Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

This must be one of the hottest, if not the hottest weekend that Premier League has been played- and perhaps professional football in general in England.

There are normally only two possible weekends really in August that could produce these sorts of temperatures during the season.

A full round of EFL fixtures was played on Sat 9th August 2003, the day before the (then) hottest day on record, but I don't think the PL started until the following weekend.

Edit - with apologies to ShinyDave who has already answered the question. Must be the heat or something!

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Exeter was at 32C by 12.30pm and hey presto the fair weather light cloud and breeze appeared out of thin air so we won’t be going over our record of 33.5 C today

• Like 2

Posted

Summer index for the top 10 summers since 1980 here:

2018: 295
1989: 287
2022: 281 (to 12th Aug)
1995: 279
2006: 278
2003: 271
1996: 265
2013: 262
1983: 261
1994: 257

Up the list it continues to go. Above 1995 now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A full round of EFL fixtures was played on Sat 9th August 2003, the day before the (then) hottest day on record, but I don't think the PL started until the following weekend.

Edit - with apologies to ShinyDave who has already answered the question. Must be the heat or something!

Yes I think it's safe to say this is the hottest Premier League weekend ever.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
22 minutes ago, reef said:

Would I be right in thinking that 03 or 06 probably hit your absolute peak and then dropped back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
40 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Who in the league is playing today near Charlewood.. Boiling

Just now, emmett garland said:

Who in the league is playing today near Charlewood.. Boiling

Charlwood

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markyo said:

The list is very very very long!🥵

Yawn…..your months of miserable weather forcing everyone inside will be back soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yawn…..your months of miserable weather forcing everyone inside will be back soon. 

They are already inside! Its to hot!!😀.....i have never since lockdown found it so easy to park in town centres , they have been empty. Suppose that is one positive!😉

Oh and hope your stroll on a patched and brown field wacking a ball went ok...whats that phrase...only mad men and en...better not, i'll get in trouble

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Cracking weekend so far, not overly humid yet. I'm wanting a storm now as the solar panels have been invaded by pigeons, a hefty downpour is needed but I have quotes for rectifying the problem.

Try and try I just can't climatise to the heat properly. It's a lottery with the weather either triggering asthma or a migraine.... the crisp cold in winter has a similar effect too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
13 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Cracking weekend so far, not overly humid yet. I'm wanting a storm now as the solar panels have been invaded by pigeons, a hefty downpour is needed but I have quotes for rectifying the problem.

Try and try I just can't climatise to the heat properly. It's a lottery with the weather either triggering asthma or a migraine.... the crisp cold in winter has a similar effect too.

Sorry to hear you are suffering , my chest has been very tight as well and it's miserable . Does a thunderstorm make you wheezy ? 

It was crystal blue sky this morning but definitely a milky haze now and feeling sticky . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Got back down to London this afternoon from Scotland, after an overnight stay just north of Newcastle. It was grey and misty up there this morning - the hotel isn’t too far from the coast. An hour or so into the drive and we had escaped the haar and were back in clear blue skies. 

The difference between mid 20’s in NE England and mid 30’s when we got home was stark. As was the grass getting more and more brown the further south we drove. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Highest temperatures as of 16:00. These will probably be the maximums for today, just falling short of 35c

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
36 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Highest temperatures as of 16:00. These will probably be the maximums for today, just falling short of 35c

Amazing stuff 🙂 I love this summer!

I’ve been heating up water to do the dishes in the nice free heat. 
I have a question, don’t know where to post it - is there any pattern to winter precipitation following on from this hot dry summer? I remember huge snow falls in Devon after the v dry 1976 summer, but don’t know if anyone can judge by now what this winter will be like? Only because, Anglian Water bragging that their aquifers are 80% full meanwhile not implementing a hosepipe ban seems really annoyingly arrogant. Do they have inside knowledge that we are forecast a wet winter, or are they just stupid and short sighted?

7273E7BD-58C6-484F-AC10-2A45242ED0A6.jpeg

13A8C847-8A55-4504-89F9-40A20C40535C.jpeg

Edited by Woollymummy
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

I have a question, don’t know where to post it - is there any pattern to winter precipitation following on from this hot dry summer? I remember huge snow falls in Devon after the v dry 1976 summer, but don’t know if anyone can judge by now what this winter will be like? Only because, Anglian Water bragging that their aquifers are 80% full meanwhile not implementing a hosepipe ban seems really annoyingly arrogant. Do they have inside knowledge that we are forecast a wet winter, or are they just stupid and short sighted?

Even a dry winter contains sufficient precipitation that aquifer levels will probably increase even if slowly. What other regions are worried about is if the low levels don’t top up fast enough that next spring they drop starkly again. That’s not a concern for all regions and not arrogant. You either have better management or just better sources.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Even a dry winter contains sufficient precipitation that aquifer levels will probably increase even if slowly. What other regions are worried about is if the low levels don’t top up fast enough that next spring they drop starkly again. That’s not a concern for all regions and not arrogant. You either have better management or just better sources.

AW are not know for their good management of water resources. I feel for farmers in that area, knowing that this kind of weather will no doubt repeat, and they are not given support. As much as we love a good heatwave, food security is not guaranteed if water resources are mishandled. I can’t wait for some decent storms now ⚡⚡⚡

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely weather so far and one of the best summers I’ve experienced in London. Long hot or warm sunny days with mostly clear skies. 

The cloud can stay away as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Third day in a row of 32°C+ here.  Far hotter than July!  

Great stuff!

We did hit 34*C here in July but was just a one day wonder. Though the weather was good during that heatwave, we were continually plagued with high cloud.

This heatwave far better for us here. We have had 3 continuous days of 31*C here!  Also looking likely that we will hit another 30*C tomorrow.Plus the continuous 7 days of wall to wall sunshine has been amazing. Much better than the the July heatwave. 

Stunning weather and nice to have an actual summer in August. Won’t be long though before the traditional westerly winds will be back and with that being the never ending cloud. 

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Are you saying that they should implement hosepipe bans, even though they are happy with their supply, just because others have? My own area is supplied by underground water, and even in the driest years, we've had no restrictions. Some areas are just lucky.

• Like 2

Posted

Returned from a few days in Paris this lunchtime and as the plane (on route to Bristol airport) came in over Kent and Sussex it looked more like England's brown and not-so pleasant land. Really quite something to see Brown fields from Paris right through to Southern England. As we approached the Bristol area a mix of green(ish) fields and brown, although we've had v little rain since June in our area.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

So far this summer in London (including today) we’ve had 10 days with temperatures exceeding 30°c. That’ll be 11 days when we count tomorrow. Monday is a small possibility. 

We’ve had 45 days with temperatures exceeding 24°c, which is our average late July daily maxima. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

More cloud here today with some convection, but have stayed dry so far. Still plenty of sunny spells and a very pleasant 24°C currently. 

4E82CA08-4024-4DB8-9487-CB33E3E01629.jpeg

55F5436D-9080-4162-B7FF-95C060123578.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst I like some hot days in summer and am happy that August is a sunny one for once, I must admit that the heat is starting to get a bit much now. It was lovely at first, but after a few days it becomes rather draining.

I would be more than happy with a normal summer with temps in the low to mid twenties, sunshine and a nice gentle breeze. 

Really looking forward to the cool down next week.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, reef said:

What's this data based on / source out of interest?