Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Hmmm gotta drive to Birmingham and back on friday night for part of the wife's Christmas present better take a blanket and spade! help.gif

Posted

NAE pushes the snow further east (or rather faster at least) than most of the other models, starting the snow at midnight Thurs/Fri

Hmm, don't want it to come crashing through. slow and steady.

Posted

As much as I want a good snow event I also want the Leicester vs Middlesbrough game to go ahead on Friday night! A postponement wouldn't come as any surprise though. If it goes ahead getting home may prove tricky. Not to mention how cold it's going to feel at the ground, snow or no snow.

Posted

well the lack of posts sums up things for us right now. Hopefully a shift north east will show up on the 18zs. Ukmo still looks decent and gfs isn't a complete disaster more like 5cm rather than 10+ Fri to sat. My only concern is if things get shifted even further south west on the next couple of runs its game over, until next chance anyway.

If anyone got the ecm precip charts for the the 12z id be interested to see them.

Slightly humorous that your bemoaning a potential of "just 5cms".

Fact of the matter is, we're now in a reliable timeframe to say with strong confidence that we will see at least a covering of snow from this event- and with a good 3-4cms of already lying snow.. I'd consider that a win win situation. We can worry about actual depths when we're nowcasting - it's totally standard that we'll see little changes here and there in the run up to the event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Ecm precip charts look better for the east mids so possible more than 5cm. All I can confirm is nothings assured as gem,ukmo,ecm,gfs all have precip fri/sat slightly different

Fair enough, will hope for 10cm at least, ever being the optimist! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Running my own business, has made me see snow/cold events in a whole new light. This is my first winter..... Try laying block paving when your sand is frozen solid and your customer is at the top of winding cul-de-sac! Note to self... dump the beamer estate, buy a 4x4!! Sorry if this is off topic AJ, but I now understand your dilemma!!

Currently, Melton Mowbray has freezing fog, 20mm of standing snow and the car told me we never topped -4!!

Posted

The gfs is the worst model for us east midlanders with regards to snowfall, the others bring the precipitation through, though I don't think the snow would be of the heavy variety. More the slow steady type. The good thing is that with dew points and surface temperatures excellent, then it will have no trouble lying, even if intensities are low!

I reckon a round 5cm for most of us, perhaps more. The nae will be instructive in a couple of hours time. We def don't want to see it holding back the precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

As much as I want a good snow event I also want the Leicester vs Middlesbrough game to go ahead on Friday night! A postponement wouldn't come as any surprise though. If it goes ahead getting home may prove tricky. Not to mention how cold it's going to feel at the ground, snow or no snow.

You a city fan then?

Good news that the ECM is good for the East Midlands. I think we will know for sure by tomorrow morning what Friday will bring. If all the models are showing the band to make it as far as the Eastern side of the country then it will be ramp time for me!

Posted

You a city fan then?

Good news that the ECM is good for the East Midlands. I think we will know for sure by tomorrow morning what Friday will bring. If all the models are showing the band to make it as far as the Eastern side of the country then it will be ramp time for me!

I am indeed, season ticket holder. It's looking nailed on for snow on Friday as far as I can tell. The issue is going to be how much. Living right on the East/West Midlands border I'm pretty optimistic that I'll see a decent accumulation and even that bit further East in Leicester it seems unlikely that you will miss out entirely.

Posted

I can see the whole footy calender being wiped this weekend 80's style. BBC news 24 (I know, I know) has the snow reaching the east coast so I'm fairly confident over over 5 centimeters inland. What's the band going to do on Friday Night/Saturday then? Fizzle out, get stuck, or move back down south? Looks like Birmingham is going to get a right dumping it usually does well in these West (warm) vs East (cold) battle grounds...often though leaving us East Midlanders so close, yet so far from the action fool.gif

Posted

I am very excited about all of this but in terms of kids, driving eldest to nursery, babysitter getting to us so I can go to work etc, its a bloody nightmare morning! (potentially that is!)

Posted

Doing a quick poll for Midlands members here - please vote:

Posted

Very glad the threads are due to stay separated! The weather events between East & West are going to be very different over this spell.

Quite frankly, the Midlands area is so vast that the weather prospects for the Western Mids have absolutely zero relevance to those of us in the East! I keep checking back to this thread and I can say honestly that 99% of the posts have absolutely no relevance to us in the East.

I'd much rather have a quieter E Mids thread with relevant posts, than a busier one cluttered with posts that don't have any worth to myself (lets remember, that's the whole point of having regional threads in the first place!!)

My thoughts on the matter quoted above.

Voted = keep the split!

I understand some members are in locations that fall under both categories, but that's the minority view - would be disappointed to see these changes reverted.

Posted

Latest BBC news forecast has the snow lingering over us and eastern side of England on Saturday....so it is going to reach us at least but not sure how heavy it will be at that time. Very strong potential of at least 24 hours of continues snow, not often that happens.

Posted

Latest BBC news forecast has the snow lingering over us and eastern side of England on Saturday....so it is going to reach us at least but not sure how heavy it will be at that time. Very strong potential of at least 24 hours of continues snow, not often that happens.

Looks like it could stall, but it would be light stuff.

Posted

Looks like it could stall, but it would be light stuff.

Should be blowing around quite a bit though. Might add to the excitement even if we don't get huge amounts.

Posted

Any news on latest nae??

Only out to +6 always comes out later for the 18z. Don't no why

Posted

Bad news apparently, showing a further westward correction...we'll see though, I often find that snow is never ever accurately forecasted, even on the day it can come down to radar watching and nowcasting. Even so, this can't be a good sign for this event east of Brum.

Edit - Oh, if it's not out yet then disregard the above, I'm only passing on secondary information!

Edited by weatherguy

Posted

Bad news apparently, showing a further westward correction...we'll see though, I often find that snow is never ever accurately forecasted, even on the day it can come down to radar watching and nowcasting. Even so, this can't be a good sign for this event east of Brum.

Edit - Oh, if it's not out yet then disregard the above, I'm only passing on secondary information!

Any further west and this could go tits up.

Posted

Any further west and this could go tits up.

Indeed, we're already pushing it as is :(

This is why I despise living in the midlands though with regards to snow...Too far west for showers off the north sea, too far east to really benefit from much stuff coming off the atlantic, except in exceptional circumstances.

Fortunately we do have other opportunities (and all is not lost yet with Friday's event)