Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Apart from 10 minutes of unregisterable drizzle on Wednesday, no rain again.

Cheshire Gap day, so don't expect rain there!, here though only 1 shower with an active Cheshire Gap earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A very pleasant day today. Lots of sunshine and nicely warm, but not too hot - max 22.7 °C. The next week looks like we'll be heading up towards 30 again, and really that's too hot for me now. I'm not ready for autumn yet, but I am done with weather that's exhausting to do anything in. Plus a week of dry, hot weather is not going to do the gardens or fields any favours. Things aren't as drought-stricken here as in the SE, admittedly, but rain is quite badly needed even here now. No sign of it in the short term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

The ISS (Space Station) is going to pass the UK shortly, with near to no clouds this could be impressive on the downward facing camera.

I dont know if this works on mobile phones etc but i strongly suggest lamping up the quality on the cam feed.

(Also good to watch storms overhead in darkness, FYI many dead pixels on cam in the earth shadow)

Track:

WWW.ASTROVIEWER.NET

The current position of the ISS and its ground track.

Camera:

17074538,640x360,b:3.jpg
VIDEO.IBM.COM

Currently, live views from the ISS are streaming from an external camera mounted on the ISS module called Node 2. Node 2 is located on the forward part of the ISS. The camera is looking forward at an angle so...

• Like 1

Posted

So close, the next pass may be higher i dont know.

A380 in bound to London right now Look up!

GLOBE.ADSBEXCHANGE.COM

ADS-B Exchange - tracking aircraft using tar1090

Posted

A380 went close.

Downgraded from a 3.6m image

IMG_2000 (2).jpg

Posted

There was rain in the forecast for Monday (14th) but it seems to be disappearing..

It's gorgeous out there and set fair for the week (some models longer than that)
I get the need for rain and ideally we could have a couple of overnights where it pours down, but it's only August 9th. I'm well up for a few more weeks summer (especially as there's no abroad trips planned)
When we are all paying those robbing energy companies in November we will remember these days with envy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

The start of the Amber extreme heat warning 🥵 comes into force today for the next four days 

It’s very rare that these up and coming four days will hit the mid 30’s in a row.

It’s been mentioned the last time this happened was back in 1976 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

The start of the Amber extreme heat warning 🥵 comes into force today for the next four days 

It’s very rare that these up and coming four days will hit the mid 30’s in a row.

It’s been mentioned the last time this happened was back in 1976 

I was tring to explain this to some over 60s fokk at work, but they will not have it.

"ha! ....  1976 it was hot from the first week of may until the last day of september" another one said " so what if it's going to be 33'c plus for the next 4 days, in 1976 it was over 30'c every day for 3 months!!".

I sometimes wonder how many times I have to prove people wrong before they'll accept it, but it's been 8 years in my current job and I'm still waiting....

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I was tring to explain this to some over 60s fokk at work, but they will not have it.

"ha! ....  1976 it was hot from the first week of may until the last day of september" another one said " so what if it's going to be 33'c plus for the next 4 days, in 1976 it was over 30'c every day for 3 months!!".

I sometimes wonder how many times I have to prove people wrong before they'll accept it, but it's been 8 years in my current job and I'm still waiting....

Agreed, in 1976 for 3 months 30’s was registered, but that wasn’t the same places every day, it was somewhere in the uk that hit 30c + and temps did hit the mid thirties back then, but these forthcoming four days will see mid thirties four days in a row again and the last time this happened was in 1976.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Agreed, in 1976 for 3 months 30’s was registered, but that wasn’t the same places every day, it was somewhere in the uk that hit 30c + and temps did hit the mid thirties back then, but these forthcoming four days will see mid thirties four days in a row again and the last time this happened was in 1976.

Yes, 1976 was the gold standard. I really don't remember the heat, I was a teenager and quickly became acclimatised. What I do remember is the weeks on end of glorious sunshine, I'm sure there was the odd cloudy day, but time has removed them from the memory.

I get a bit annoyed when people compare this summer to 1976. Apart from this week, it may have been hot at times, but there have been lengthy spells of cool, cloudy and sometimes wet weather- at least here.

A decent summer  but no 1976 for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

This has been showing for a couple days now on the 10 day forecast, but today is the most active its shown so far. The UKV is showing some pretty organised storms and other models are showing similar with some decent instability from Monday. Obviously still a few days out but its looking good as the storm theme continues.

image.thumb.png.f5626f0ee76afc4c042a24ebf058ba1e.png

image.thumb.png.ed23f45826d429008c19b8ff8f3c28ab.png

image.thumb.png.06edb1caf211640faa2104b037ff5e69.png

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

This has been showing for a couple days now on the 10 day forecast, but today is the most active its shown so far. The UKV is showing some pretty organised storms and other models are showing similar with some decent instability from Monday. Obviously still a few days out but its looking good as the storm theme continues.

image.thumb.png.f5626f0ee76afc4c042a24ebf058ba1e.png

image.thumb.png.ed23f45826d429008c19b8ff8f3c28ab.png

image.thumb.png.06edb1caf211640faa2104b037ff5e69.png

Storms 👌 We could certainly do with them, putting them 4 to 5 day rain totals together, forget the dried grass we have atm, by Friday it’ll look more like the Savanna out there 🤣

• Like 1

Posted

I’d certainly have a bit of this come next Monday ⚡⚡⚡

Until then it’s ☀️🔥🌞🥵

F217EF38-5724-42B2-A238-16733512BD79.thumb.png.2016928d8c00ccda72f8d508558bfd6b.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

I’d certainly have a bit of this come next Monday ⚡⚡⚡

Until then it’s ☀️🔥🌞🥵

F217EF38-5724-42B2-A238-16733512BD79.thumb.png.2016928d8c00ccda72f8d508558bfd6b.png

GFS been disagreeing keeping us in filthy 31 degrees and sunny all day Monday, breakdown comes on Tues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I’d be surprised if it does get hot like that on Monday,

4EFBACDF-F68E-434B-9913-8D8288340ED7.thumb.png.12be8f61a27a59d707128ad24e042a4a.png

…when you’d think the low surface pressure directly over us, plus the somewhat lower heights, would trigger some storms and cool things down (although I suppose it would be hit ‘n’ miss showers/storms with some places staying dry):

E6CDC3AD-D75A-410D-AF06-81404A03FC31.thumb.png.b73503c53ac57493da0c02bc6de94c36.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS been disagreeing keeping us in filthy 31 degrees and sunny all day Monday, breakdown comes on Tues

I’m thinking on your line, more Tuesday for me 👍🤞⚡

• Like 1

Posted

Anyway whether it’s Monday or Tuesday ?  it’s about time we endure a decent break down ⚡👌⚡👌⚡️And my back garden gets a drink 🤗

• Like 3

Posted

Just a quick goodbye  having spent all my life here I'm moving to London next week ( job brought forward)  so officially  I will no longer be a midlander  ill pop in from time to time  and hopefully as usual many of you will see the White stuff this winter    cheers all its been a blast

Mark 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
33 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Just a quick goodbye  having spent all my life here I'm moving to London next week ( job brought forward)  so officially  I will no longer be a midlander  ill pop in from time to time  and hopefully as usual many of you will see the White stuff this winter    cheers all its been a blast

Mark 

A bit strange, especially from you, this is a weather forum, the weather concerns all of us. I post on most regional, as I look at the UK weather as well as the world, and dont feel I should have to join a regional group to post something relevant or notable.

Posted
54 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Mark 

We are all weather, we are all one....take care because we care x

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely moonrise here tonight, all windows and curtains shut again during the day and everything open during the night makes a big difference in temps In the house. Roll on Autumn and winter.. 

IMG_20220811_213936.thumb.jpg.8b488a703194c93dec32ad97cbcd3097.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday's max' of 29.7c was the 5th highest in August since my records began in 1963.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Stunning supermoon last night, also some models have amped up the thunderstorm risk from Sunday evening to early hours of Wednesday, probably why the Met has issued a thunderstorm warning.

image.thumb.png.b9753f924459e3946e8ea026693b7856.png

image.thumb.png.83a0965feb3d1826bad979d493da588a.png

• Like 2

Posted

another fab hot sunny day here, solar panels are just unreal at moment, off the scale.

booked a day of work, and been enjoying some downtime, I mean I have  been sat in the garden doing nothing !, thought I would be ok in the shade of a parasol but even in the shade

after 15 mins I have popped back inside for a cool down, haha. Even swopped my favourite stout ale for an ice cold Estrella !!!

its been a great summers week, and we have a few more days of it to go.

enyoy it if you love the heat, Im sure we will have plenty of fun chasing the winter weather in a few months but for now, its great. Not even to bothered about temps, after a few weeks ago and the unreal 40c stuff, this is just pure enjoyment for me, although I suspect football tomorrow will be challenging, and I'm just a spectator.

Hope all Midlanders have a fab weekend

• Like 1