Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
16 minutes ago, mike57 said:

I actually spent the first 23 years of my life in London before moving away in 1980. I prepared the following chart to illustate another point, but I have changed the threshold to 30C, and it shows a cluster of years where the highest UK temperature never exceeded 30C. There were a number of cool years starting in 1958, with 10 sub 30C years from 1958 to 1981. Even the summer of 1976 doesn't stand out when compared against the post 2000 years.

image.thumb.png.7313a6c4044d93ce851b613f1fdf8762.png

Yes Mike the general trend is upwards for sure.

Pretty amazing to see 40c in parts of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire recently - now that is pretty shocking !

25c is a comfortable figure at the moment for a good part of England but in a poor summer it might be closer to 20 or 21.

• Like 1

Posted

It's hit 26.3c in Bridlington so it's in the top 5 hottest days of 2022 here today.

Absolutely spiffing 🍻🍻

• Like 2

Posted

A nondescript day - cloudy and muggy until this evening, but the forecast rain seems to have stayed the other side of the Pennines and in the N Lakes where 100mm of rain is reported to have fallen. A lovely evening and sunset and still warm enough to sit on the balcony.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
27 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A nondescript day - cloudy and muggy until this evening, but the forecast rain seems to have stayed the other side of the Pennines and in the N Lakes where 100mm of rain is reported to have fallen. A lovely evening and sunset and still warm enough to sit on the balcony.

We had a bit of sunshine further down the coast mid afternoon albeit brief, before the cloud rolled in, very warm & humid this aft and that has carried on into the evening!

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely spiffing 24 to 48 hours in Bridlington and the warmest period I can remember.

Night time temperatures have stayed up around 18 to 20c and daytime has been close to 26c.

The summer of 2022 just keeps on giving and giving.

Some rather cool nights to come over the next 3 or 4 days though so enjoy that warmth ladies and gents !

It should be like this every day of the year , then no need for heating and washing dries rapidly out on the line.

Costa del Bridlington oh yessss 🌞🌞🌞

• Like 1

Posted

26.3c in Costa Del Bridlington matching the same figure as yesterday.

Long may it continue 🍹🍹🍹

• Like 2

Posted

I

1 hour ago, matt brid said:

26.3c in Costa Del Bridlington matching the same figure as yesterday.

Long may it continue 🍹🍹🍹

I'm hiding in the heat haters thread...

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, mike57 said:

I

I'm hiding in the heat haters thread...

I wondered where you had gone 😅

Posted
32 minutes ago, matt brid said:

I wondered where you had gone 😅

This is just about as warm as i like it, especially being at work, i find 30+ uncomfortable, at least we get a nice breeze on the East Coast! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

A lovely day all round on the wolds. Didn’t check the temperature gauge during the day, sorry, but yes it was hot. Still 20.5c this evening sitting out in the garden. You would normally call this the height of summer but despite the warmth (I know we’re back down to average temps in coming days) there are other signs sadly showing the change in season. Most of the swifts have gone in the last couple of days, only a small handful left ☹️ & they look to be practicing their flight skills before setting off soon. The Big Butterfly Count is on but what should I count? Hardly any butterflies this season. Just from observations in my garden, there have been significantly low numbers of insects this year - bees are really low, I haven’t seen a single ladybird, even the dreaded harvest bugs were only here a few days and then gone. Finches had disease this year and I lost all of my greenfinch population😢. All in all a poor year for wildlife in my garden (& believe me my garden is very wild!). The ants are around & flies, but nothing in any great abundance like previous years. Do you think it’s just been the heat/dryness?? 

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Do you think it’s just been the heat/dryness

I've noticed less wildlife generally this year, I put it down to dryness rather than heat, remember there is no open water on the Wolds apart from man made ponds, and the Gypsy Race when it's been wet. I think this is the limiting factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A beautiful day in Brid with plenty of sunshine and some patchy fair weather clouds . The difference being the big reduction in humidity . A true summer's day here for sure and pleasantly warm (but equally burning in direct sun).

Very happy with this and would take this any day of the year .

Pleasantly cool for sleeping also - days getting shorter so the little bit of extra darkness makes for a better night's sleep.

Have a great day people 💪🤠

• Like 3

Posted

Yes more pleasant today, temperatures/humidity is even within my comfort zone (which extends downwards to temperatures which a lot of people would describe as cold enough to permanently injure a brass monkey...). Lunch time bike ride yet again produced wind, Force 4 - 6 SW to W. I would be interested to know if there is any windspeed/direction data available, it seems to be have been far more windy this summer than normal, but I don’t have any data to back that.

Looks like no rain in the forecast, so far we have had just enough rain to keep the grass from withering and turning brown, unlike the 1976 drought, but the month on month deficit this year is significant. I remember the summer of 1976, I spent a lot of my spare time in N Yorkshire although I lived in London, and decided to go away for a week walking in Wales with some friends the first week of September, and the heavens opened, most of the walking was from pub to digs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

A much warmer day than I expected. A strong breeze to start the day on the hill tops then pretty much sun all day with light passing clouds. Warranted almost beach wear whilst doing the housework 🤣🤣 (have guests this weekend or I wouldn’t have bothered🤫) & then a snooze in the sun at 5pm, still warm enough to top up the rapidly fading tan!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
22 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

A lovely day all round on the wolds. Didn’t check the temperature gauge during the day, sorry, but yes it was hot. Still 20.5c this evening sitting out in the garden. You would normally call this the height of summer but despite the warmth (I know we’re back down to average temps in coming days) there are other signs sadly showing the change in season. Most of the swifts have gone in the last couple of days, only a small handful left ☹️ & they look to be practicing their flight skills before setting off soon. The Big Butterfly Count is on but what should I count? Hardly any butterflies this season. Just from observations in my garden, there have been significantly low numbers of insects this year - bees are really low, I haven’t seen a single ladybird, even the dreaded harvest bugs were only here a few days and then gone. Finches had disease this year and I lost all of my greenfinch population😢. All in all a poor year for wildlife in my garden (& believe me my garden is very wild!). The ants are around & flies, but nothing in any great abundance like previous years. Do you think it’s just been the heat/dryness?? 

Plenty of wasps and flies here and a few butterflies but less than usual, but a few different kinds of ladybirds 

• Like 1

Posted

Breaking News :

A scattering of showers are breaking out across Yorkshire now , along with a chilly north westerly wind.

Batten down the hatches everyone and stay safe - temperatures are also below 20c 🥶🤢🤧

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, got quite wet under a heavy downpour on my afternoon dog walk.
I am not complaining !

🙂

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

Yes, got quite wet under a heavy downpour on my afternoon dog walk.
I am not complaining !

🙂

Same here, we had gone into Brid to pick a Chinese takeaway up, and it was dry, got home and there had been a heavy shower. Had another shower about half hour later.

Much cooler today🙂 Also wind has dropped. Lunchtime bike ride was sunny but cool

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mike57 said:

Same here, we had gone into Brid to pick a Chinese takeaway up, and it was dry, got home and there had been a heavy shower. Had another shower about half hour later.

Much cooler today🙂 Also wind has dropped. Lunchtime bike ride was sunny but cool

Had a couple of steady showers between 17.30 and 19.00, gave the garden a good drink, it does looks like a warm up next week, hopefully a sea breeze will keep temps tolerable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Fresh start to Saturday with a low of 7.2c here overnight.

Some spots locally in North Yorkshire down to 2/3c so certainly a noticeable chill for early August.

Cloudy start but the cloud is starting to break and its warming up nicely, 15.5c.

2DAAF5C6-2D10-4834-85F8-846FB9FD6C09.thumb.jpeg.3a200656ab29f8912bbc49bf65eb5130.jpeg

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted

Good morning and happy weekend everyone. Some splendid weather once again after a cool night. Looks like the east coast may escape the heatwave later next week with an easterly or south easterly wind direction.

Will be mighty hot inland once again - perhaps 30 in Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire .

Premier League season started last night so let the battle commence properly today 💪

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Will this be the first dry day since July 19th? Anyway I'm suspecting we will break the August heat record next week.  The target being 31.6C.

Posted

Lovely morning on the Yorkshire Wolds, hazy sunshine and a nice breeze, can hear the buzz of combines and tractors in the distance, off to Sledmere classic car show for the day, perfect conditions!😎🌞 

• Like 4