Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 12

kold weather

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Well temp still going up here now currently 4.2 dewpoint -0.4

That seems very high. Are you recording close to a building with possible ambient heat ? I currently have 1.4, which is quite similar to the official reading at Shoreham at 1pm which is 1.6.

As I said earlier...

It's all just started to pivot in the last half hour or so. Our only hope is that band over the N.Sea, to the NE of Hull. But, I have a feeling this will start to draw SSW shortly and enter around the Wash area. I think the Eastern extent will be a line from Kings Lynn down to Luton, through to Reading and then West to Bristol.

As an addition to that. We may possibly catch the odd shower as it all pulls away SW. But other than that we are going to be sitting this one out. In the Extreme NW of our region you may have a chance of something a little more potent.

I hope not lol...

Posted

According to the radar, we should have precipitation in Westgate on Sea. Nothing!

Posted

It's no use, I'm going to have to get this beasty out and point it at the sky to drag some stuff down!

outdoor-litter-vacuum-cleaner-166699.jpg

Posted

According to the radar, we should have precipitation in Westgate on Sea. Nothing!

Yep. No surprise. It has been doing that all morning in most regions. Ignore the band to our immediate East. It won't give anything, bar the odd flake.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted

If the Front goes further South and East like it is doing now, wont any Snow turn to Rain? as it is quite mild behind it unless further cold air comes in from the East most of it will turn to rain?

Posted

If the Front goes further South and East like it is doing now, wont any Snow turn to Rain? as it is quite mild behind it unless further cold air comes in from the East most of it will turn to rain?

The front is moving South and will start to move further South West as we go through the afternoon. It's the cold air undercutting this front which is causing the snow and pushing it away from our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

That seems very high. Are you recording close to a building with possible ambient heat ? I currently have 1.4, which is quite similar to the official reading at Shoreham at 1pm which is 1.6.

Well thats what my weather station is saying ,it has been pretty accurate. :drinks:

Posted

i had a text message from a driving agency earlier, urgently requiring snow plough drivers for heathrow airport! they may just be being over-cautious but they must be expecting some heavy snow to be draughting in agency drivers!

Posted

Long way to go yet:

LOC_20120209_0830.png

Posted

Been looking at the sheerness radar horizon slowly disappearing, are you near the seafront? Can you see anything? Lookslike fog.....

From here the sky is all one shade of grey merging with the sea..

Posted

Most of what looks like is currently on its way is slushy cold rain by the looks of it - nothing to get excited about yet! I think the main event is later on, maybe 20.00 hrs onwards?

post-6667-0-76685500-1328799689_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well the NAE 12z is a significant shift east, which makes sense as the 6z was so far out if you compared it with the radar.

12z for 6pm:

12020918_0912.gif

This is what the 6z showed:

12020918_0906.gif

12z for midnight:

12021000_0912.gif

Compare to the 6z:

12021000_0906.gif

I think some of us could be in for a couple of cm's, which I would not turn my nose up at!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Well the NAE 12z is a significant shift east, which makes sense as the 6z was so far out if you compared it with the radar.

12z for 6pm:

12020918_0912.gif

This is what the 6z showed:

12020918_0906.gif

12z for midnight:

12021000_0912.gif

Compare to the 6z:

12021000_0906.gif

I think some of us could be in for a couple of cm's, which I would not turn my nose up at!

You beat me to it mate, yeah a couple of cms for a decent part of our region, if we could squeeze another 30-40miles then we could get a surprise IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Also as the mettoffice said. This is a developing situation. If the that precip stays over the north sea longer then we could get some convection going or the area of precip may expand taking more areas into the equation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

think this one tonight will miss us here. Not too worried though, It's definately someone else's tun for the snow, we still have 8cm out in the garden. Good luck all those in the firing line :D

Posted

think this one tonight will miss us here. Not too worried though, It's definately someone else's tun for the snow, we still have 8cm out in the garden. Good luck all those in the firing line :D

I think this is changing all the time....there is a large area of precip still out in the north sea...if it stays out there for a bit longer it will pick up more moisture..??

Edited by spayne

Posted

According to the NW extra radar it should be snowing here now but it isn't...

High today of 3.4c now down to 1.6c

Posted

Long way to go yet:

LOC_20120209_0830.png

Coast, forgive me if I am wrong. But this is the spoiler for us is it not?

This Arctic front is pushing the PPN away from us. If this Arctic front was further East, we would of been in with a shot of some decent snow tonight from the current band over the UK.

Edited by Shrimper