Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I see the BBC are still banging the 37C drum for the next few days. If anything, the models are a shade cooler with the usually baking hot UKV struggling to even force out 35!

Considering all the climate conspiracy garbage we've seen over recent weeks (e.g. those offended by map colours) it's really not a good look to be exaggerating maximum temperature forecasts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I guess we have to see where the temperatures end up today. The models suggest that 34c will be the maximum so matching yesterday. If it does end up higher then maybe these forecasts were right to suggest higher values (Even when going against the model output we can see). It doesn’t seem like just the BBC, a couple of other sites are also going for around 36 or 37c.

I do agree it does seem odd to go for values higher than even the likes of the GFS and UKV are going for, and these recently have been close to the actual maximum.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Thunderstorm warning for you and you and you!

image.thumb.png.495caf53c6cc9ebe949c8200fcd9154e.png

Or… for all but the worst drought areas!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
22 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

But not for us !!!!!...in the parched south east...just ......well...i suppose no surprise...😡😡

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Liam Burge said:

I am taking that with a pinch of salt. Even just rain is hard to come by nowadays, let alone a thunderstorm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Considering all the climate conspiracy garbage we've seen over recent weeks (e.g. those offended by map colours) it's really not a good look to be exaggerating maximum temperature forecasts.

Oh for goodness sake just drop the climate change denial. You don't have a leg to stand on there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, al78 said:

Oh for goodness sake just drop the climate change denial. You don't have a leg to stand on there.

That's not fair. I've had my disputes with Nick over the years; but, unless I've grossly misunderstood him, he's certainly no climate change denier?🤔

Posted
14 minutes ago, al78 said:

You what? 😂 You've literally just quoted a post of mine criticising climate change denial, and then accuse me of climate change denial.

I've seen some interesting thought processes on this forum in the last 15 years, but I think this wins!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

A timely reminder to everyone: do all you can to stay safe!👍

_126279407_sarahh.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

By the time BBC journalist Sarah Lee was able to get doctors to listen, her cancer had spread.

Indeed, My dad who was a builder ( now retired) hair thinned in later life and is now visiting Hospital every couple of months to have moles removed from his scalp.

I'm following in his footsteps and have my hair shaved quite low so use a scalp sunscreen 50+

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, al78 said:

I think you've misread the post.

I think ( as I am not Nick) that the phrase "climate conspiracy garbage" was aimed at those who believe that the argument for climate change was a conspiracy and who cited the use of colours on a chart as an example of the conspiracyor at least that's how I read it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I guess we have to see where the temperatures end up today. The models suggest that 34c will be the maximum so matching yesterday. If it does end up higher then maybe these forecasts were right to suggest higher values (Even when going against the model output we can see). It doesn’t seem like just the BBC, a couple of other sites are also going for around 36 or 37c.

I do agree it does seem odd to go for values higher than even the likes of the GFS and UKV are going for, and these recently have been close to the actual maximum.

Met office forecast @11am for Heathrow  show 35C today ,36C Tomorrow and 35C Sunday . It was 31.3C at midday , a figure it didn't reach until 1pm yesterday when the Max was 32.5. Dew point was lower for the same temp as well.

So i can believe those numbers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I think they might have over done it with today's predicted temperatures here in South Yorkshire, 28.5c in my garden at moment, doesn't feel that hot sat in shade with a bit of a breeze blowing. 

Bookmark

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

My concern is that the 'weather' is now called climate change.. and everything and anything about it is down to climate change.. the climate is always changing..  enough said! Like you say like anything if it is mentioned constantly it becomes normalised and watered down in effect..

Yep everytime a weather event occurs, the BBC news reports online has to include a paragraph about climate change, very obsessed to mention it which no doubt marks people(including me who does believe in climate change). 

All that said, it's quite clear looking at the charts things are getting warmer so there should be no denial of it really. Also the fact when I first joined the forum a long time back now, getting the 15CHpa temperature was seen as exceptional, now its becoming more frequent that unless the 20C 850 temp hits, there is a tinge of dossapointment as evident during the last hot spell where we had countless posts obsessing where that 20C 850 line was! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 hour ago, FetchCB said:

Met office forecast @11am for Heathrow  show 35C today ,36C Tomorrow and 35C Sunday . It was 31.3C at midday , a figure it didn't reach until 1pm yesterday when the Max was 32.5. Dew point was lower for the same temp as well.

So i can believe those numbers. 

The current high at 2pm I can see is 33.6c at  Hertsmonceux (East Sussex) so 35c looks possible as a maximum for today, somewhere south of London.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted

Looks like we'll max out at 34C or so. 35C still looks like the likely max tomorrow.

Can I bottle this heat to take it to winter when I’m paying £400 a month for energy please…thanks. 

Say what you want about this summer, but it’s been lovely and we even have a very rare nice August to boot. Winter is going to come hideously this year. Weather and money wise 

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Looks like we'll max out at 34C or so. 35C still looks like the likely max tomorrow.

Herstmonceux already at 34C

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Herstmonceux already at 34C

Rounded. It's 33.6C I think.

Wiggonholt at 33.8C.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Massive fire near me, at Studland. Acrid smoke has made it's way here and air quality has plummeted.

707903448_Screenshot_20220812-143545_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.bd894527cd586a1fa3f06837a08ca5c2.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met office has extended the level 3 Heat-Health Alert until 9am Tuesday for all of England

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I must admit that I'm a little perplexed by all the competitive bickering over just how warm it'll be codswallop. . . 34, 35, 36 or 37C? Does anyone really care? Will a couple of degrees either way change people's lives in any meaningful way?🤔

But, whatever, I'm just glad I don't have to toe-the-line to any employer. And that's just the way I like it!👍