Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Looks like it could be the best August since 2003 in terms of the classic summer expectations: hot, dry, sunny.

But will it be the best summer month of a good/great summer as with 2003, 1995, 1984, 1975, 1955, 1947?

Out of the country still, but will that partly depend on what the second half of the month is like?

A bit up in the air I guess but the latest Met Office forecast seems to suggest persistent changeability for the remainder of the month.  I guess many will want the second half of August to be wet though!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The wind direction has changed to WSW here, and the temp is plummeting.

Almost 3°C in under ten minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Eskimo said:

I've noticed with these hot spells this year it just hasn't felt humid which makes our heatwaves typically unbearable. Is it the parched ground across western France that the air can't 'moisten up' before travelling to us?

That certainly helps - but this year (much like 2018) we’ve just had a lot of high pressure centred in positions that has drawn in dry air masses from S/SE/E throughout the summer. They’ve also tended to sit around and dry out/compress a lot this year too, which wrings out more moisture.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Very Hot - 13 August 2022 Time-Lapse

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Bournemouth airport dropped from 30 to 23 from 6-7pm

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hurn fell over 6c from 6-7pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Hurn fell over 6c from 6-7pm.

Yep - Same.

1427252560_temp(7).thumb.png.6987420b6c94baf389df804d73db993c.png

RH went from 38% to 70% in about 30 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The temperatures has reached or exceeded 34c on four consecutive days. Charlwood reaching 34.1c, not sure if any other station got higher today.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 hours ago, Eskimo said:

I've noticed with these hot spells this year it just hasn't felt humid which makes our heatwaves typically unbearable. Is it the parched ground across western France that the air can't 'moisten up' before travelling to us?

This sounds like a plausible theory. Also, don't forget we have our own homegrown dry ground, which may be helping convert sun energy into higher temperatures but not evaporated moisture. In the very hottest weather this year, the humidity has been between about 12 and 30 percent, very arid.

I find it interesting that many people, even this year, say the heat is different abroad, but clearly this has to be nonsense, because we have as you say, enjoyed continental humidity this year, yet there are still a number of people who are adamant that it is humid.

It goes to to show that it's very difficult for humans to make objective assessments based on 'feel'.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The temperatures has reached or exceeded 34c on four consecutive days. Charlwood reaching 34.1c, not sure if any other station got higher today.

That is quite significant.. I don't think that happened in 2018, 2006, 2003 or even 1995.  Is this the first time since maybe 1990 or even 1976?  I know 2003 had more days over that figure, but not consecutively..

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Xcweathers shows a broad 1004mb low center over England now, henve the wind shift. Sadly we have to wait until tomorrow.

Posted

St Mary’s Airport on the Isles of Scilly broke their all time maximum temperature record yesterday with 25.9°C recorded.

This map from Roostweather.com shows sites which have broken their all time record this summer. 157 in total. The extent of sites which broke the previous U.K. all time record of 38.7°C is especially remarkable.

5F81280A-A77D-48E5-BA2A-B144430BF6CD.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
19 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Charlwood also held the UK highest temperature record this year on 19 July. Albeit only for about 45 minutes. 
It’s been an exciting year for the weather enthusiasts there!
Does seem quite extreme. I know in 2020 there were 6 days I think where it exceeded 34C in a row, but if I recall they were in different places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Sit-Rep for TF2

Had to pop to the shops at 20:30 to get some accompaniments for dinner, and my car said it was still 29 degrees outside. Got back from walking the pooch about five minutes ago, and I'm sat here typing this with sweat running into my eyes.

In other news, here is a report from the front line on how the current weather is affecting farmers:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2J3l4U86k

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Some great storms here in Central Scotland,  lighting strikes every 20 seconds or so 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

We're in the fairly clear slot currently sitting across central/eastern areas....as such temps have already rocketed up to 29c here.
Could see some big storms this afternoon.

Edit - make that 30c now. Didn't expect it to be as clear here today as it has been!

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

No sign of that 4 day calamitous breakdown in our heatwave yet, as per various media outputs. Fairly overcast here, but still warm, temp at 23.8C, humidity at around 50%.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Where is the rain we were all supposed to be having? Nothing over here. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

Breaking up before it gets to Southern Central. Dammit! We neeed that! And I just tidied the garden and brought the laundry in for it too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
22 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Breaking up before it gets to Southern Central. Dammit! We neeed that! And I just tidied the garden and brought the laundry in for it too!

I feel your pain , luckily up here though a lot of dry weather this summer enough rain to keep resovoirs near normal and countryside green 

• Like 1