Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?

Posted

Just a reminder of their own definition of a Red warning:

Red warning

Dangerous weather is expected and, if you have not done so already, you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the severe weather.

It is very likely that there will be a risk to life, with substantial disruption to travel, energy supplies and possibly widespread damage to property and infrastructure.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

When was the last red warning for wind?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Boxing day sprouts leftovers, 2017

• Like 4

Posted

Add this to storm Arwen  gonna be an eventful day tomorrow in some places luckily sposed to hit the S Hemisphere

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1527368/solar-storm-warning-radio-gps-issues-space-weather-earth-impact-predicted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

This Saturday 7 separate warnings will be in effect - I want to say that is close to a record for the number of warnings active on one day? 

4FDD56B6-1409-46F8-AEED-E106903796B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Yes a major city with a population of 300,000 and wider area spanning well over a million people and nothing from the large broadcasters. Not many people will have the metoffice app so news articles are the best awareness. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Add this to storm Arwen  gonna be an eventful day tomorrow in some places luckily sposed to hit the S Hemisphere

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1527368/solar-storm-warning-radio-gps-issues-space-weather-earth-impact-predicted

Hmmm, I was supposed to be travelling down on the train tomorrow to see the Eagles in action after an absence of two years. I think I may need to give it a miss!

• Like 1

Posted
On 26/11/2021 at 10:41, Biggin said:

If it's in the Express, it can most likley be completely disregarded. I won't even dignify that rag with a click

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Not looking good for the A1 this evening Lothian, Borders and NE England , nor A90, A96 Grampian from this afternoon onwards. 

Numerous wind and snow warnings added this morning. This is the usual time for the main updates. Better update the Front Page

snowGifford2a.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A wild end to the working week as Storm Arwen batters NE Britain this evening and overnight. Cold northerly winds across the UK by Saturday and even some snow.

1126redMOwarns.png

• Like 3

Posted

only upto  8cm on the higher mountains in Scotland according to the MET? but mwis say this for the highest mountains Snow, intermittently heavy giving whiteout. Sometimes hail and risk thunder. Least precipitation S Cairngorms NP to Ben Alder, where little snow morning. Widespread very heavy snowfall to lowest slopes developing toward and after sunset from the north. Extreme falls northern areas in particular.

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
3 hours ago, P-M said:

Morning MWB,

How far inland would you say the strong winds will get? Are we looking at mainly those right on the coast or some a few miles inland? I'm just thinking populated cities like Newcastle and Sunderland for the NE etc and the likes of Edinburgh.

Looking at those charts I'd take a bet that those winds upto 80mph+ will have an impact a little way inland too. 

Hi P-M, this is tricky to say, models disagree a lot about the inland extent of gusts, and it's hard to match experiences of storms here on the south coast with modelling because official met office stations tend to be right on the coast or considerably inland.

My guess would be anywhere within 10 miles of the coast in the Borders, Northumberland, Teeside and Durham county without reasonable shelter will experience at least 70mph and within 5 miles 80mph or more, up to 85-90mph in a few spots right on the coast. Strongest winds could penetrate further inland, maybe even all the way to the Lakes, but don't know. Small chance the storm will start to subside once it gets south of Newcastle, and will be slightly less strong for Sunderland/ Hartlepool etc.

And not forgetting 80mph potential for North Wales

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms

I think there are some fair comments here. If this was London, we'd know all about it - and rightly so. But this the UK - this is a major weather event. Not good coverage at all.

• Like 4

Posted
On 26/11/2021 at 11:35, The Real Snowman said:

I think there are some fair comments here. If this was London, we'd know all about it - and rightly so. But this the UK - this is a major weather event. Not good coverage at all.

This is levelling up at its finest, the North gets levelled.

• Like 3

Posted
On 26/11/2021 at 11:39, stripeyfox said:

London and SE "weather apolcolypse incoming"

Northerners "might need your big coat"

Newcastle lads might need a t shirt...

• Like 5

Posted
47 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Hmmm, I was supposed to be travelling down on the train tomorrow to see the Eagles in action after an absence of two years. I think I may need to give it a miss!

Mighty Eagles supporter here too.

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

If it's in the Express, it can most likley be completely disregarded. I won't even dignify that rag with a click

Your choice of course.

Posted
16 minutes ago, The Real Snowman said:

We'll know all about it if a few cars get hit by trees this evening and deaths go into double figures. Pleased to see the red warning, the met office are handling this well, but yes, this should be top headline, there's a million people in the way of this.

• Like 4