Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I'm afraid I will have to differ as to the best of my knowledge the word mild hasn't featured in my posts. For example my posts tonight spoke of below average, some brief quite severe cold and average temps. I'm not fond of the rather silly term 'mild', always reminds me of when it was 1/3 a pint. Promise me you'll buck up Barry.

You did say above average in your earlier posts (same thing!) The mild 1/3 thing must of been before my time. :cc_confused:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, snow

who cares about snow, the most we will get is 5cm, bring on the hurricane force winds, more fun
(no fun for the southerners tho) lolololooool

Edited by hec1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

who cares about snow, the most we will get is 5cm, bring on the hurricane force winds, more fun

fun for me, you can keep that trash up there, as probably expected ECM and GFS way more flat on 00Z's, think models gradually will trend to a miles flatter pattern with milder westerlies and rain for the south, UKMO will backtrack on 12Z's

• Like 1

Posted

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I always think of the line in the polar express 'BELIEVE'

dont believe anything until its 100% certain its going to happen. belief in anything less most often leads to misery, frustration and disappointment, especially when dealing with something that theres no real sign of.

interestingly, the noaa anomaly charts dont support the scandi low/atlantic ridge (azores/greenland link). so this possible northerly blast doesnt look like lasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.

Yes frosty, much more seasonal than the whole of last winter already.hoping for something from the north east just in time for the festive period.maybe this will be our year? Many twists & turns to come yet tho.EW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

You did say above average in your earlier posts (same thing!) The mild 1/3 thing must of been before my time. :cc_confused:

You've obviously not drunk much beer then...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I must admit, looking at the extended time frame, I'm wondering whether it might be wise to get some sun block in case I venture out over Xmas.

Yes Knock, The reflection off the snow can be damaging to the skin. Always be prepared ! :wink:  

• Like 3

Posted

To say that above average temps equates to mild is plainly ridiculous even by the standards of the cold illiterati. I assume then in the future some sort of code will have to be found to indicate 'above average temps' in order to eradicate causing undue stress to the latter.

Yes Knock, The reflection off the snow can be damaging to the skin. Always be prepared ! :wink:  

Why quite PM, but I was thinking of my pate.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Despite the frustrating situation and waiting for building blocks to fall into place, we're doing pretty well out of it. Down here in the 'mild' south we've had three sub-zero minima out of the last six days and escaped with no rain (here anyway). Next week we see the Atlantic stepping up a notch but from the northwest with any mildness coming in brief warm sectors. One could say the we're getting the best out of a not-ideal situation. I think patience is key for proper cold and it wouldn't surprise me if it came from the north first.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

^SM did post his forecast a few days ago and perhaps he is just not confident of a cold snowy outlook?

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Yeah, saw that, but after each run of the models he normally has some comment to make.

He may be waiting for the 'building blocks' to fall into place. Just a thought. But fear not, I'm sure MacArthur's famous quote will be applicable.

Edited by knocker

Posted

He may be waiting for the 'building blocks' to fall into place. Just a thought. But fear not, I'm sure MacArthur's famous quote will be applicable.

But it took MacArthur more than two years Knocks! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed but when Ian f talks of nothing sustained through December does feel me with dread the models do reflect this to degree little worrying to say the least.

How many times have the professionals beet caught out. They are simply giving their opinions on a phenomenon that no one fully understands to this day.

chin up folks long way to go just yet.

by the way I'm a mildy!

• Like 3

Posted

Around the 288 mark, but the signal persists in some form all the way through to the end at +360.

Yes this is the predominant theme, but it's good to see some hints of the HP further west.

Either way, mild is not a word I'd use to describe the further outlook.

I should hope not otherwise you would be relegated to pariah's bench.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm just beginning to wonder if the Meto will have to update their slightly 'cautious' updates for next 7 days or so, more in favour of slightly below average temps and higher snow risk?

This week *may* prove to be a turning point for the UK Winter 14/15.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I feel your pain, BB. Even though the 18Z screams potential, it's never over until the fat lady sings. Indeed, should we see the required degree of burification and energy ejection (in the desired places, of course) we might even end up with a 1968 scenario. The rest, as the say, was history...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I feel your pain, BB. Even though the 18Z screams potential, it's never over until the fat lady sings. Indeed, should we see the required degree of burification and energy ejection (in the desired places, of course) we might even end up with a 1968 scenario. The rest, as the say, was history...

Burifi..what? :-)

Been crazily busy over the last week or so, but my brief sojourns to the models shows a quite seasonal outlook with a chance of some proper wintry stuff next weekend. Chillymageddon. Miraculous considering how warm the year has been overall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

In the reliable time frame it's cold and wintry, any 'mild' is well into FI. Seems pretty desperate to me. Fergy also confirmed there would be no mild in the 10-15 days time frame :D

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately no lessons are being learnt and it's the silly season again.

There are some quality posts in the model thread but unfortunately they are too often lost in the mass of dross. Too often I see posts by mods, admin etc saying "Some posts have been removed, edited etc, model discussion only etc"

I'm not sure why it's bad on this site, I post on UKWW and TWO there are no issues. The proof is the fact that there is a moaning, ramping model thread to try and counter it.

Not sure how many people are put off trying to read or post in the model thread, I know I am. I seldom visit or post in it now.

The mods/admin must be fed up trying to supervise that thread.

• Like 9