Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

At this point even if summer weather ends next week I won't feel like we've missed out this year.  In the SW we've seen many days above 23°C and this current spell is fantastic.  September also seems to deliver surprises in recent years so hopefully we get some more lovely sunshine.

After last year we were due a good one! It's been amazing. I actually feel like we have had a summer and I feel "ready" for winter now. As ready as i'll ever feel lol

• Like 2

Posted

Summer index for the top 10 summers since 1980 here:

2018: 295
1989: 287
1995: 279
2006: 278
2022: 275 (to 10th Aug)
2003: 271
1996: 265
2013: 262
1983: 261
1994: 257

Certainly up there with the best. I wonder where it will end up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Dont know whether good summers result in bumper blackberries but just been out blackberry picking and seems a really good year for them...feel the heat building though..

20220811_125232.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

After last year we were due a good one! It's been amazing. I actually feel like we have had a summer and I feel "ready" for winter now. As ready as i'll ever feel lol

1963, 79, or 1987 suit you?

1 hour ago, reef said:

I thought 1984 would be higher than 1996. It was a better summer overall and had a hot sunny August.

• Thanks 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Dont know whether good summers result in bumper blackberries but just been out blackberry picking and seems a really good year for them...feel the heat building though..

20220811_125232.jpg

We used to go blackberry picking in August back in the 80s and 90s. My gran used to make crumbles and would use the rest of the jam for homemade scones.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I thought 1984 would be higher than 1996. It was a better summer overall and had a hot sunny August.

August 1984 wasn't that great here. The mean temp was 17.2C, it had 203 hours of sunshine but was wetter than average with 81mm of rain.

1996 was dry and sunny in all three summer months and had close to average temperatures.

Posted

30C reached in Cornwall I see today- you don't see that too often. I know it happened in July but I can't find many other examples of it happening, even in the hotter summers. 

1 hour ago, reef said:

Interesting to see the contrast with weather-history's Manchester summer index for this year- quite a bit lower than yours at the moment, although this hot, sunny spell will be lifting it I'm sure.

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just seen the latest on the predicted heating bills. Im all for cold and snow but i truly hope this winter is mild and wet

Will seem crass people desperate for cold when folks cant afford to heat their homes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Just seen the latest on the predicted heating bills. Im all for cold and snow but i truly hope this winter is mild and wet

Will seem crass people desperate for cold when folks cant afford to heat their homes

Why? It won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of the winter. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yes, I’m the same, when you have a good summer then the change to the cooler months isn’t anywhere as difficult as after a crap summer. Had a good ‘un here too so I’ll be ok with autumn when it comes 🍂 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Wonderful satellite image of the British Isles & Europe:-

MSG-1200-EUR.jpg (2560×1920) (fvalk.com)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

29°C with very low humidity and a cooling breeze in Sheffield. Great conditions for summer and not remotely uncomfortable thankfully.

Posted
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

Only August and the guilt tripping posts are already appearing, it's going to be a long old winter in more ways than one. 

As for summer, it's just perfect to be out in, temperatures just below mid twenties and clear blue skies and sunshine, the sort of weather I crave for living in a seaside town. Just ashame for the most of this summer around here, it has not been like that at all. I do appreciate obviously the drought situation further south and its been a cracking summer if you like dry weather. 

Obviously alot of talk regarding climate change but don't folks remember how the summers between 2007 and 2012 was also a sign of climate change and how those summers could become the norm because if the high latitudes regions are high pressure dominated(due to increasing warm air up there) it will send the jet stream further south and low pressure systems would usually stall over the UK, well that has not happened either so don't always expect a summer like this one and the rains will return. Enjoy this week whilst it lasts! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

Whether mild or cold… I hope winter is a sunny one. It’s amazing how much warmer the house is after hours of low sun filtering in through the windows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am enjoying this hot spell. Humidity is low, we have a beautiful sunny blue sky and it doesn't have the harshness as it would if this was to occur in the middle of July. I have been sleeping well at night too. Looking forward to the prospect of rain next week though as we could certainly do with it. A cool down is always blissful after a period of hot weather.

This is turning out to be the best August since 2003 in my opinion.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

30C reached in Cornwall I see today- you don't see that too often. I know it happened in July but I can't find many other examples of it happening, even in the hotter summers. 

Interesting to see the contrast with weather-history's Manchester summer index for this year- quite a bit lower than yours at the moment, although this hot, sunny spell will be lifting it I'm sure.

Cloud amounts in the NW have pegged the summer index down somewhat.. we are making up for it now.. I feel this summer here very similiar to 2003, but far from a classic. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Any that gives me at least an inch!

• Like 1

Posted

30 deg quite widely in the Scottish Borders today, but not included within warnings area.  Don't really give a damn, but I just wondered why?  Also puzzled about the wide slice of the west of Wales not included either.  Surely that's much further inland than sea breeze exclusions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Hot Weather Returns - 10 August 2022 Time-Lapse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1