Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

ive just stuck my postcode (DE11) in the met office site and its showing this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/de11

nigh on 36hrs of snow. yeah it might be light but we still have 1/2" of lying snow from last monday.

and another potential reload this coming monday as well clapping.gif

one thing i'm not looking forward to is the return journey from work. last time the weather did this it took me 4 hours to do the 10 mile journey home.

Posted

Indeed, we're already pushing it as is sad.png

This is why I despise living in the midlands though with regards to snow...Too far west for showers off the north sea, too far east to really benefit from much stuff coming off the atlantic, except in exceptional circumstances.

Fortunately we do have other opportunities (and all is not lost yet with Friday's event)

People now saying the M1 IS THE BOUNDARY.......... good luck mate and enjoy the snow, whilst 2 miles east of the M1 I'LL GET NOWT rofl.gif rofl.gif

I think some people are now guessing.

Posted

Snow struggling to get any further east than Birmingham by Friday evening. If this continues even those celebrating in the west midlands will all be out of luck.

Posted

Snow struggling to get any further east than Birmingham by Friday evening. If this continues even those celebrating in the west midlands will all be out of luck.

For the past 24 hours your responses have contained misinformation consistently. You were warned in the Models thread (I'm not sure whether you saw it?) - but you really need to start backing up your posts with charts and detailed explanations as you're potentially misleading a fair amount of people.

Back on-topic; Snowfall still going to effect the East Midlands, accumulations perhaps not as extensive as those in the West Midlands but still looking good for 2-5cm's quite widely - which is great news for those of us with existing snow cover already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am not liking the 18z GFS, but then again, yesterdays 18z did a similar thing and then the 00z and 06z looked lots better. However, yet again, we in the East Midlands are on a knife edge and its a very steep one too.

Currently as things stand the majority of our region will get between 0.1 and 20cm of snow on Friday! At least we know it will be cold lol!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Your not looking at the same charts as me polar low im on phone but the gfs 18z at no point into midday sat has any precip east of Birmingham. That's not me saying it that's what charts show. Given NAE looks further west aswell when that's all the way to plus 48 that won't show much if anything either. Not saying come +0 itl end up like that but those 2 outputs are showing nothing

Posted

I'm only a Novice, but, having looked at the charts tonight, they have done the same as they did last night. The first set I looked at were great, and after the run, they were good - but not as great as the first lot. The same has happened again tonight, and we all know that snow is always more about radar watching and (s)Nowcasting than anything else!! So, I, for one, am still looking forward to Friday!!!

On another note, all this cold and snow is getting me proper prepared for my (first ever time abroad) trip to Iceland in a few weeks - yey!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm only a Novice, but, having looked at the charts tonight, they have done the same as they did last night. The first set I looked at were great, and after the run, they were good - but not as great as the first lot. The same has happened again tonight, and we all know that snow is always more about radar watching and (s)Nowcasting than anything else!! So, I, for one, am still looking forward to Friday!!!

On another note, all this cold and snow is getting me proper prepared for my (first ever time abroad) trip to Iceland in a few weeks - yey!!!!

Wow, you lucky thing. I have always wanted to go to Iceland - something about snow and volcanoes together interests me.

BBC Forecast still looks good for snow over our region. Okay, places to our west look to get the brunt of it, but we will still get a decent snowfall if the BBC is correct. GFS just likes to keep us on our toes with the inevitable spanner, although its not saying no snow, just not much snow.

Still more prospects next week though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Doing a quick poll for Midlands members here - please vote:

http://forum.netweat...bers-snap-poll/

Makes sense, it was a huge region compared to others, we can always butt in on other regional threads for info! Would be nice to stay region specific.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

For the past 24 hours your responses have contained misinformation consistently. You were warned in the Models thread (I'm not sure whether you saw it?) - but you really need to start backing up your posts with charts and detailed explanations as you're potentially misleading a fair amount of people.

Back on-topic; Snowfall still going to effect the East Midlands, accumulations perhaps not as extensive as those in the West Midlands but still looking good for 2-5cm's quite widely - which is great news for those of us with existing snow cover already.

Dude, if you look at the GFS 18z then Newark would be lucky to see much, if anything. Even Leicester would struggle to get more than a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Dude, if you look at the GFS 18z then Newark would be lucky to see much, if anything. Even Leicester would struggle to get more than a dusting.

But you fail to use The Force youngling?, charts matter not, to a Jedi....

Posted

I'm not denying that fact.

But let's not forget we are talking about the infamous "pub run", and the GFS in general has been pretty poor throughout the last 7-10 days. Look, the bottom line is that it shouldn't be discounted (of course not), but it also shouldn't be read as gospel - are you now discounting all the other models?

We're at such a short range now that after the next 1-2 runs it's going to be a case of nowcasting anyway. Just enjoy it. To be quite honest, days like today have been a fantastic advert for the British Winter - significant snowfall would just be an additional bonus (we still have 4-5cm cover, with literally zero thaw).

Posted

My concerns posted about this time last night remain. Averaged out over the 5 runs since that original posting, the chances of decent snow getting into our area are 40%. We will be in the blind zone, with only light stuff. Nagging doubts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I'm not denying that fact.

But let's not forget we are talking about the infamous "pub run", and the GFS in general has been pretty poor throughout the last 7-10 days. Look, the bottom line is that it shouldn't be discounted (of course not), but it also shouldn't be read as gospel - are you now discounting all the other models?

We're at such a short range now that after the next 1-2 runs it's going to be a case of nowcasting anyway. Just enjoy it. To be quite honest, days like today have been a fantastic advert for the British Winter - significant snowfall would just be an additional bonus (we still have 4-5cm cover, with literally zero thaw).

Yeah that is true, I just don't want it to go wrong! I know we got a decent event on Monday but more often than not... Possible snow events 2-3 days away normally downgrade for us.

Posted

Pfft, I'm sending this run straight to the bin. It can't possibly be THAT dire for us in terms of snow prospects. That said, it's clearly not going to be a classic either.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

MetO forecast still going for 56hours of light snow for Leicester.

Even if it doesn't amount to a whole lot, it shall be nice to witness never the less.