Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 06z ----->

A.J

Posted

Not many people are looking at Mondays possible snowstorm, could be even bigger than Fridays

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Wonder what Ian F's thought on Monday are

Think he is rightly focussing on the potential disruptive event on Friday for the West Country rather than focussing too much on something 5 days away yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Recently updated weekend forecast from the Met Office;

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Remaining cold and windy. Outbreaks of sleet and snow spreading northeast through Friday and Saturday. Further rain and hill snow is then likely Sunday. Overnight frost and ice in east.

Sounds like the further north and east you are in the region, the better the chance of seeing sustained snowcover. Cotswolds could get buried this weekend.

Live in West Oxfordshire so not quite cotswolds but near! Hope to see a good dumping from this. Had 6cm the other day so cant comlain so far. From a purely selfish point of view would like a slight shift east which may happen over next 24 hrs. Good news is the majority of people will do well out of this.

First post by the way so hello to everyone. Any other Oxfordshire folk on here?

Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Recently updated weekend forecast from the Met Office;

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Remaining cold and windy. Outbreaks of sleet and snow spreading northeast through Friday and Saturday. Further rain and hill snow is then likely Sunday. Overnight frost and ice in east.

Sounds like the further north and east you are in the region, the better the chance of seeing sustained snowcover. Cotswolds could get buried this weekend.

Indeed AWD and for others to understand, is that where the snow falls and lies, local to your patch, the snowcover will simply aid further cooling down and modifying of the air nearby.

AFAIK, none of the existing model output takes account of these aforementioned factors.

In other words, everything from t+0 onwards will change, so picking out specific snowfall amounts is futile, as is DP and AT predictions.

Its GAME ON SNOW for a whole of this region and I can't wait for the next 48 hours to start counting down.

Posted

right guys, a quick one for the more educated...... ill try and only ask once over the next couple of days as we will all be at it otherwise!

from what i can make out here IMBY we might be lucky to get a couple hours of snow & then the rest of the event will be rain. correct?

If the above is true and not an inflated opinion, how much of a westward or south westward movement of the undercutter will there need to be to be in with a greater chance of an all snow event, or is this just off the cards anyway?

with the little i have learnt from you knowledgeable peeps (if im correct & looking at it right) me here in Exeter is right on the egde of marginal for 850 temps, ground temps, prevailing wind SSSE, & front ingress?

other than this you can see like many of you i need to stop looking in here every ten minutes!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! rofl.gif

Posted

Hi Birdman and welcome to Netweather and this regional thread!! Fingers crossed you get all the snow you want up there good.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Live in West Oxfordshire so not quite cotswolds but near! Hope to see a good dumping from this. Had 6cm the other day so cant comlain so far. From a purely selfish point of view would like a slight shift east which may happen over next 24 hrs. Good news is the majority of people will do well out of this.

Cheers

Welcome Birdman! Oxonians are very rare in these parts on here :) I hope we both do very well on the weekends action :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
rofl.gifrofl.gifsearch.gif The 3rd icon is me trying to find my car after the weekends snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowfall similar to these scenes again would be most appreciated, Mr Weather System!

post-15543-0-69042300-1358340117_thumb.j

post-15543-0-50587900-1358340118_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just for a laugh and purposes of fun, I thought I'd look back at some previous thoughts.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75086-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__60#entry2418646

The above also provides a link to GPs forecast which, when looking at January's prediction, may well be bang on target!

And then this post, back on the 26th November.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75086-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__20#entry2417591

Whilst, the developing situation isn't exactly a Channel low situation, it is a rarity by any means. drinks.gif

I just love looking back at the past, as it can often give us signs as to what the future may hold.

Posted

Chilly old start here this morning & first sub zero temperature of the season with a min of -1C good.gif

3.5C currently but Met Office forecast shows sleet now here on Friday help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Oh I so hope this comes off for my location on Friday!! Still showing sleet all day for here. Hoping for an upgrade in the next 24-36 hours.

Posted

Cheers

Yes, one or two in here and you're most welcome to come in here and share your knowledge.

When you get a minute, could you kindly update your profile to show your location.

Welcome aboard.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Was hoping for an ice day today but alas just crept up to 0.2c

Posted

Met Office forecast shows sleet now here on Friday help.gif

Fingers crossed that you'll get snow ...although a quick trip over Portsdown hill and you'll lose any of the marginal coastal influence.

Even better .....Butser Hill is a really spectacular sledging destination if you can get yourself those few miles up the A3!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Welcome Birdman! Oxonians are very rare in these parts on here smile.png I hope we both do very well on the weekends action :-)

To be honest I never know whether we fall into South Midlands or North Central South regions. Perhaps we need our own thread?! As you allude to neither of the current threads seem to contain many people from our neck of the woods.

I started following you on twitter last night actually, funny coincidence!

We still have a lot of ice and a bit of snow on the ground so any further snow will settle readily. I have a feeling we could do quite well out of this.

All the best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Afternoon! Are we all prepared for the snow? I expect the amber warnings to get upgraded again at some point and it wouldn't surprise me if the red warnings get dished out.

A few snow grains here at the moment, current temp at 1.1°C and a dewpoint of -0.2°C

Posted

Well I don`t wish to put a dampener on things but I have just put the snowplough on the tractor this morning, so that`ll scupper it!!!!!! Rain all round!!!

But in all seriousness if we do get a good dumping I think the wind is going to produce some amazingly deep drifts, it can be pretty hard work trying to keep roads open in these situations almost impossible if the snow is blown off the fields.

I hope you all get what you wish for, am hopeful here in the Cotswolds that we have an epic weekend!!

Posted

For those that have been sweating the NAE's wobbles over the last few days, this may be an interesting read : http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/news/ukv

Note the graphics in particular - the poor old NAE looks a bit blocky doesn't it!

I'm fairly certain (but not 100%) that a section of the UKV output can be viewed on the Met Office website by going to the Map section and chosing precipitation. Attached is the farthest out it goes at the moment - Thursday evening. The front is just starting to push in.

post-18807-0-99721800-1358341044_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I'm still reserving judgment until the big day. Very high stakes here, I hope I am not one of the unlucky ones who are sat under rain while 25-50miles away people are getting buried under snow, how depressing would that be!

Posted

I'm in the yellow warning area but only about 10 miles away from the bottom of the amber area on met office warnings