Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We were supposed to be in a bright spells here until later on this afternoon/evening. Instead it's dull and drizzling. Not only is the rain well ahead of forecast, it also seems be a lot lighter.

Let's hope tomorrow's sunshine get ruined by lingering frontal cloud to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Just for fun  and purely analog based.  Going back to 2016 when the calendar was last the same as this year.  We had hot weather on Tuesday 19th July, Wednesday 22nd June, friday12th august and now Wednesday 24th August in both years.

Are we going to therefore get another exceptional heatwave around 13 September?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful day here in London Town. It’s sunny and very warm, pushing 28°c currently. This is the summer that keeps on giving.

9C7FEF2D-9E15-4D1D-9B83-CF60704EB340.thumb.jpeg.34ac883adb7a98b0a77cea358b9406d7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Beautiful day here in London Town. It’s sunny and very warm, pushing 28°c currently. This is the summer that keeps on giving.

9C7FEF2D-9E15-4D1D-9B83-CF60704EB340.thumb.jpeg.34ac883adb7a98b0a77cea358b9406d7.jpeg

Looks a bit brighter than here at the moment. Been quite cloudy with fleeting breaks, but it's still up above 27c and yet another very warm day!
Humidity at 50% which is higher than a lot of the warm weather we've seen this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Nothing extreme.
32 minutes ago, danm said:

More like the summer that has long outstayed its welcome...

Cloudy but warmish where I am with little wind  (again).  There's supposed to be some rain later but judging by recent form I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

It's another warm and muggy one today down here, not quite as warm as inland but still 23c with 80% humidity and feels steamy in the hot sun. DP at 20c.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 minute ago, SunSean said:

Met Office- its going to be overcast all day I'm afraid sir.

Reality-

20220824_153851.jpg

Where did they say that? Saw ITV weather this am say hot and sunny in SE.  Raining nicely here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 minute ago, Climate Man said:

Where did they say that? Saw ITV weather this am say hot and sunny in SE.  Raining nicely here.

On my met office app lol. Woke up this morning and they had the grey cloud symbol for the whole day haha.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Forecast today was 27°c and we’ve hit 29°c with glorious sunshine. Beautiful late summers day. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

This may be the vodka sodas talking but looking at the models and after having yet another wonderful day, I'm gonna throw it out there that this is the best August since 2003 and the best summer since 1976. Yes I said it. Overall, taking into account sunshine, temperature and rainfall, this shades 2018 and 1995 even. I know not all people like this kind of summer but after all the rubbish we've been put through the last few years, this takes the absolute cake. It's not the summer we expected, but it's the summer we needed and I know I have a moan every now and again but being realistic, for me, this has been something special. I hope you all have found some enjoyment in this wonderful summer and I hope we won't have to wait too long for another one like this! Always had a good feeling about 2022 and 2023 so maybe same again next year? Haha.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Without doubt the worst summer in 2 decades, so uncomfortable, but more than anything so expensive! Now its just dragging on like a bad cold that won't lt go, vile.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
28 minutes ago, SunSean said:

This may be the vodka sodas talking but looking at the models and after having yet another wonderful day, I'm gonna throw it out there that this is the best August since 2003 and the best summer since 1976. Yes I said it. Overall, taking into account sunshine, temperature and rainfall, this shades 2018 and 1995 even. I know not all people like this kind of summer but after all the rubbish we've been put through the last few years, this takes the absolute cake. It's not the summer we expected, but it's the summer we needed and I know I have a moan every now and again but being realistic, for me, this has been something special. I hope you all have found some enjoyment in this wonderful summer and I hope we won't have to wait too long for another one like this! Always had a good feeling about 2022 and 2023 so maybe same again next year? Haha.

Yes I had a feeling about this year being a better than expected summer too.  I do wonder if 22/23 will be like 75/76, as we have a developing drought as well.  Maybe next year will be the 'daddy' of all summers, even eclipsing 1976, and being better for the north too.

I'm not sure we will see 40C again though for a while at least.  Even with climate change I feel that was a 1 off.  More frequent 35-37C occurrences though certainly

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes I had a feeling about this year being a better than expected summer too.  I do wonder if 22/23 will be like 75/76, as we have a developing drought as well.  Maybe next year will be the 'daddy' of all summers, even eclipsing 1976, and being better for the north too.

I'm not sure we will see 40C again though for a while at least.  Even with climate change I feel that was a 1 off.  More frequent 35-37C occurrences though certainly

Yes i have that feeling about the comparison to 75/76 also. Hopefully we haven't jinxed it and it ends up a washout haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
50 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

IMO 1995 was the daddy of all summers..ahead of 1976

• Like 1

Posted

So I was just looking at the Met office tweet regarding how dry it has been. Whats fascinating is my local area is currently close to average for August, and is at 70% for the summer overall. There is every chance that should we end up getting some rain in the next 12-24hrs we will tip into the average bracket locally for the summer precipitation, should it really come down (though I think I might too far west for the main thrust) we may even end up close enough to the 100% mark.

We had a very below average June (something like 60% of normal rainfall) followed by about 1mm from early July right through to mid August. It kinda shows just how explosive the thunderstorm we were under last week that caused the flash flooding here was. Crazy to think a 30 minute blast of severe rain ended up giving about half a usual summers worth of rainfall and opening the door to an average summer for rainfall locally, despite a 50-60 day period with only 1-2mms of rainfall. 

Posted
8 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Just for fun  and purely analog based.  Going back to 2016 when the calendar was last the same as this year.  We had hot weather on Tuesday 19th July, Wednesday 22nd June, friday12th august and now Wednesday 24th August in both years.

Are we going to therefore get another exceptional heatwave around 13 September?

...with it all going bang overnight on 14th/15th September?! 

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, kold weather said:

So I was just looking at the Met office tweet regarding how dry it has been. Whats fascinating is my local area is currently close to average for August, and is at 70% for the summer overall. There is every chance that should we end up getting some rain in the next 12-24hrs we will tip into the average bracket locally for the summer precipitation, should it really come down (though I think I might too far west for the main thrust) we may even end up close enough to the 100% mark.

We had a very below average June (something like 60% of normal rainfall) followed by about 1mm from early July right through to mid August. It kinda shows just how explosive the thunderstorm we were under last week that caused the flash flooding here was. Crazy to think a 30 minute blast of severe rain ended up giving about half a usual summers worth of rainfall and opening the door to an average summer for rainfall locally, despite a 50-60 day period with only 1-2mms of rainfall. 

Yes, I read somewhere that Odiham, near both yours and my location, had a July with no measurable rain and I imagine it was the same until last week.   I don't keep rainfall records, but it shows how much the variation can be locally as we had less than 5mm in total last week as a guess

13 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

...with it all going bang overnight on 14th/15th September?! 

Hope so, didnt mention that storm was the best in my lifetime here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

We have had 3 hours steady to heavy rain last tuesday ..in 2 months, the slight rain at the start of July was negligible.

Today saw lots of humidity and a  SW/NE front moving over us, with nil at ground level.

Nothing on the horizon either

Luckily, we may see rain next Wednesday in Lisbon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The months and months of dry weather well and truly busted this morning! Rain, thunder and lightning to start the day...with hours more heavy rain on the way looking at the radar!

Posted

10mm so far here which has basically ensured an average August. not impossible we end up in the above average category, though today would have to end up around 30mm to do so which maybe a bit of a stretch still.

Amazingly this rainfall may well also tip this summer into the average category for rainfall, though unless it really does stay very wet all day we should stay below 100% quite comfortably!

Still for that to even be an option is actually somewhat insane given how very dry this summer has been overall!

Edited by kold weather
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
11 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

IMO 1995 was the daddy of all summers..ahead of 1976

I remember 1995 well, but don't remember 1976 (despite living through it.. though when I was very young).

Looking at the synoptic charts for 1976 I can see why people rave about it though. I don't think any other summer was so completely dominated by high pressure (though even in 1976, it looks like the 2nd half of July was fairly changeable - if dry in the south).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Have been in Greece most of the summer.

July was very dry in the sense that there were just two rain-days (8th and 9th) but the rainfall on those two days was prolonged and heavy, so around 50mm may have been obtained. It was also sunny and slightly warmer than normal by day (around 32C vs a normal of around 30) but nights were unusually warm (around 22 or 23 compared to a high-teens norm).

August, usually the driest month (due, I think, to the lack of instability-creating cold pools which can occur earlier in the summer as well as in September) seems to have been unusually changeable here, with rain falling (admittedly in small amounts on some days) on the 7th, 10th-14th, 16th, and 20th-24th. A few drops so far today too, though not enough to count (yet). Nonetheless the weather is forecast to be a bit disturbed until tomorrow, before being warm and sunny next week - so quite likely there will be 14 rain-days here for the month of August (Pieria, near Mount Olympus). That would be comparable to an average late summer, autumn or winter month in southern England.

Plenty of interest for summer weather (in all its form) fans though. The first 10 days or so were mostly hot and sunny (a continuation of July) - if rather humid - perhaps around 30-32C max typically. As time went on, there was an increased tendency for sheets of Ac cloud to form at night, before breaking up in the morning, and there were night-time thundery showers visible from a distance on a couple of nights.

Around the 11th the first of two changeable spells arrived, with high cloud amounts and occasional thundery downpours from the evening of the 11th to the 14th, heaviest on the 14th.

Then a return to warm or hot sunny weather, the 15th being relatively fresh (max below 30C, low humidity) and sunny. The 16th was a little bit hotter and sunny most of the day but an unexpected thunderstorm developed and passed overhead in the early evening, just before sunset, with frequent cloud to cloud lightning. It appeared to be an isolated Cb but a bit mystified as to its cause as the surrounding days had little convection.

Then a brief heatwave developed, the 17th being fairly average (for here) before the 18th and 19th saw temps around 34 or 35C.

On the 20th the second changeable spell arrived, with increasing cloud (low-based, resembled a warm version of a changeable SW-ly in the UK) during the day before a Cb suddenly erupted out of nowhere around sunset over the sea (Thermaic Gulf). As it got dark this produced frequent lightning as did a back building cell which followed it. Then close to midnight, further storms some way (50km+) to the north produced cloud-ground lightning visible from a great distance.

The 21st was mostly cloudy and humid, and in the evening further storms appeared to the north towards midnight (closely resembling the previous night), along with some moderate thundery showers overhead.

Monday had a bright, humid morning with mid-level instability before storms developed over Olympus during the afternoon, though not severe. These gradually transitioned to steady rain before it finally cleared towards midnight.

Tuesday started deceptively bright and sunny, and remained so until past midday but Cbs were visible to the east over Halkidiki and around 2pm storms developed over Olympus, producing further thundery showers. These then cleared though masses of low cloud developed over the mountains in the early evening and it became still and humid. Towards dark, a more severe storm with torrential rain developed in-situ and lasted, on and off, for about an hour. It seemed to move NNE before the skies cleared by midnight - this was again deceptive.

Wednesday started with overcast skies and a storm, with audible thunder, was to the NE during the morning. The afternoon had heavy As cover before at-first steady rain developed around 7pm or so, gradually becoming heavier with a couple of torrential, almost biblical bursts at times. The rain stopped by midnight but it remained cloudy, as it does this morning.

So quite possible August will be wetter here than back home (despite reading reports of storms back home during the past week) and even possible summer as a whole may end up being wetter here (as June apparently contained a changeable spell of 10 days or so, which I caught the tail-end of). Nonetheless the rainless spell of July 10th-August 6th (28 days) is probably the longest rainless spell I've experienced in my life.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, kold weather said:

Was out of the country from the 17th but I'm surprised that a Hampshire station got just 60% rainfall in June.

Before I left, it was pretty changeable with frequent rain for the first 10 days of the month, before a warm and sunny 5 days from the 13th-17th.

But from what I gather the rest of the month was pretty changeable, except for a further brief fine spell from the 20th-22nd. So surprised June was so dry, what was it like from the 18th where you were?