Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I might be repeating somthing discussed already,just popping in quickly!

It was a little frustrating to see the right 'dynamics' on offer last night from Portsmouth Westward, some good activity making landfall there but points East of this ( including the French side) We had a weakening of any cells mid channel on their approach.

It had looked more promising earlier in the day as a couple of heavy showers intensified over the Sussex coast.

I did witness spectacular lightning and distant thunder from the mid channel cell between Brighton and IOW.

Noted a member saying the cloud tops were 38.000 feet on that one and it seemed to have some suoercell characteristics,the lightning being fired was incredible and as I said last night that coupled with the full moon shining made for some beautiful scenes.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Starting to turn really quite warm in the sun now… Really muggy as well.

This is my view to my south. ????

217F1F86-0D13-467D-98E1-CE13EB1AAF0D.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Mizzle said:

And one more from me, the best capture of the night!!

Wow just amazing...so beautifull..nature eh....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@bensainsbury

I did see some more lightning closer to the coast last night from Bognor Regis. I then chased storms northwards towards Guildford. Overall I would say not a lot of lightning but some were quite spectacular. Especially the crawlers out to sea. Cheers for your advice last night.

Onto today. Back home in Belper, not had a lot of sleep but looks possible for something this afternoon. My thoughts are I need to be a bit north of here (maybe Sheffield northwards). Met Office forecasting thunderstorms all afternoon here, which seems a bit OTT. Some interesting forecasts out for this afternoon though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Looks like something is starting to kick off over the Cheltenham/Gloucester area.

Plus the remains of the Norfolk storm now slowly heading out into the North Sea. 

70E75DC5-AD5F-4FC1-A1B3-9EAED3D172E5.png

9923A191-5D62-463C-979E-A822A44F69D4.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Trying to get this  boat in the shed before the line of storms reaches Daventry...

20220516_132810.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Supacell said:

@bensainsbury

I did see some more lightning closer to the coast last night from Bognor Regis. I then chased storms northwards towards Guildford. Overall I would say not a lot of lightning but some were quite spectacular. Especially the crawlers out to sea. Cheers for your advice last night.

Onto today. Back home in Belper, not had a lot of sleep but looks possible for something this afternoon. My thoughts are I need to be a bit north of here (maybe Sheffield northwards). Met Office forecasting thunderstorms all afternoon here, which seems a bit OTT. Some interesting forecasts out for this afternoon though.

What area would you suggest is best for Storms around Sheffield I live just to the South East of Sheffield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

image.thumb.png.6569ddecdb72e64e28011b9db861ccf9.pngLooks very interesting for tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

What area would you suggest is best for Storms around Sheffield I live just to the South East of Sheffield.

Anywhere in Sheffield is at risk but if you are able to drive I would say just north of the city best placed. For most intense and highest likelihood of storms you want to be under this convergence zone

viewimage.thumb.png.059045472f9d6433341fac4d78164ea8.png

• Like 1

Only me the thunderstorm nutter in our house would sleep through not 1 but 2 storms last night with both windows open.. 

I cant sleep with the curtains open as my fiancé is epileptic so frequent lightning at night can very easily trigger a fit even when asleep 

Just to rub it in my middle brother text me at 22:40 saying check out the storm.. Didn't wake up 

Then my neighbour on my way to work said "did you see that epic storm at 4am"

Idiot... 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Quick lunch break post to drop in my pics from last night, which aren't as good as I hoped for...

The pics don't do justice to the ridiculous amount of high-based storms that just kept on spawning from the Channel and their relentless lightning in all directions. Never known 6 hours' worth of near- continuous lightning to occur in the UK in the same place! Missed a lot of epic CGs due to rain, pointing the camera at the wrong storm, changing batteries/settings and the fact I drained ALL of my batteries for the first time ever in one go!

DSC_0947.thumb.jpg.de3d49391d2ad1b7af8e5a10556de1d6.jpgDSC_0939.thumb.jpg.b7fa88f3ead11b656c0ba1f0d6e5f59b.jpgDSC_0968.thumb.jpg.b4c581518aa84f47e6ead9e9619b08e7.jpgDSC_0919.thumb.jpg.e94b1406093bf1e7c4e991f02d50878b.jpgDSC_0807.thumb.jpg.579f81012c31878f6a7f193b813ccc57.jpgDSC_0956.thumb.jpg.354072c9f91b2c75005ee7f3e3f1c063.jpgDSC_0885.thumb.jpg.956663dec8ece02062c2818e97005071.jpgDSC_0926.thumb.jpg.c8a20ae2e460d8e46efb87378a92dff0.jpgDSC_0847.thumb.jpg.9a1f1b940daef0f82f4c63c1a624e68f.jpg

Those are some beautiful photos! Up here we could see the same storm! If this is already happening in mid-may, I'm excited about what the summer has to offer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
19 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Quick lunch break post to drop in my pics from last night, which aren't as good as I hoped for...

The pics don't do justice to the ridiculous amount of high-based storms that just kept on spawning from the Channel and their relentless lightning in all directions. Never known 6 hours' worth of near- continuous lightning to occur in the UK in the same place! Missed a lot of epic CGs due to rain, pointing the camera at the wrong storm, changing batteries/settings and the fact I drained ALL of my batteries for the first time ever in one go!

DSC_0947.thumb.jpg.de3d49391d2ad1b7af8e5a10556de1d6.jpgDSC_0939.thumb.jpg.b7fa88f3ead11b656c0ba1f0d6e5f59b.jpgDSC_0968.thumb.jpg.b4c581518aa84f47e6ead9e9619b08e7.jpgDSC_0919.thumb.jpg.e94b1406093bf1e7c4e991f02d50878b.jpgDSC_0807.thumb.jpg.579f81012c31878f6a7f193b813ccc57.jpgDSC_0956.thumb.jpg.354072c9f91b2c75005ee7f3e3f1c063.jpgDSC_0885.thumb.jpg.956663dec8ece02062c2818e97005071.jpgDSC_0926.thumb.jpg.c8a20ae2e460d8e46efb87378a92dff0.jpgDSC_0847.thumb.jpg.9a1f1b940daef0f82f4c63c1a624e68f.jpg

Watching from the Solent last night, I have to agree...it was certainly spectacular and for the first time ever we had to head home while the lightning was still active. An amazing night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Turkey towers galore here

• Like 7

Posted

@Allseasons-si You may not need to chase today. You look quite well placed.

I'm currently between Barnsley and Wakefield. Nothing of note yet but is still early in the afternoon for storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
9 minutes ago, Supacell said:

@Allseasons-si You may not need to chase today. You look quite well placed.

I'm currently between Barnsley and Wakefield. Nothing of note yet but is still early in the afternoon for storms.

Hopefully i am but as in the nature of showers/storms they are hit and miss,good luck to you also.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Thunderstorms

Cell tracking NNE of Liverpool delivering some more lightning now. Can just about hear it in Chorley. Typical all small cells earlier today headed NE which would have been a direct hit, but this one seems to be heading more NNE and will skim past to the west of me.

• Like 1