Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Thanks spikecollie ,he's a joy ,though not tested in a storm yet !!! :)..

Like kids, it's how you approach the issue! Spike returned one evening (some folks don't like this, but no healthy bunnies get wasted and it's always been one on one with a very weighted chance in favour of the bunny) with 7 rabbits. I was waiting for the other half in Grassington car park for two hours (2006 I think it was) during a massive t-storm. No mobile signal and the two of them were hours late. Simon was sheltering behind stone walls, petrified of being struck, and Spike was just...chasing and catching rabbits. We had Ligurian rabbit stew for three days in a row - three were mixxy and four were healthy and good for the pot (I'm the skinner and gutter of mammals and fish)!

Like kids, it's how you approach the issue! Spike returned one evening (some folks don't like this, but no healthy bunnies get wasted and it's always been one on one with a very weighted chance in favour of the bunny) with 7 rabbits. I was waiting for the other half in Grassington car park for two hours (2006 I think it was) during a massive t-storm. No mobile signal and the two of them were hours late. Simon was sheltering behind stone walls, petrified of being struck, and Spike was just...chasing and catching rabbits. We had Ligurian rabbit stew for three days in a row - three were mixxy and four were healthy and good for the pot (I'm the skinner and gutter of mammals and fish)!

ha ha my dog wouldn't know what to do with a rabbit ,though believe it or not the cat catches them !!!.:).setting off now .. Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Crystal clear start to the day but some clouds are starting to bubble up now although it's still mainly sunny.

A nagging breeze though, enough to probably spoil what would otherwise have been a perfect day to be out and about but I'm off out for a brisk couple of hours walk before an afternoon working in the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Yesterday's time-lapse:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Cold, cloudy and very windy, just 13C.  Bloody hopeless for early June teatime.  Looks like the relentless cold with continue for the foreseen future looking at next week's forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Cold, cloudy and very windy, just 13C.  Bloody hopeless for early June teatime.  Looks like the relentless cold with continue for the foreseen future looking at next week's forecast.

I'd love to agree with you, but again I'm not allowed to post negative comments about the weather on here because of complaints from a certain Netweather member

So it's hit a brilliant 12c here, with a gusty wind and has been overcast for the last five or six hours. Love this weather!

Posted

Actually it's gone nice out there now. It's odd. Sunny VERY early morning, cloudy and windy for pretty much the bulk of the day then it brightens again late evening. Problem is, the temperatures nose dive especially with that wind and it's too cold to sit out and enjoy it. Anyone else finding that pattern

Posted

Actually it's gone nice out there now. It's odd. Sunny VERY early morning, cloudy and windy for pretty much the bulk of the day then it brightens again late evening. Problem is, the temperatures nose dive especially with that wind and it's too cold to sit out and enjoy it. Anyone else finding that pattern

It's the pattern I've noticed the past three or four "summers" - the Anomalous Northwesterly begins in June and lasts for the rest of the "summer" bringing a relentless flood of polar maritime air, resulting in sunny breakfast times before the grey lid of Sc slams down, which doesn't melt away until sunset when what little heat from the day radiates away overnight under clear skies.  Next day: rinse and repeat.

The only problem with 2015 is that the Anomalous Northwesterly arrived six weeks early in late April.  In this neck of the woods since 2010 summer has been two or three warm weeks in July before the AN reasserts itself.

Posted

It's the pattern I've noticed the past three or four "summers" - the Anomalous Northwesterly begins in June and lasts for the rest of the "summer" bringing a relentless flood of polar maritime air, resulting in sunny breakfast times before the grey lid of Sc slams down, which doesn't melt away until sunset when what little heat from the day radiates away overnight under clear skies.  Next day: rinse and repeat.

The only problem with 2015 is that the Anomalous Northwesterly arrived six weeks early in late April.  In this neck of the woods since 2010 summer has been two or three warm weeks in July before the AN reasserts itself.

Agreed. And the lack of any appreciable heat affects our storm chances too. Which have basically been nil for years!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

3 peaks done in just under 11 hours ,conditions were terrible ,70 mph gusts !!!

You did say that you may suffer with the wind.

Well done anyway, the three peaks is an achievement.

Posted

Oh dear another unusually windy day for the time of year, it was very gusty this morning making for rather unpleasant conditions, under grey leaden skies not very appealing. This afternoon delivered short downpours, it did clear somewhat this evening. A woeful day temp wise, max of 12 degrees, preety poor for June indicative of the cold uppers. No real warmth on the horizon though with much lighter winds and sunshine the next few days should feel summery.

Posted

It's the pattern I've noticed the past three or four "summers" - the Anomalous Northwesterly begins in June and lasts for the rest of the "summer" bringing a relentless flood of polar maritime air, resulting in sunny breakfast times before the grey lid of Sc slams down, which doesn't melt away until sunset when what little heat from the day radiates away overnight under clear skies. Next day: rinse and repeat.

I don't recall polar maritime air dominating Julys of 2013 and 2014 hence why they were warm months.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I'd love to agree with you, but again I'm not allowed to post negative comments about the weather on here because of complaints from a certain Netweather member

So it's hit a brilliant 12c here, with a gusty wind and has been overcast for the last five or six hours. Love this weather!

Just had to ask... is this for real? You not being able to post negative comments because someone complained???

Posted

Cloudy start to Sunday but the sun is starting to make an appearance now and with the nagging wind having largely dissapeared, to quote Elbow "it's looking like a beautiful day"

Looks like a toss up between out walking and gardening although if I get my way the latter can wait.

Went out yesterday and had a look at our latest tourist attraction, a burnt out wind turbine up the hill from here.

I thought that these were supposed to help reduce global warming but this must have given a fair bit of heat off at the time.

It's now got an exclusion zone around it and the entire wind farm is closed down until the cause is found.post-9027-0-87106100-1433662804_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Cloudy start to Sunday but the sun is starting to make an appearance now and with the nagging wind having largely dissapeared, to quote Elbow "it's looking like a beautiful day"

Looks like a toss up between out walking and gardening although if I get my way the latter can wait.

Went out yesterday and had a look at our latest tourist attraction, a burnt out wind turbine up the hill from here.

I thought that these were supposed to help reduce global warming but this must have given a fair bit of heat off at the time.

It's now got an exclusion zone around it and the entire wind farm is closed down until the cause is found.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

lol, one down another 3000 to go ,nice here after yesterdays disgusting wind ,also looking like June's a write off if you like heat ..roll on September when I escape :)..

Posted

lol, one down another 3000 to go ,nice here after yesterdays disgusting wind ,also looking like June's a write off if you like heat ..roll on September when I escape :)..

Four days left to work then a week of guaranteed heat coming up.

Can't wait.

Posted

Nice off to glasto in just over 2 weeks hoping for an improvement :)..

Never been but wouldn't mind a go at it although I'm a fair weather camper so move it a few hundred miles further south into mainland europe and conditions would probably suit me more these days.

Posted

I don't recall polar maritime air dominating Julys of 2013 and 2014 hence why they were warm months.

You omitted the relevant part of my post:

Posted

Looking at the appalling weather we've endured over the past six weeks, my (pessimistic) view is that the already cold UK climate has been ratcheted a couple of notches further down towards another Maunder Minimum (or at least another Dalton).  Wish I got out of the country thirty years ago when I had the chance. :(

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Looking at the appalling weather we've endured over the past six weeks, my (pessimistic) view is that the already cold UK climate has been ratcheted a couple of notches further down towards a Maunder Minimum.  Wish I got out of the country thirty years ago when I had the chance. :(

Stop moaning and look out of the window at the crystal clear blue skies. I live in Runcorn too and I'm sat sunbathing. Yes it's not hot but get over it. We have all summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Stop moaning and look out of the window at the crystal clear blue skies. I live in Runcorn too and I'm sat sunbathing. Yes it's not hot but get over it. We have all summer.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are entitled your own.  Difference is, I've endured a lot more British summers than you, more than three times as many than your  mere 21.  During my 1950/60s youth I was taught to respect the views of those older and wiser, unlike today it would seem.

"Crystal blue skies" - you need to see Specsavers.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1