Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
8 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Glad you got back ok closed snake pass again earlier but woodhead is open I believe 

Thanks. Roads were white in a few places and on a descending bend, i had to get into low gear and not touch the brakes.

Just looked at google maps and the Snake appears to be shut until Dec 7th !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

On holiday now until 13th December but thanks to tightening up on overseas travel, our anticipated last minute week in the Canaries is now very much not happening so the big question is.

a few days away in good old Blighty whether city break and Christmas markets or chilling in a cottage somewhere 

or spend the week at home.

I must admit I’d have preferred a week with the sun on my back over the damp crap currently doing the rounds here but I’m not a gambler and weren’t willing to sacrifice a week abroad against potentially spending my big 60 self isolating.

as for the weather, apparently a bit of snow overnight but you wouldn’t think so looking outside, just grey skies although signs of something brighter to the west.

time for a walk

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Potential snow events Tuesday evening and Friday morning on GFS 6Z. Loads more if you’re above 200 m.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Potential snow events Tuesday evening and Friday morning on GFS 6Z. Loads more if you’re above 200 m.

And this Monday morning. WRF will be in range tonight.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
On 03/12/2021 at 10:51, Chris.R said:

Yes - the 06z really  has come up with the goods (for now!) Greeny - Iceland incursion looking good.

Temps from the NW not favourable for Coast and Sea Level (us) but anything inland at 800ft looking promising  - all this at T+75 - what can possibly go wrong?

h500slp.thumb.webp.a2312ea7d0209587e4c16f482990835c.webpprectypeuktopo.thumb.webp.b182f2043f29ee5cf21632617a64b4cb.webpuksnowrisk.thumb.webp.701f65a150e1b6b4a60f0ffc9bd632e3.webp

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
On 03/12/2021 at 11:53, Chris.R said:

And this Monday morning. WRF will be in range tonight.

Winter tyres swap on Saturday so will be ready for my work trips to Glossop and my ‘hopefully’ trip to Poland in February

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wednesday 8 Dec - Friday 17 Dec

A largely unsettled start to the period, with showers likely for most and a chance of snow across northern Scotland. Showers, as well as some longer spells of rain continuing into Wednesday with blustery winds, particularly over high ground. These unsettled conditions are likely to continue for the rest of the period with longer spells of rain affecting most of the country, with the potential to turn heavy in southern areas. Following these periods of rain, showery conditions are likely, with a chance of snow even at lower elevations. Feeling cold in the north, with the potential to spread further south at times. Towards the end of the period, more settled conditions likely with mild temperatures, but the chance of some cold interludes bringing a risk of frost.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Fri 3 Dec 2021

SNOW to low levels ?!?! Confused

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Wednesday 8 Dec - Friday 17 Dec

A largely unsettled start to the period, with showers likely for most and a chance of snow across northern Scotland. Showers, as well as some longer spells of rain continuing into Wednesday with blustery winds, particularly over high ground. These unsettled conditions are likely to continue for the rest of the period with longer spells of rain affecting most of the country, with the potential to turn heavy in southern areas. Following these periods of rain, showery conditions are likely, with a chance of snow even at lower elevations. Feeling cold in the north, with the potential to spread further south at times. Towards the end of the period, more settled conditions likely with mild temperatures, but the chance of some cold interludes bringing a risk of frost.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Fri 3 Dec 2021

SNOW to low levels ?!?! Confused

When METO don't go pass the weekend because of the uncertainty the above should be taken with a huge pinch of salt from the above though sounds very much like what we have just had temperatures up and down day to day and when cold enough snow to possibly fall to low levels as just the last few days have.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Will wait for a few more model runs yet but the balance might be falling more towards a generally cold, unsettled with wintry potential pattern as we head throughout the rest of December. The latest MO update indicating low level snowfall chances reflects this. Just like last weekend the NW can do very well in these types of scenarios ❄️

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 4

Posted

GFS 12 Z showing very heavy snow to rain Friday morning now. More favourable. Tuesday still not good enough for below 200 m but trend is going the right way. WRF out soon for Monday.

• Like 6

Posted

Well well well… WRF now out to 12 pm Monday… Shows 5 hours of heavy snow right to the coast and only by 12 pm it’s a mix of ice pellets and rain at the very coast but still all snow east of 3° W. Interesting to see how the afternoon would play out. That looks so excellent though.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Oh 12z

h500slp.thumb.webp.f00a6308c756431abc483231a3ac824b.webph500slphjhjhjhjhjhuj.thumb.webp.5491b4a7b73b9a12c8a841dadc8f3398.webp

prectypeuktopo.thumb.webp.de0eb09108a80a52236f83aa0cd2ec58.webpprectypeukthjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjopo.thumb.webp.2a5829a6e07fdd3ea4444bc2562bfada.webp

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Glossop mountain rescue on a Glossop Facebook put an update for Monday online… snow day Monday? 

62CA7F3F-630A-4F41-8DB0-27874C2B9857.jpeg

That sounds ominous. My wife won't be happy as she is expected to do her community nursing job com he'll or high water (snow).

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

That sounds ominous. My wife won't be happy as she is expected to do her community nursing job com he'll or high water (snow).

Oh jeez…. Might not happen looks marginal… have to keep an eye on it… 

ive had one of my best friends in Kent who is a nurse, after a Night Shift do some Christmas shopping online half asleep… she’s ordered like 8-10 presents but put on my address… went to glossop post office today to pick up parcel 4… a yoga/therapy mat… was walking around town earlier

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Oh jeez…. Might not happen looks marginal… have to keep an eye on it… 

ive had one of my best friends in Kent who is a nurse, after a Night Shift do some Christmas shopping online half asleep… she’s ordered like 8-10 presents but put on my address… went to glossop post office today to pick up parcel 4… a yoga/therapy mat… was walking around town earlier

That mat might make a great sledge !!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

If marginal for Will! no hope for everyone else

He's using reverse psychology.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Believe it when I see it!

overview_20211203_12_069.thumb.jpg.23b05143c6c17f24197166642efa737b.jpg

The likelihood has increased somewhat compared with the Atlantic steam roller that was shown not so long ago. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

The Weather Outlook keeps flipping between rain, light & heavy snow on Monday. It'll be interesting to see what happens

• Like 2

Posted

What I do know for sure is that two days ago GFS was showing 7.4°C T850 for Tuesday midnight, now it is showing -4.1°C. Lower on every run.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes please 

10 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yes please that’ll be lovely but don’t know… it’s snow to rain again… last nights front was dying a death as it was making inroads….  could be marginal… positive hat on could be good  

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

If marginal for Will! no hope for everyone else

Just looked at parameters… looks better… might be more evaporative cooling event if stays the same… will get better view next few days…  

• Like 3