Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, NTC said:

Did the people of 1975 and 1976 go this is a change in climate or did they just think what a lovely summer lets hope it rains soon.

Mosy years had periods of dry weather for weeks nothing new.

The classic climate change-denier response

B--b-b-but what about 1976...? 

Besides we haven't had a dry period for weeks - we've had it for months where I live

Hot summers are becoming much more regular, we're breaking warm temp records virtually every year, the predicted long dry spells followed by extreme rains is happening. Our climate is changing and pretty quickly

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

This country will never suffer from a long drought, imho this is nonsense. Rivers ran dry before and will run dry again. Then it will rain like we are used to and everything will be fine. We are in summer, a lovely summer it has been. 

Australia was all over the news a few months back as they were in a drought. Reservoirs back to being full suddenly and not a peep from the press or those saying climate change etc

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, all weather said:

This country will never suffer from a long drought, imho this is nonsense. Rivers ran dry before and will run dry again. Then it will rain like we are used to and everything will be fine. We are in summer, a lovely summer it has been. 

Australia was all over the news a few months back as they were in a drought. Reservoirs back to being full suddenly and not a peep from the press or those saying climate change etc

So, is climate change happening or not then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

So, is climate change happening or not then?

Yes, Climate has been changing since the year dot, it is not a new thing that we have just realised, which some people maybe surprised at hearing.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, all weather said:

Past drought events have run into several years such as 1765 to 1768. Is this a long drought by your definition? This longer period of drought is not isolated, there have been other multi year droughts in the UK and Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
7 minutes ago, all weather said:

We need some new reservoirs. Syphon of flood water as save for a rainy day.....whoops, dry day. Seriously our infrastructure is rubbish.

Posted
22 minutes ago, all weather said:

Yes, Climate has been changing since the year dot, it is not a new thing that we have just realised, which some people maybe surprised at hearing.

How very Trump

Yeah silly me. Because we've had ice ages and warmer periods thousands of years ago, that means humans have NOT had an influence on the climate and there hasn't been a large spike in global temps the space of only 200 years

All this cherry picking of certain years in an attempt to deny man-influenced climate change is a classic tactic. Usually used by bots working for oil companies

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Nothing extreme.
18 minutes ago, all weather said:

I remember not long ago people would say "40 celsius would never be recorded in the UK", with their rationale being the UK is too small a landmass and surrounded by water ergo we would never get the required daytime heating even in v hot airmasses. Well recent events have proven them wrong I'd say.

We need to accept in a warming world and changing climate anything can happen, including previously unthinkable extreme events.

Edited by Stewart M
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Right. Enough. Let's keep climate change discussion in the climate section. And let's keep climate change denial off this forum entirely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This evening had a late summer feel to it for the first time with the earlier fading daylight and a very slight nip in the air.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Yes, I noticed that when putting the milk bottles out about 30 minutes ago.......

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 hours ago, NTC said:

Oh come on its one year when we have a drought and one day of a deluge so things must be changing? What about every other year when weather does something you don't expect.

Did every summer have floods because 2007 had them?

Long dry periods punctuated by occasional high rainfall totals in summer are nothing new, in fact are quite normal.

Its the rest of the year that is more interesting. Spring has become drier even since I began taking records, and at least the first half of autumn too.

Somewhere between the complete hyperbole and complete denial there is an element of truth I find (not saying you have either/or by the way).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oooh it's been cold today! Not even reached 20c! Been in my winter jumper ...

No sooner did I moan about cloud, did the sun come out and we got to 23 degrees. Let’s hope tomorrow actually brings a proper sunny day… I suspect not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

With all this talk of rain days: now 14 rain days (midnight to midnight) for August here at this location in Pieria, Greece thanks to a thunderstorm around midnight, complete with what I think was a shelf cloud. All rainfall has been convective in nature - you would not think that somewhere in Greece is considerably more thundery than southern England but in my experience it is.

The two days of heavy or prolonged rain here in July will make the stats misleading for that month, which was basically 29 sunny days, 1 thundery day and 1 day with prolonged steady rainfall (and temps around 18C, perhaps 12 below norm, so equivalent to an 11C July max in Southern England!)

As for the autumn in the UK, as I return soon I'm hoping it's warm and mostly dry, with some interludes of convective rainfall (e.g. large but slack lows giving coastal thundery showers which drift inland, a fairly common autumn setup) so it's not bone-dry.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
19 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I love the summer and get frustrated when we get long unsettled spells, cool temperatures and little to no sunshine, but this year (along with 2018) has been a reminder that you can have too much of a good thing. For the most part the UK has the right blend as a temperate climate and we should be mainly thankful.

I would say that areas of Central Europe have a closer match to the ideal for many (plenty of sunshine but not excessively dry or hot, and winters cold with some snow).  (Southern) UK winters are too mild, dull and damp, lack snow and much frost typically - so are a bit of an ordeal to get through many years. Springs are nice (and definitely the best season in southern England), though I would maybe would like to see more northerly plunges in the first half of the season and more reliable sunshine in May. Summers most years are rather too cloudy and cool, and lack much thunder (not this year I realise, and summers were better in the 1989-2006 period) and autumns a bit too stormy: would like to see more benign calm weather in autumn broken by periods of convective rainfall from Pm air in large but slack lows.

If the winters were 2C colder, the summers 2C warmer, and more of the rainfall was convective, the climate would be significantly better. Central Europe seems to do this quite well: there is regular rainfall in summer by all accounts, mostly convective (showers/storms or cold fronts) but in between, plenty of warm summer weather.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Noticed on my walk to work today how much fresher everything is. I always find this time of year/September feels almost 'spring like' with things starting to feel a bit more lush again and the slightly shorter days. Appreciating the sun being back today but also grateful we did manage a good amount of rain yesterday too. Here's to a pleasant and sunny bank holiday weekend! Cheers 🍻

• Like 5

Posted

I will just comment on drought. 

We have had droughts in the past, some lasting years, and those were probably much worse than the current one.

Why? We use an awful lot more water now than the past. When you had to carry your water from the well, or nearby stream, you didn't waste it. 

So a couple of points to make. 

Droughts in the past would have been severe, we did not draw anywhere near as much water for daily use. 

The one we are in is in many ways our own making as we use, and waste, so much, drawing on reservoirs, lakes and aquifiers in such a way as never before. 

To compare the droughts of today with those of a few hundred years ago these things need to be taken into account.

In recent history we have had droughts, 1976 being one, we are not quite there yet, although again water usage and waste is high, next year if we don't have replenishing rains over winter, then we might be. 

Edited by SnowBear
Spelling
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

I will just comment on drought. 

We have had droughts in the past, some lasting years, and those were probably much worse than the current one.

Why? We use an awful lot more water now than the past. When you had to carry your water from the well, or nearby stream, you didn't waste it. 

So a couple of points to make. 

Droughts in the past would have been severe, we did not draw anywhere near as much water for daily use. 

The one we are in is in many ways our own making as we use, and waste, so much, drawing on reservoirs, lakes and aquifiers in such a way as never before. 

To compare the droughts of today with those of a few hundred years ago these things need to be taken into account.

In recent history we have had droughts, 1976 being one, we are not quite there yet, although again water usage and waste is high, next year if we don't have replenishing rains over winter, then we might be. 

Very good points, and as you pointed to, winter rain holds all the cards. Even those areas who've had quite a wet month now, the growing season continues, albeit more slowly now than mid summer, so that water will be lost to the atmosphere in a couple of weeks of fine weather, if that's what we get. Once we get to late October, that's when rainfall amounts really begin to become important as they are no longer lost to the atmosphere as fast, and it'll likely be well into winter before we will have a better idea about what to expect next year, and if the drought is over or likely to continue.

Those areas that missed the deluges are even more dependent on this year's winter rains.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

After the few days of cool rain here, summer has returned. Currently 29°C with sunny spells, plenty of thundery activity to the west but looks like it won’t affect Prague for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Very nice late summers day here, lots of sunshine with a bit of fair weather cloud. 24°c currently. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, danm said:

Very nice late summers day here, lots of sunshine with a bit of fair weather cloud. 24°c currently. 

I'm missing summer already and it's not even left yet!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Spoke too soon, some pretty intense storms blew up over Prague and much of the western and northern Czech Republic this evening. A torrential downpour here