Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
11 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the CET is about equal to 2003 actually, we shall see.

It's looking likely this month will finish warmer than August 2003 by around 0.5C.

Edited by Don

Posted

Next week I’d looking like a truly horrific week 🤮 Probably one of the worst this year! I kind of can’t be bothered to go to Cornwall now! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well summer is basically over now so I think it's time to rate it. For useable weather it has to be a 9.5/10, quite simply the best summer I can remember in that regard. The 0.5 is knocked off because of the awful jubilee weekend. The drizzly street party was not pleasant.

But for storms it's a big fat zero. By far and away the worst summer for storms I can remember. The only storm we've had this year was in May.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

At last an August that holds it own in a decent summer. In recent good summers, it has been the weaker or even the worst summer month and when it has been the best, it was during a weak summer.

Hows the Manchester Summer Index looking for summer 2022?... i guess if its centred on manchester it wont look so good as if it was centred in the Southeast, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

This summer has almost felt like a reverse 2018 (although this June was slightly more consistently better than that August). The 40c certainly added an edge to it too. Will be interesting to see what the official stats are for the summer as a whole. June and July weren't quite as hot as 2018, but this August may tip it into overall record breaking territory I would imagine, for this area anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
26 minutes ago, sunny_vale said:

This summer has almost felt like a reverse 2018 (although this June was slightly more consistently better than that August). The 40c certainly added an edge to it too. Will be interesting to see what the official stats are for the summer as a whole. June and July weren't quite as hot as 2018, but this August may tip it into overall record breaking territory I would imagine, for this area anyway. 

August is going to end up one of the hottest on record. CET was up to 19.0c to the 27th, only just behind 1995 (19.2c) as the hottest ever. 

The highest CET summer is unsurprisingly 1976 at 17.77c.....if this August stays at 19.0c, then 2022 would average 17.37c (14.9 / 18.2 / 19.0) which isn't miles away from 1976. Clearly June was much warmer in 1976 than this year (16.5c vs 14.9c), but August 2022 is 1.5c warmer than 1976. There isn't much in it really, but the way people go on about 1976 you'd think it was million degrees every day right through the entire summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
20 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There isn't much in it really, but the way people go on about 1976 you'd think it was million degrees every day right through the entire summer.

Yes, I think what made that summer stand out was the 15 day june/July heatwave.  The rest of the summer, whilst warm, sunny and very dry wasn't overly hot after that point.  I am only going on what I've read but I believe 30c was only reached a few times after that.  Had that heatwave not happened, or been less prolonged, some of our recent hot summers would have pipped it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

August is going to end up one of the hottest on record. CET was up to 19.0c to the 27th, only just behind 1995 (19.2c) as the hottest ever. 

The highest CET summer is unsurprisingly 1976 at 17.77c.....if this August stays at 19.0c, then 2022 would average 17.37c (14.9 / 18.2 / 19.0) which isn't miles away from 1976. Clearly June was much warmer in 1976 than this year (16.5c vs 14.9c), but August 2022 is 1.5c warmer than 1976. There isn't much in it really, but the way people go on about 1976 you'd think it was million degrees every day right through the entire summer.

That doesn't surprise me, it's felt like a classic. I wonder what the differences locally will be though too. I imagine London for example will have fared a lot better, even relative to average, than places further North and West. The CET doesn't always reflect those regional extremes. 

I imagine 1976 stood out more than other hot summers because there hadn't been one like that for a much longer time (1975 aside). They've been increasingly frequent since then really. 

Edit: Also noteworthy, this will be the 5th year in a row with a +17.5c month. 2 this year as well. Definite representation of the changing climate. 

Edited by sunny_vale
Adding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
25 minutes ago, sunny_vale said:

That doesn't surprise me, it's felt like a classic. I wonder what the differences locally will be though too. I imagine London for example will have fared a lot better, even relative to average, than places further North and West. The CET doesn't always reflect those regional extremes. 

I imagine 1976 stood out more than other hot summers because there hadn't been one like that for a much longer time (1975 aside). They've been increasingly frequent since then really. 

Edit: Also noteworthy, this will be the 5th year in a row with a +17.5c month. 2 this year as well. Definite representation of the changing climate. 

Probably the regional variations - sounds like 1976 all 3 Summer months for the whole of the nation from the north of Scotland to the south coast of England had an absolutely glorious Summer as good as you can realistically ever get it.

This Summer, for me in Manchester, it's very close to a classic and others may well say it is a classic but IMO up here, 2018 and 1995 were better - 2022 just seems to have lacked something at times compared to those two Summers but I can't quite put my finger on it and other people from my way are welcome to disagree. 

1976 for whatever reason in the media and the general population just seems to have become this sort of belief that it was 10000 times better than any other Summer we've had since, 1995/03/18 included (which rarely get a mention in the media or general public - almost to the point where they are actually forgotten) when actually as you say, 76 wasn't that much hotter than either 2022 or 1995 as far as the CET goes. It just has gone on to receive something of a false obsession with a lot of people who don't actually have a clue at the weather stats like we do. 1995 and the like don't have this in any way and it's only really amongst weather communities that 1995 is remembered and talked about.

But then again of course let's not forget, 1976 is still out on its own. It still holds the record. Still the ultimate big one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

Gets a good rating from me. 

Lack of rain has consequences of course, but having warm and dry weather throughout the school holiday period has been fantastic. Certainly the best August for a few years. June was a bit meh but not a disaster.

But the highlight simply from a historic perspective was those crazy 2 days in July. The fact the models picked it up so far in advance and seeing the excitement build up on this site. Yes, I appreciate people will say it was a bad thing, global warming blah blah! And I totally agree it's, god forbid, not something we want to be happening every year. But to experience something like that in the UK was truly exceptional.

8/10 for the summer in general, bonus point for the mad July so 9/10 total.

On a par I'd say with 2018 that gets 9/10 just for the summer.  

• Like 1

Posted

Of course there's nothing forecasters like better than a north/south split, so I confidently predict that all weekend they'll be pointing this out and going on about how nice it is in the Northern Isles and mainland.......not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It has been a very good summer for useable weather, but a poor one for thunderstorms.

It will also go down as being a memorable one thanks to the record breaking temps in July, with the build up being a very exciting time for us weather nerds. August was hot at times too, particuarly with that heatwave which saw 5 or more consecutive days of 30+ Celsius. In fact, I'd go as far to say that August was the best summer month this year and the most memorable one since 2003.

Energy bills aside, it would be nice to see just a few consecutive days of a cold snap with daytime temps at or near 0 this winter. But in the meantime, I am now ready for autumn. 🍂🍁

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Probably the regional variations - sounds like 1976 all 3 Summer months for the whole of the nation from the north of Scotland to the south coast of England had an absolutely glorious Summer as good as you can realistically ever get it.

This Summer, for me in Manchester, it's very close to a classic and others may well say it is a classic but IMO up here, 2018 and 1995 were better - 2022 just seems to have lacked something at times compared to those two Summers but I can't quite put my finger on it and other people from my way are welcome to disagree. 

Yes I'd agree with this. We've had a few cloudy spells in NW over the summer- particularly in July- while areas just to the south and east were enjoying almost constant sunshine.

While the July heatwave will live long in the memory, sunshine ended up below average in the Manchester area in July.

It was certainly a very warm month but the summer as a whole just misses out on being a 'classic' around here in my view.

That said, this has been the best August for a long time and a hell of a lot better than the Augusts of the classic summers of 2018, 2013 and 2006. Sunshine well above average for the first time in a long time in August.

We've also had more extreme temps than any of those summers.

I'd certainly echo your sentiment about 1976 as well. I think what makes it stand out more than any other is that prolonged unbroken spell of heat in June/July that has not been matched since. 10 consecutive days above 30C at Manchester Airport! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
15 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Yes I'd agree with this. We've had a few cloudy spells in NW over the summer- particularly in July- while areas just to the south and east were enjoying almost constant sunshine.

While the July heatwave will live long in the memory, sunshine ended up below average in the Manchester area in July.

It was certainly a very warm month but the summer as a whole just misses out on being a 'classic' around here in my view.

That said, this has been the best August for a long time and a hell of a lot better than the Augusts of the classic summers of 2018, 2013 and 2006. Sunshine well above average for the first time in a long time in August.

We've also had more extreme temps than any of those summers.

I'd certainly echo your sentiment about 1976 as well. I think what makes it stand out more than any other is that prolonged unbroken spell of heat in June/July that has not been matched since. 10 consecutive days above 30C at Manchester Airport! 

Yes thanks for your reply and I'm glad someone from Manchester area does agree with me in that it just misses out on being a classic - I thought a lot would disagree and tell me my expectations are too high xD

I think in summary. 1976 just had everything. From start to finish. Week after week day after day (well, alright that may be overstating it a bit) but there was just always something going on. 

This Summer has been close, but not quite like that (up here anyway). I guess the consistency just hasn't quite been there all the time.

Additionally one thing I haven't mentioned that is probably lowering my love for this Summer for a personal bias point of view is that the 3 periods I booked off work just sods law happened to be a washout. (Jubilee, around third week in July (after the 40'C heatwave) and more recently). Of course it would happen like that 😄😄 

Posted
7 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

1976 for whatever reason in the media and the general population just seems to have become this sort of belief that it was 10000 times better than any other Summer we've had since, 1995/03/18 included (which rarely get a mention in the media or general public - almost to the point where they are actually forgotten) when actually as you say, 76 wasn't that much hotter than either 2022 or 1995 as far as the CET goes. It just has gone on to receive something of a false obsession with a lot of people who don't actually have a clue at the weather stats like we do. 1995 and the like don't have this in any way and it's only really amongst weather communities that 1995 is remembered and talked about.

But then again of course let's not forget, 1976 is still out on its own. It still holds the record. Still the ultimate big one. 

The Manchester Summer Index of 2022 will be below the summers of 1995 and 2018 but it will have still have a pretty high value but personally I didn't like this summer.

1995 and 2018, in my opinion were miles better than this summer and I wonder if it is because of the sunshine levels. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The Manchester Summer Index of 2022 will be below the summers of 1995 and 2018 but it will have still have a pretty high value but personally I didn't like this summer.

1995 and 2018, in my opinion were miles better than this summer and I wonder if it is because of the sunshine levels. 

I found June and July 2022 to be too cloudy.  August has been good though.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

1976 and 1995 king summers in the Lake District. 2018, 1983 and 1984, 1989 next league. I would put 2022 alongside 2003 and 2006 in the next league.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well despite a lot of days with nuisance cloud when there may as well have not been… all 3 summer months have surpassed 200 hours here.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

2018 had an underwhelming August though- this has been much better all-round and much sunnier.

But yes I certainly agree on sunshine levels overall. We were unlucky in July given high pressure was never far away- it just wasn't in the perfect position for western areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A good summer here.

Average came in at 18°C

0.3°C below summer 2018.

Obviously drier, as 181mm of rain fell in 2018, as opposed to 65.4mm this summer.

Cooling degree days came in at 150.6, whereas 2018 was 161.9

Sunshine for summer 2018 was 670.2 hours, vs 636.9 hours this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Summer of two halves here..June was cool and very wet..July started cool and wet dried out and finished warm and dry...August has been hot and dry potentially could be one of the hottest August's on record..today is 33c ..tomorrow is forecast to be 31-32c..means we could finish close to an average max of 28c for this month.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

1976 and 1995 king summers in the Lake District. 2018, 1983 and 1984, 1989 next league. I would put 2022 alongside 2003 and 2006 in the next league.

2022 was much better than anything we’ve had since about 2003, and apart from that, the only other summer to match that would be 2018.

2018 had a better May and a longer period of sunny clear days, but the school holiday period and August was better in 2022.

I can safely add this summer to the list of 1975,76,83,84,89,90,94,95,2003,2006, 2013(hot July period), 2018, and 2014(although it was a poor august that year).

Posted

I’m wearing trousers now on a regular basis, and this hasn’t happened since early July, so just goes to show how warm it’s been.

The light jacket will be coming out by the end of this week. It’s starting to feel cold enough in the mornings.

• Like 2