Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Hold the front page!! It's RAINING in Cambridge!  😃🌧️  Hallelujah! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been hot and sunny for long enough to merit a decent august in my book. The best first half for a long time.

With the very strong caveat that I am still out of the country (so I didn't experience the first half direct) but looking at the models for the next week and the updated Met Office forecast (more changeable still than a couple of days ago) I'm still not convinced that I would rate the month overall as comfortably "good" were I to have been in the UK. Good for the period since 2006, true, but perhaps pretty average for the 90s. A "good" summer month in my opinion needs to have fine weather spread throughout the month, rather than just half of it. Similarly, I probably wouldn't have rated August 1975 as that great had I been old enough to remember it, as it seemed to feature a breakdown on the 14th and then the weather never really recovered. For me, I prefer the 1981 or 1991 type of August (as well as the obvious ones like 1995). Never exceptionally hot, but prolonged fine, anticyclonic weather lasting practically all month with only the briefest of interruptions.

Based on model runs and interpretation of the Met Office forecast, it seems likely to end up wetter and less sunny than 1981, 1983, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1995 (certainly) and 2003, for example. Given that (I think) the first four days of August were cloudy, there must be a fair chance the month will end up with below-average sunshine.

Edited by Summer8906

Bored of the rain, its rubbish. Stops you doing things in the daytime, ruins the views and makes everything dark. Can we arrange for it overnight only. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Bored of the rain, its rubbish. Stops you doing things in the daytime, ruins the views and makes everything dark. Can we arrange for it overnight only. 

It's not raining up through the forest, just head a little bit East.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hot and sunny day here, up to 32°C. Same forecast for tomorrow and Thursday before thunderstorms and a cool down on Friday. Am certainly craving a good storm

• Like 2

Posted

E53C0D35-24F5-4738-92AD-85CB2D8ABD47.thumb.jpeg.06f256038ae9f937898643137820bd88.jpeg

Usual rainfall trolling for here. After about 15 mins of piddly rain earlier, everything else has done a moses and split over here leaving us nothing. So predictable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

400 miles done today with work, 3 lake crossings....both on the A1, now home to glorious heavy rain, not a bad day at all! Such a fantastic welcome change at last.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can't believe my ears - we actually have some heavy rain for once. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

There was a thunderstorm and heavy downpour this evening over west London/Heathrow, according to reports from family 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Decided to do some analysis on the geopotential heights this year and the tendency for high pressure to stick around the UK has been remarkable.  

Interesting to watch but that was way too fast for my eyes at 5:23am 😆

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
2 hours ago, Row w said:

Interesting to watch but that was way too fast for my eyes at 5:23am 😆

Watching it back at 8am it's a bit fast 🤣 will have to slow it down.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Decided to do some analysis on the geopotential heights this year and the tendency for high pressure to stick around the UK has been remarkable.  

Love stuff like this. Cool chart!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Love stuff like this. Cool chart!

Thanks!  I've been trying to create some animated weather maps although I'm not sure where I can access raw forecast data

Posted

Couple of showers overnight, but the day has started cloudy and humid and airless. 

This is the worst kind of summer weather. The sun is behind those clouds just boiling the rain away, so no help for the garden and no comfort for us. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well we dodged most of the rain yesterday (ended up with just 0.5mm here) but I think today the streak is about to get smashed.

I'm fully expecting at least 25mm locally today given already got a fairly decent backbuilding cell in the area.

A good chance a nearby lake I've been watching will be back by tomorrow morning after being gone for the last month or so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

146.2mm of rain in Holbeach, Lincolnshire, in the 24hrs to 9am this morning that's 38% of its entire rainfall total this year

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

146.2mm of rain in Holbeach, Lincolnshire, in the 24hrs to 9am this morning that's 38% of its entire rainfall total this year

Does that mean Holbeach at least not in drought conditions, or is it the case all the rain washed away..

Posted

First very wet day here for quite some time, now over 20mm today and right in the thick of the convergence zone as well. Could well see near normal August rainfall from this one day alone!

I'm very much curious to see what the benchmark lake looks like tomorrow morning, my guess is it will be back in some form for the first time in a month, no way the ground will be absorbing all this rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

In the middle of an almighty downpour here in central London. The Shard has almost completely disappeared from view from our office window (we are across the river). 

• Like 1

Posted

Another hot day here at 32°C with sunny skies. Potentially very thundery tomorrow and on Friday, fingers crossed. Getting reports of very heavy showers in west London with a few rumbles of thunder

Posted
1 hour ago, TQWX said:

Just noticed the sea temp in Torquay is now above 20C!

seatemp.jpg

Are you going for a swim?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Useless forecasts today, wet until 2pm or so, and since then no sun whatsoever, was meant to be say around Oxford area moving SE, but instead stalled over NW areas

Now do I believe tomorrows forecast? dry till 2pm or so, assume rain will arrive much earlier

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252