Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Freezing fog over here in Nottingham at the moment... looks like glitter falling from the sky.

Its looks amazing here, seen lots of freezing fog before but never seen it look so glittery even when stuck on the cars mirrors and windows,top class frost on the trees as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Unfortunately our region now looks to miss out on the main event on Friday (i am unsure about Saturday as its too far away to accurately forecast). If the later models do not change then we are out of the woods for disruptive snow.

There will still be snow, but in the region of 2-3cm rather than the 10-15cm that was being forecasted yesterday. BBC graphics on Carol Kirkwood's forecast also highlight this fact. It's annoying, but it may be beneficial in the long run. Bottom line is the cold block to our east is stronger than predicted, and so any forecasts of the Atlantic taking over next week can be taken with a pinch of salt IMO (although even the GFS appears to have backed down from this again).

Posted

Big Downgrades for us this morning, ref tomorrow .

This is according to Matt Hugo , who says everything moved west with N Ireland getting the biggest dumping.

Something to do with a low now embedded in the flow.

Need some more info I think , as I'm no expert , just a lurker from Leicester.

Posted

Yeah matt h has basically said the occlusion develops a low pressure on the front in the irish sea which heads into ireland stopping the front heading east. He's posted the midday fax in the mod discussion. can't post it in here as on phone.... gutted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Had a feeling this would happen :-( i knew i shouldnt have got my hopes up about it at 2 days away. Seen so many possible great snow events go t*ts up at that timeframe.

Posted

Gem and ukmo still have us down for 30 hours or light snow. Gfs looks snowier over the weekend. Imo the Friday thing was always gonna be light snow for us so hopefully itl be over a long period of time and given the weekends looking better this morning things are a slight improvement

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

NAE is absolutely hideous. Main snow staying to our South West, if we do get snow it will be extremely light and patchy.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As they just said on the BBC (MET) things will change closer to the event.. Im sure there will be a few more up's and downs yet !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I swear this happens EVERY TIME.

48hours out, all is looking great, east midlands in a great spot to get a nice thick pasting. This set up occurs several times a year. And then at 36 hours, 24 hours, 12 hours, we get a downgrade each time until we end up with nothing more than a dusting.

Posted

Met Office is showing constant light snow starting from Friday morning and continuing up until Saturday night. Then it resumes again on Sunday night.

May not be heavy, but still good.

Posted

I am somewhat confused that MetO has yet to change it's mind. The forecast for Leicester is largely the same as it was a day or two ago. Despite the fact models have been showing it not getting as far east as originally thought.

Perhaps MetO know something we don't. Which to be fair, is quite likely.

Posted

We still have covering where I am from Monday, so if all we get is a light covering making everywhere white again then Im not going to complain, Light snow falling in freezing tempertures virtually all weekend, I will take that

Posted

We still have covering where I am from Monday, so if all we get is a light covering making everywhere white again then Im not going to complain, Light snow falling in freezing tempertures virtually all weekend, I will take that

By light snow, they mean about 5mm over about 50 hours.

That's going to be very light snow, too light to be very interesting to look at.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

I am somewhat confused that MetO has yet to change it's mind. The forecast for Leicester is largely the same as it was a day or two ago. Despite the fact models have been showing it not getting as far east as originally thought.

Perhaps MetO know something we don't. Which to be fair, is quite likely.

Latest NAE would suggest light snow is about right still. The band seems to move west to east till reaches Birmingham then pivot and take a more south to north direction

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

That's going to be very light snow, too light to be very interesting to look at.

But when it comes to light snow or heavy snow forecasts, how accurate are they? I've seen light snow forecast only for there to be no snow or the opposite and for there to be heavy snow.

I'm going to follow forecasts with great interest up until this evening and then after that just window watch!

Posted

Thats not what the Met Office Guy said on Radio Notttingham less that 30 mins ago, he said 5 cm plus latest NAE shunting it slightly further East tomorrow as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yeah NAE much better for all of us, mainly light snow but 2-5cms still okay, at least for my location

Posted

Yes!!nae goes east!!much better for leicester!

Yup 20mins to see if the gfs agrees. The NAE at least gives us hope that light snow is highly likely wereas early runs looked like we could even miss that. The other thing to be wary of though is that its yet another run from the NAE and yet another run wer the precip is different compared to the previous. I get the feeling we,LL never get two that agree

Posted

The extent of the light stuff is somewhat further east, however, the intense stuff does not go much further than 50 miles east of wales. NAE is predicting accumalations of about 5mm for my area. Which in theory could be up to 5cm of snow, which would be a satisfactory outcome - though a little underwhelming given what was previously predicted.

Posted

The extent of the light stuff is somewhat further east, however, the intense stuff does not go much further than 50 miles east of wales. NAE is predicting accumalations of about 5mm for my area. Which in theory could be up to 5cm of snow, which would be a satisfactory outcome - though a little underwhelming given what was previously predicted.

Yup its far from blizzard conditions but 3-5cms will be just enough to cover the grass again which is nearly covered still from Mondays snow. If the next couple of runs increased intensity then we could get a bit more. Yesterday it was downgrade after downgrade hopefully todays the opposite