Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Less people know that GFS after (imho) 240 has less data input in it's calculation and accuarcy drops dramaticly. So it often goes to return for "normal patterns", which for our region is west (at it's best) Hard to explain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

In my eyes the general trend is looking good at present, there is plenty of scope for Atlantic ridging coupled with further warnings up above. At this juncture all we can look at is trends and IMO it is 60/40 cold and hopefully the ECM can build on that.....let's not run before we can walk whether you are a cold or warm lover!

Edited by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Less people know that GFS after (imho) 240 has less data input in it's calculation and accuarcy drops dramaticly. So it often goes to return for "normal patterns", which for our region is west (at it's best) Hard to explain...

But I've always believed that models run according to their initial data-input... How can that disappear after 240 hours?

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But I've always believed that models run according to their initial data-input... How can that disappear after 240 hours?

Yep, it doesn't. The resolution does drop from 0.5 degrees to 1 degree after 192 hours though. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
Just now, General Cluster said:

I am not sure, I can be something different. I read about it some time (years) ago. Can also be the density of data after that timemark. But I know that there is something after +240h in the GFS modelling. I will search for it and PN you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The GEFS 240 mean remains steady and looks loaded.

image.thumb.png.377e4f341a3ed994fa37a6cbd792776e.png

A warm up of sorts seems to be being watered down

image.thumb.png.93dd79b125fa20c1f3334d1d5d187f98.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, snowking said:

Yeah if anyone is looking for the exact synoptic pattern 10 days out you’re going to be disappointed.

Keep on following the overall longwave themes:

Heights rising to our NW

Asian vortex segment retrogressing into Scandinavia (and beyond....)

Big artic high (which is always poorly modelled beyond a few days)

Continued warming episodes in the stratosphere

For as long as the models continue to show these themes, we should all be happy. That’s as much as we can ask for right now.

And maybe a nationwide snow event....

• Like 2

Hello all, evening! 
it’s my opinion that the GFS has now developed some kind of ‘westerly bias.’ It seems confused with the possibility of extreme cold coming in from the east. I am sure in the coming days, this will correct, but it’s still wrong even 6 hours our. 

for example tonight it predicts as cold as -1 here in Brighton for midnight. It’s already -1 at 5pm and will probably go as low as -3 or -4. 

Exciting times ahead. Take any models with a punch of salt right now. Extreme cold may still happen next week.

73595F7F-4848-440D-8952-5475C7A40689.thumb.jpeg.55df9d7fd973b8d9d5da37e50a40b43d.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I'm not, for one minute, suggesting that SE France will enjoy 15C Uppers, in January... But, what intrigues me, is that there must be sufficient data for a state-of-the-art NWP to suggest that it might... Hey, ho, model-watching at its best?:drunk-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And what are they say 8 days earlier Pete? Wild swings of the jetstream and extremes make it all possible.

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yep, it doesn't. The resolution does drop from 0.5 degrees to 1 degree after 192 hours though. 

I understood that the FV3 GFS retained the higher resolution throughout the run to T384.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

GFS doesn't have a scooby what is going to happen after 12th:

gfs-pontypool-gb-515n-3w.jpeg

Edited by Notty
  • Like 4

Posted

Those ensembles are all over the shop. All options are on the table. Pick a long range forecast out of that

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

PV Under pressure again

image.thumb.png.520698b3db69505ae7f160148e14ddbc.png

image.thumb.png.a9d0fd738f75941c58f1b5240021091d.png

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Notty said:

GFS doesn't have a scooby what is going to happen after 12th:

gfs-pontypool-gb-515n-3w.jpeg

That's a shame seeing the op as a clear outliner.  Was expecting more support..

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

I think the Control gets the award tonight for the best run so far!  228, 252 and 276

image.thumb.png.7453230beb6fc741a1c15b29dbd1ecf1.pngimage.thumb.png.679b6f764d06a42de3b67ab60a511458.pngimage.thumb.png.01ff09fdd1fc87fa4875555eeb68362f.png  

Absolutely stunning

Trouble is that they flatter to deceive. The temperature profile that sits behind them is more reminiscent of what we have just had. If I was any good at posting images I'd post each chart with the 850 profile alongside to illustrate as for lurkers it would really help to explain. Looking through the GEFS tonight there are still a few genuinely cold charts but they are mostly out beyond 10 days and there is nothing convincing. These northerlies always look dramatic on the 500 charts but the reality rarely matches! Get a proper easterly and its a different ball game, but I'm not seeing much evidence of that at present.

For me, we are not in a 'bad' place but equally if a big deep freeze is coming its not really showing its hand yet. The danger is that we look at everything through the lens of a background SSW and don't see what is in front of us. Based on tonight's output (not withstanding the usual ECM day 10 northerly later) I'd imagine Sidney would be happily munching through his winter stores right now but perhaps just holding a little in reserve in case of a sneaky beast turning up 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

That's a shame seeing the op as a clear outliner.  Was expecting more support..

Don’t worry. I’m pretty sure all of GFS is wrong and it will get a lot colder than it’s currently showing 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

We are at the 9th January. Anyone trying to put detail on something that might be happening around the 20th whether that be snowfall detail or a west or east based nao, is deluded, Whether you are an avid cold and snow fan ( like me) or one of the usual  misanthropes who don't believe any cold synoptic unless there's five feet drifts in their garden.

We all need to take Snowking's advice and just follow the patterns which at the moment look promising.

Nothing even semi reliable for the 20th onwards will appear until the the 15th so let's just enjoy the run in to what MIGHT be an jnteresting period of winter weather from a coldies point of view.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
57 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I'm not sharing the excitement with others - what am I missing?

I'm looking for a long lasting cold spell, but GFS seems keen on a good northerly followed by a west based -ve NAO then Atlantic domination. 

Atlantic domination? Have I missed something? Like the Atlantic being all fired up? Last time I checked it was pretty much dead. The models are erring more towards a cold solution over the past few days...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
36 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I'm not, for one minute, suggesting that SE France will enjoy 15C Uppers, in January... But, what intrigues me, is that there must be sufficient data for a state-of-the-art NWP to suggest that it might... Hey, ho, model-watching at its best?:drunk-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Come on Ed, absolute ridiculous FI, GFS 12Z is decent, keeps hopes alive of northerly/cold around 18th, even that's too far in FI

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1