Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 12

kold weather

Posted

Crickey just checked the latest radar and played the loop back!

If that precip misses us then we are very unlucky, even if the most potent band doesn't cross London then I'm sure some kind of precip will cross us be it light or in a showery form! Giving anything from a dusting to a couple of cm's give or take.

Just picked mother up from heathrow and in the south terminal on the notice boards

"possible risk of flight delays due to adverse weather conditions valid from 19:00hrs Thursday 9th February - please check with your Airline"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well the NAE 12z is a significant shift east, which makes sense as the 6z was so far out if you compared it with the radar.

12z for 6pm:

12020918_0912.gif

This is what the 6z showed:

12020918_0906.gif

12z for midnight:

12021000_0912.gif

Compare to the 6z:

12021000_0906.gif

I think some of us could be in for a couple of cm's, which I would not turn my nose up at!

I like the look of that shift!

Posted

Most of what looks like is currently on its way is slushy cold rain by the looks of it - nothing to get excited about yet! I think the main event is later on, maybe 20.00 hrs onwards?

post-6667-0-76685500-1328799689_thumb.jp

All that snow currently out in the North Sea - could that have the whole regions name on it, as opposed to just the west of the region?

Or is it destined to suddenly veer off west before it reaches us?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temps got up to a blamey 0.4c today.

Back down to 0c already.

Posted

Crickey just checked the latest radar and played the loop back!

If that precip misses us then we are very unlucky, even if the most potent band doesn't cross London then I'm sure some kind of precip will cross us be it light or in a showery form! Giving anything from a dusting to a couple of cm's give or take.

Just picked mother up from heathrow and in the south terminal on the notice boards

"possible risk of flight delays due to adverse weather conditions valid from 19:00hrs Thursday 9th February - please check with your Airline"

this is very interesting ..... http://www.buienradar.nl/buienradar-3-uur-vooruit.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Ive got an idea, How about the artic front pushing east is slower moving and allows a load of that precip in the north sea to flood further south and then the artic front pushes in behind it and we all get buried in deep snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

mmmmm.......could this be one of those surprise snow events! :)

It seems to be getting better by the minute. Egg on the face of the meto if it does snow in London.

Posted

Coast, forgive me if I am wrong. But this is the spoiler for us is it not?

This Arctic front is pushing the PPN away from us.

I hope not as those yellow arrows show the predicted position of it at 18.00 UTC tonight (I think that's 5 our time?). Bit of touch and go at the moment and I don't want to dampen the mood or dash any hopes as people in the EA thread area already seeing something in their part of the World form the pink stuff showing on the current NW radar.

Still confident a lot of the West and North of the SE region will see something tonight, not sure about 'my back yard' or places to the East and South of London.

I wonder what Kaddy thinks, I'll get on the blower to her.... a062.gif

PDVD_021.JPG

Posted

Balmy here now the wind is from the NE & Off the North Sea

Temp : 2.0c

Dewp : -1.4c

Lost quite a few Cm's here today and down to about 2-3cm on the grass in the parts that do not see sunshine!

Posted

This is confusing lol, I really can't see that band veering left and missing our region...or can it. Will be glued to the rader, but maybe there could be a few suprises? ...wel shall see..

Posted

I suspect the front is finally starting to shift SSW now looking at the radar but the more I .look at it the more its looking good for northern and western areas of this region, think the northern Home Counties maybe getting an unexpected snowfall this eveing...

Posted

I hope not as those yellow arrows show the predicted position of it at 18.00 UTC tonight (I think that's 5 our time?). Bit of touch and go at the moment and I don't want to dampen the mood or dash any hopes as people in the EA thread area already seeing something in their part of the World form the pink stuff showing on the current NW radar.

Still confident a lot of the West and north of the SE region will see something tonight, not sure about my back yard or places to the East and South of London.

I wonder what Kaddy thinks, I'll get on the blower to her.... a062.gif

PDVD_021.JPG

Yeah I've been watching this Arctic front on the models and it comes out the Baltic, through Poland, Germany, Denmark etc, before diving South over Holland/Belgium and missing us.

This is bringing the colder air and a rise in pressure behind it and is the reason why the PPN over the UK will eventually dive SW, thus missing our region (well certainly the further S and E you are). Now, IF this Arctic front slows and ends up further east....

Edited by Shrimper

Posted

i had a text message from a driving agency earlier, urgently requiring snow plough drivers for heathrow airport! they may just be being over-cautious but they must be expecting some heavy snow to be draughting in agency drivers!

Oh dear, mind you a single flake is enough to cancel half the flights at Heathrow, then they over react to a possible dusting. God knows who they'll (won't) cope with olympic traffic.

Posted

I suspect the front is finally starting to shift SSW now looking at the radar but the more I .look at it the more its looking good for northern and western areas of this region, think the northern Home Counties maybe getting an unexpected snowfall this eveing...

Its not really unexpected though is it Kold. We have seen the forecasts that state nw london sw london w london to see a few cms tonight maybe more if we see a further shift east.

Posted

This is confusing lol, I really can't see that band veering left and missing our region...or can it. Will be glued to the rader, but maybe there could be a few suprises? ...wel shall see..

If you run the radar loop the area of precip furthest out in the North Sea is being dragged SSW Towards the Wash, the area on land over the Hull area is moving South, would expect when they all join up near the Wash / Skegness area then it will pull away to the SW, So imho London Westwards can expect some bonus snow tonight, Eastern Essex, Eastern Suffolk and all of Kent and East Sussex is not looking good at the moment unless the disturbance can drag in some potent showers from the North Sea overnight, winds are North Easterly here now at the Estuary!

Posted

If you run the radar loop the area of precip furthest out in the North Sea is being dragged SSW Towards the Wash, the area on land over the Hull area is moving South, would expect when they all join up near the Wash / Skegness area then it will pull away to the SW, So imho London Westwards can expect some bonus snow tonight, Eastern Essex, Eastern Suffolk and all of Kent and East Sussex is not looking good at the moment unless the disturbance can drag in some potent showers from the North Sea overnight, winds are North Easterly here now at the Estuary!

Chance of a kent streamer ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yep looking at the radar I can't see how some of us can miss out. Especially with that PPN currently between Peterborough and Norwich and the direction it's heading in.

Posted

Got ya :good: cheers Paul, and the showers in the North Sea are not struggling to get going either..

Posted

mmmmm.......could this be one of those surprise snow events! :)

It seems to be getting better by the minute. Egg on the face of the meto if it does snow in London.

It was predicted to head West and it has been so Met Office seem right with the warnings to West of us.

Posted

Yeah thats how i'm seeing it, looking increasingly good for N.Home Counties at the moment with the way the precip is moving...

However the precip shield is STILL moving pretty much due south and interestingly whlst you may have NE wind, not everywhere has at the moment...

So whilst I'd say your call looks about right, for now the whole lot is still coming right at us...current motion maybe a hair west of due south, if it doesn't shift soon London may get some surprise Rush Hour snow...

Posted

All i would say is expect the unexpected and it is better to be in the game than not at all, like Darren says some are going to get a bonus snowfall tonight and a decent 1 at that with 2-5cm! The North Sea is very unstable today as well which puts the areas further east at risk as well.

I would go with the following and apologies if I have left any areas of the Home Counties out

Suffolk : East (20% risk of showers) West could do well from Main Front

Essex : East (20% risk of showers) West could do well from Main Front

Herts : Should do quite well esp the further west you are

Beds : Should do quite well esp the further west you are

Bucks : Looks Nailed on for decent Snowfall

Berks : Looks Nailed on for decent Snowfall

Kent : 40-50% risk of showers

Sussex : East risk of showers, West from Main Front

Surrey : The more west the better from the Main Front

Hants : Should do quite well from the Front

London and Middlesex should do well the further west you are

Yeah thats how i'm seeing it, looking increasingly good for N.Home Counties at the moment with the way the precip is moving...

However the precip shield is STILL moving pretty much due south and interestingly whlst you may have NE wind, not everywhere has at the moment...

So whilst I'd say your call looks about right, for now the whole lot is still coming right at us...current motion maybe a hair west of due south, if it doesn't shift soon London may get some surprise Rush Hour snow...

Agree Darren!