Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

8 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Looking very promising for the north east again, plenty of showers coming our way and intensifiying on there way. All take a repeat of last night please. Feels cool outside but also quite close very strange

Yeah the NE has done amazingly both in Winter and Summer this year what with the heavy convective snow storms and a fair few thunderstorms this year. The tables have turned. Make the most of it 'coz by next summer we will probably get nowt! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Yeah the NE has done amazingly both in Winter and Summer this year what with the heavy convective snow storms and a fair few thunderstorms this year. The tables have turned. Make the most of it 'coz by next summer we will probably get nowt! :good:

Yes your probely right nothing will top the thunder snow we had last winter that was amazing but saying that last nights storm ran it close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A decent downpour here followed by some large Thunder in the distance...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That snowy spell in late November/early December turned into a massive disappointment in Norwich- it started very promisingly with sunshine and snow showers on the 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th, with some heavy ones on the 29th and potential for a lot more with those ENE'lys, traditionally a reliable setup for big dumpings in Norwich. Instead, we had a partial thaw and refreeze overnight 29th/30th (leaving useless ice on the ground) and then spent three days in a dry corridor. However, I did get to oversee the Tyne and Wear event with the help of Neil Bradshaw's readings and webcam from South Shields and subsequently the readings from my own AWS when I got them emailed to me.

It obviously isn't anything to do with me, for although Norwich has had more in the way of exciting weather since I left, the "pace" of exciting weather seems to have stepped up in Cleadon since I came. It's just a statistical quirk- traditionally Tyne and Wear isn't a thundery region (average 8 days of thunder per year), but there is always variation either side of the average.

Looks like the proper convective stuff is approaching Tyne and Wear now as I can see blue skies and convective cells developing after a fairly extensive sheet of grey cloud earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

A few rumbles here an the sky is looking angry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Another heavy shower here, same intensity, I believe its what they call stair-rods. :p

Very black to the SE, S and SW.

Mike.

Posted

Was going to get in my car and find the storms today as it doesnt look like they are coming to me.

But where to go? Looking a bit messy at the minute, might have to sit tight and watch the radar, been really poor in my area recently.

Not doing well from this setup so far today. The showers are reaching here heavy, but then intensify further as they head NE. I'm worried the next batch over Wales will do the same :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

That snowy spell in late November/early December turned into a massive disappointment in Norwich- it started very promisingly with sunshine and snow showers on the 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th, with some heavy ones on the 29th and potential for a lot more with those ENE'lys, traditionally a reliable setup for big dumpings in Norwich. Instead, we had a partial thaw and refreeze overnight 29th/30th (leaving useless ice on the ground) and then spent three days in a dry corridor. However, I did get to oversee the Tyne and Wear event with the help of Neil Bradshaw's readings and webcam from South Shields and subsequently the readings from my own AWS when I got them emailed to me.

It obviously isn't anything to do with me, for although Norwich has had more in the way of exciting weather since I left, the "pace" of exciting weather seems to have stepped up in Cleadon since I came. It's just a statistical quirk- traditionally Tyne and Wear isn't a thundery region (average 8 days of thunder per year), but there is always variation either side of the average.

Looks like the proper convective stuff is approaching Tyne and Wear now as I can see blue skies and convective cells developing after a fairly extensive sheet of grey cloud earlier.

Think I am gonna start calling you Thor TWS :drinks: It's ususally the opposite way around for me. I would move to tornado alley and all the severe weather would transfer as far away as possible! lol I really feel lucky since I moved back to the Northeast last August. The winter was amazing and the summer (in terms of thunder) is proving to be one to remember too! :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Getting more electrical here now, no cloud structure at all visible just the eery grey..

Posted

Some quite inense cells building up along the leading edge of the rain band. Running NW to SE from Barrow in Furness, through Clitheroe, Bradford and further on towards Barnsley and Doncaster.

Posted

Reports of lightning storm in Spalding, and BBC weatherman Paul Hudson has said that the cell is heading north!!!!!! Hope he's right this time!

Posted

Was going to get in my car and find the storms today as it doesnt look like they are coming to me.

But where to go? Looking a bit messy at the minute, might have to sit tight and watch the radar, been really poor in my area recently.

I'd get in your car and head north if i was you :rolleyes: Show is pretty much over for London and the SE for now

Posted

A decent downpour here followed by some large Thunder in the distance...

that seems to be the storm that just hit here and still going strong, heading your way now,intensifying as it goes on.

strikes every few seconds,very impressive for this neck of the woods.enjoydrinks.gif

Posted

Reports of lightning storm in Spalding, and BBC weatherman Paul Hudson has said that the cell is heading north!!!!!! Hope he's right this time!

looking to my NE theres a monster anvil just SE of leeds

Had a meaty downpour 20 mins ago.

Edited by Richie V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Probably South/Central Midlands, Northamptonshire area has the best shot at thundery activity today IMO.

Posted

This Set-Up is a lot like the Virtically Stacked cold core Low systems they get in the States with the main thundery action North East of the Low moving North West (Eg Scotland and NE England)

Posted

Pronounced rotation in that cell over Boston at the moment, heading NE up the western side of the 'Wash' towards Skegness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Eagerly waiting for a thunderstorm today, not just a distant rumble. Have already had 3 torrential downpours, the most recent one containing hail. Temperature dropped to 11.2C, lower than at any time last night, but now climbing back up to 14.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Its quiet on here today. Hardly any storm reports. Ok i take that back my pc would not refresh so i could not see the comments

Edited by paul m

Posted

Its quiet on here today. Hardly any storm reports. Ok i take that back my pc would not refresh so i could not see the comments

Blimey, only just half way through and you want to go home for your tea? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

wooo, finaly large hail, thunder and lightning.its been a long time and on my birthday aswel lol :drinks:

Happy Birthday to You!!

:drinks:

Posted

My first UK storm in 3 years near Edinburgh airport!!! Some pretty frequent t and l. Been right on the edge of it so far but getting very dark.