Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 4th July and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yesterday had the lowest max of any August day since I moved here in 1999 at 14.9°C and today's not much better.  Bulk of the rain has gone through, but there's a stiff breeze out there now making it feel worse.

Talking of holidays, a family along the road from us came back early from their two week holiday in their caravan in Cornwall.  They're not namby-pamby folks with kids attached to electronic devices, they're both PE teachers and the children are out and about in all weathers from home.  Mum said it was more the problem of getting things dry when they'd been out in the rain, at least at home there is a tumble dryer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Rain has cleared to leave mainly low cloud with some sunshine here and now unexpectedly windy. Wind gusting up to 21 mph here.

Posted

Yesterday had the lowest max of any August day since I moved here in 1999 at 14.9°C and today's not much better.  Bulk of the rain has gone through, but there's a stiff breeze out there now making it feel worse.

Lyn you have encouraged me to check my records and it is the same case for me!

It was also the coolest day since May and seemed even moreso coming just 2 days after we hit 28c!

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Lyn you have encouraged me to check my records and it is the same case for me!

It was also the coolest day since May and seemed even moreso coming just 2 days after we hit 28c!

Here here! Yesterday was also the lowest highest since 2011 at 15.4°C here!

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Does anyone know if the wind storm tonight will be damaging? We're talking 40 - 50 mph gusts so I presume so.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Suddenly become wet and warm  here in good 'ol Wellington (after being a mite chilly this morning )  .Wind picking up with blustery showers...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Does anyone know if the wind storm tonight will be damaging? We're talking 40 - 50 mph gusts so I presume so.

Wind storm? I thought it was just a squally low. Anyway, I hope it won't be damaging. 

This about sums up today  :cold:  :angry:

• Like 1

Posted

Hefty shower passed here about half an hour ago, short burst of torrential rain. Pretty much constant heavy rain all day yesterday, and the front passed through in 2-3 hours earlier today... A thoroughly wet two days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Overnight low of 8.3c. It's now 16.3c, with cloudy skies. Earlier rain clearing away, 2.1mm

Posted

Wind storm? I thought it was just a squally low. Anyway, I hope it won't be damaging. 

This about sums up today  :cold:  :angry:

It looks that way, but squally gusts are pretty damaging! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from the METO

25 August 2015 - There are early signs much of the UK will see an improvement in weather over the bank holiday weekend and this will last through much of next week.

Whilst rain and showers are likely across much of the country on Saturday and at first on Sunday, there are signs of an improvement from the west as we go through Sunday and Monday.

The change in the weather is being driven by the jet stream which is slowly moving south east whilst weakening significantly. The presence of the strong jet across the UK at the beginning of the weekend brings unsettled weather to much of the UK, but the absence of it by late Monday allows high pressure and more settled weather to move in.

It looks like high pressure will approach the UK from the west over the weekend, bringing more in the way of drier, sunnier weather to many by Bank Holiday Monday, especially in the west.

There are then signs the high pressure will continue to dominate the UK's weather through much of next week, bringing a few days of sunshine for much of the country.

http://www.metoffice...ws_Pressrelease

Posted

Latest from the METO

25 August 2015 - There are early signs much of the UK will see an improvement in weather over the bank holiday weekend and this will last through much of next week.

Whilst rain and showers are likely across much of the country on Saturday and at first on Sunday, there are signs of an improvement from the west as we go through Sunday and Monday.

The change in the weather is being driven by the jet stream which is slowly moving south east whilst weakening significantly. The presence of the strong jet across the UK at the beginning of the weekend brings unsettled weather to much of the UK, but the absence of it by late Monday allows high pressure and more settled weather to move in.

It looks like high pressure will approach the UK from the west over the weekend, bringing more in the way of drier, sunnier weather to many by Bank Holiday Monday, especially in the west.

There are then signs the high pressure will continue to dominate the UK's weather through much of next week, bringing a few days of sunshine for much of the country.

http://www.metoffice...ws_Pressrelease

It will be interesting to see if this is a mostly cloudy high or if it will bring mainly sunny and very warm conditions to the UK.

Posted

Has been pretty grim for us so far, arriving in Seend, near Chippenham late on Saturday. It seems to have rained most of the daylight hours since.

Make the most of tomorrow midday until sunset after a wet morning! Hope you are enjoying it if you can and are visiting some of the beautiful parts of the area. If you want a great sunset view Westbury White Horse tomorrow around 7pm until 8.30pm should be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

It looks that way, but squally gusts are pretty damaging! :D

I suppose squally winds catch you unaware, compared to constant winds. Talking of wind, it has picked up a lot here in the last 20 mins.
  • Like 1

Posted

Reached the dizzy heights of 18.3°C since I posted last.  Hoping tomorrow morning's rain won't hang about beyond half nine.  I have serious shopping to do and not in an under cover place!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Its certainly damp out this morning, not cold though which is the only positive I can think of. A stiff SW wind and tampes around 15C

Posted

Wet and windy last night here. Rainfall Today: 5.0 mm High Wind Gust Today: 35 mph 03:54.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yesterday was on the way to being the coolest August day in many years here too but the late afternoon clearance with high dewpoints pushed the temperature up to 18C in the sunshine so no such luck (not that it's something I relish). The most significant difference was between Saturday (28C) and Monday (15.5C). Friday night's minimum was higher than Monday's maximum.

Rain has cleared here already with sunshine and a cool breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Precipitation this morning. 9.0mm . Humidity 99%rh. Cloudy but bright with even a glimpse of that sun.    16.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Quite pleasant here now with some scattered Cu. The 12 hour rainfall this morning was 21mm

Yeah NW radar animation amounts seemed to tally to between 28 and 38mm according to a quick peep at that. This largely falling along the North coast between Newquay and up to Bude. Camelford looked like it copped a large 12 hourly figure from what In could tell. Further rain to come too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I think a tropical storm must have just passed over Southampton - trees lashing about and torrential rain. Over 27mm of rain so far today - at one point the gauge was reading 35mm/h.  August has already seen over 20% of the annual total rainfall - wonder if it will reach 25% before the end of the month?!

The strongest gust was 37.5mph. Hopefully the squall line is passing away east now.

Thank goodness we didn't choose this week to go camping :D

Edited by katemart
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It looks like quite a vicious squall passing through in the past few minutes over parts of East Hants and up into East Berks right now, will be interesting to hear of any reports especially nearer the coast.