for thunder, recent years have seen very little thundery activity, last year was exceptionally quiet.

I heard the thunder in the distance, I have had heavy rain falling for about 20 mins now but no lightning/thunder. I'm quite surprised at the low electrical activity tonight last night was amazing and it went on for a good few hours with amazing fork lightning all around.

Its a good job that happened last night or I would have been even more disapointed with tonights offerings than I am currently, the general forcast was for much more activity today/tonight than yesterday, but whilst some areas have had storms they are no where near as severe or as widespread as friday night, even though the conditons were far more favourable.

I look forward to the next thundery spell of weather as I was loving sitting in the dark last night and just watching the power unleashed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I'm going to bed now as I can't wait up for this cold front. If I get woken up that would be great. Just raining lightly here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have to say that despite what you may be seeing on the radar for us down here, very little of it seems to be reaching the ground as we are under what appears as a fairly heavy echo and yet there is nothing.

Still time to go, but im loosing confidence at the moment :wallbash:

This evening I have received moderate rain since 2000hrs, you may well catch up overnight yet.

Really heavy rain still coming down we have had over an inch in the last 24 hours and thunder last night good show :yahoo:

Cowes has 13mm we have 9.8mm I am told

Kents missing out do you think anything will come east or is it game over :(.......

When I briefly lived in Kent in 1987 I was pleasantly shocked. I have etched on my mind that I have never been to a more stormy place. I am sure that by the end of summer you will have had more than most lol.

we are expecting an upper trough to move in across the south tonight, which should change the game a little - the precip running up through the ountry at the moment doesnt have all the ingredients in place, but imo its about now that we need to watch the band of intensity move north across the south - to take a stab I'd say the bristol area and west in a couple of hours time, and then more central and eastern southern parts early morning. Torro wouldn't have put out that forecst without having a good view synopticaly of whats going to be added ingredient wise, while most of us just have the radar to go by - that said anything could happen!

:) Sam

edit: serious downpour here!!!

Excellent more fun to watch for B)

Nowt here in SE Kent, loving the radar returns for some areas of the UK though! Should be some pretty impressive rainfall totals by the morning

The radar returns are the most dramatic for months lol No doubt there will be plenty with more than 20mm

That should be awesome on the Humber Bridge!

Indeed it would be, it's a fantastic viewing point.

I'll never forget the storms of summer 2005, me and my friend went to watch the show, it was 4-5 hours of constant activity, thanks to a Spanish Plume, lovely fat MCS, which has nowhere near being beaten to that eventful night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

post-11361-0-30074000-1304806715_thumb.gheres the situation at 2200hrs i have just drawn up!

here it is

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

There are more sferics occuring in the channel now, at least it's something! i'm glued to the radar and this forum until 4AM anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Question is, is it worth staying up for a few more hours to see when this this front comes through?

Just had a really heavy burst of rain too, and strangly its gone warmer...but my brain died hours ago

Im thinking the same..

I also just had a heavy downpour with some string gusts so evidently these cells are quite potent.. Just zero thunder.

It is indeed picking up to the SW and South again now.. Hmmmmm.

Posted

Dont see any graphic there ess! I think your right though, the trough showing its hand now - the cold front, imo, still west of the mainland but fast approaching

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi all, met office have yellow warnings out for quite a few regions issued at 23:03:

Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to give 10-20mm quite widely, with up to 30-40mm in a few places. This could fall in a relatively short space of time. Conditions are expected to improve from the south towards dawn on Sunday.

Edited by slb97

Posted

Also reading reports of possible thunder near Northampton and maybe Cambridge on other forums. Though no-one's sure if it is!

I'm just north west of Camb, so I do hope so! I cant see any activity from here though, no rain as of yet even. Hopefully things will kick off soon with this cold front (not that I know what the effect would be :p )

Posted

Indeed it would be, it's a fantastic viewing point.

I'll never forget the storms of summer 2005, me and my friend went to watch the show, it was 4-5 hours of constant activity, thanks to a Spanish Plume, lovely fat MCS, which has nowhere near being beaten to that eventful night.

I always miss the storms with being in a dip or they die out over the pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Its certainly interesting that the metoffice have issued flash warnings ( valid @ 23:20 tonight ) .. Just coming into valid..

They must of seen something we havent. As quite clearly theres zero thunder ( and the cells are quite small at the moment )

yes. Yes. yes.. I know we know what will / should kick it off.. However the metoffice know this also. I just wish the meto would have an extra section that explains why they have just issued it ( and their reasons )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

MET OFFICE WARNINGSSquote"Issued at - 07 May 2011, 23:03

Valid from - 07 May 2011, 23:20

Valid to - 08 May 2011, 06:00

Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to give 10-20mm quite widely, with up to 30-40mm in a few places."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

post-11361-0-30074000-1304806715_thumb.gheres the situation at 2200hrs i have just drawn up! as you can see the cold front is seperate from the trough to the east, this makes it to the area of the trough later, like meeting up really then this is like a bit of a battle, this then causing some fighting of airmasses ..cold and warm air battle it out making storms!:drinks:

That trough is dead over Stafford at present, I'm a little clueless is that good for storms over us if the cold front hits it over us?

Cheers,

Mike.

Posted

Its not very often the met office mention the T word. So I'm staying up lol