Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted

Surprisingly cool night here- dipping into single figures. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's been quite so cool in what seems to be a warm airmass?

It had already dipped to 15C by 10.30 last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
45 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I like how the extreme heat warnings don't make any reference to the actual temperatures expected.

Yes I noticed that too. Take today for instance ,its showing 28C for today ,but the maber warning doesn't start until Thursday where the top temperature is 27. 

I think today is going to be much warmer than 28C ,( I'm v uncomfortable already ) , and the the temperature is  set to rise and not lower for a good few days yet I believe.  Doesn't make any sense at all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have issued an amber warning for extreme heat issued from Thursday to Sunday for;

• East Midlands
  • East of England
  • London & South East England
  • North West England
  • South West England
  • Wales
  • West Midlands
  • Yorkshire & Humber

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2022-08-11&id=47fce950-e67b-4271-9a07-92ba94c1934a&details

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Rammie said:

BBC forecast showing five consecutive days over 30c for Cardiff.

Met office app, Cardiff doesn't get up to 30 on any of those days. 🤔

It could be because for the last few months, there seems to have been something wrong with the Met Office automated location forecasts in parts of the SW (so maybe also Wales/various places near the coast), in the 3-7 day range.

The forecast for Exeter has been showing just 23C at times for the peak of this upcoming spell. No way is that correct, it looks like getting above 30C. It seems to have improved a bit now (27C), although Sunday is showing 'Extreme heat warning' and 22C 😆 My location closer to the south coast has been forecast 28-29C which is more reasonable. 

Even for Taunton, well away from coasts where the GFS shows ~35C, and ECM ~32C, the Met Office forecast only shows 27C-28C.

It used to be decent until a few months ago when something changed and now the forecast for Exeter is always too low after day 2, in sunny/warm weather. 

You'd think they would notice or could fix it since they are based there lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Wowsers ! A good 2 degrees hotter In Heathrow than London on Saturday. Shows just how potent that heat island is.

A5A0A8FF-72A2-4F11-8508-19F8F37738C9.jpeg

0869C65A-E2CB-4821-B73C-A46FC76B8622.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This current heatwave reminds me of the heatwave we had in 2003, because that also occured during the school summer holidays and I have a lot of memories of that summer. I just finished primary school. I remember lounging in my back garden one warm evening and I fell asleep. I also went to Drayton Manor that summer. Good times. 🌞

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Sunny high pressure in August. Never thought I'd see the day. Very palatable conditions with comfortable daytime temps and cool nights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well some things seem crazy in life and around here there is being undertaken a program of road resurfacing....yep you guessed it..in July just before the intense heat a road was resurfaced with this thick black tar...now today another road.is being resurfaced with.......thick black tar. Common theme, resurface the roads just before the full thrust of the heatwaves...still hot sunny weather. Result is the tar stays soft , extra gravel has to be used and tryes end up with bits of tarred gravel . As black tar absorbs heat.....well....

I know they have a schedule of works to complete but surely they have to take high temps into account before starting these resurfacings...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This current heatwave reminds me of the heatwave we had in 2003, because that also occured during the school summer holidays and I have a lot of memories of that summer. I just finished primary school. I remember lounging in my back garden one warm evening and I fell asleep. I also went to Drayton Manor that summer. Good times. 🌞

Same here that is one of the epic summers of my teen years, I was going into the last year of secondary school then always reminds me of the massive paddling pool we had at home and the hours spent in it with my mates, don't think there weren't many days we were out the pool it was that hot and sunny

• Like 2

Posted

This is going to be nothing like 2003.

Totally different sypnotics..

Nothing out of the ordinary yet anyway made 26c dropped to 23.8c with high cloucover..

August 1995 now this coming looks like a shorter hotter version of that..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Potentially 3 consecutive days of 34°C in Cardiff this week.  Considering the all time record for Cardiff is 34.5°C that's seriously impressive heat.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Timing very similiar. The second weekend Aug 2003 brought record heat at the time. The last heatwave was a Monday and Tuesday when schools hadn't fully broken up. This one is happening slap bang middle of school holidays. 

• Like 1

Posted

For southern, central and eastern parts, Summer 2022 fast joining the classics of 1976, 1995 and 2018...further north and west (NW England, Scotland and N Ireland) some way to go before join the ranks of those, even with the impending 5 day heatwave and I can't see us getting there, here possibly closer to the likes of 2003 and 2006, but again not quite as good. 1975, 1983, 1984, 1989 sit in the next league, and not on a par with them.

Top 3 - 1976, 1995, 2018

Next league - 1975, 1983, 1984, 1989

Third league - 2003, 2006

Fourth league - 1990, 2022?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

East of the Pennines, not a classic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Timing very similiar. The second weekend Aug 2003 brought record heat at the time. The last heatwave was a Monday and Tuesday when schools hadn't fully broken up. This one is happening slap bang middle of school holidays. 

Which funnily enough was not far off when there was a shorter punchy heatwave in July 2003 (same days too)… this time of course we didn’t get the widespread wet spell that followed.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Which funnily enough was not far off when there was a shorter punchy heatwave in July 2003 (same days too)… this time of course we didn’t get the widespread wet spell that followed.

This summer in the Lake District at least is closely resembling 2003.

6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

East of the Pennines, not a classic. 

Yes will clarify east england - should really said east midlands, lincolnshire and perhaps very far east yorkshire at a push.

Posted

Confirmed max today 30.1C at Ross on Wye. Charlwood made 30.0C yesterday.

So, very much game on for 30C+ on 8 consecutive days, starting yesterday and ending next Monday - a significant heatwave, only 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018 have managed this so far in the 20th century.

Or Tuesday?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

So, very much game on for 30C+ on 8 consecutive days, starting yesterday and ending next Monday - a significant heatwave, only 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018 have managed this so far in the 20th century.

Or Tuesday?

About time someone took the stifling heat from my little microclimate heat bubble it.was actually cooler today then yesterday with a lovely Easterly breeze blowing up the Thames we only made 27c which with a breeze was bearable it will be interesting to monitor the rest of this heatwave given the wind direction helps knock a few degrees off the temp this side of London. I'm confident my weather station is pretty accurate also which if that's the case we hold the unofficial highest ever temp it got to 40.6c here on 19th July. #Bringbackgravesendbroadness!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

About time someone took the stifling heat from my little microclimate heat bubble it.was actually cooler today then yesterday with a lovely Easterly breeze blowing up the Thames we only made 27c which with a breeze was bearable it will be interesting to monitor the rest of this heatwave given the wind direction helps knock a few degrees off the temp this side of London. I'm confident my weather station is pretty accurate also which if that's the case we hold the unofficial highest ever temp it got to 40.6c here on 19th July. #Bringbackgravesendbroadness!

Gravesend would probably have recorded 45C 😂😂😂😉

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Or Tuesday?

1976 also late June and early July. 

Posted

August is definitely turning out to be the best month of summer here as June and July were often dogged by cloudy days.

Edited by Don
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So, just a week before the kids return to school.  Wouldn't it be perfect if an eventual breakdown coincided nicely with this welcome event?

Drawing a line under the season I'd have to say that it's been a cracking summer up here.  Days of endless sunshine have led to huge glut of tomatoes, chillies and peppers, forcing me to explore ever more imaginative ways of preserving them.  There's been a little rain, but fortunately this has been almost always overnight.  Still much sprinkling going on, but local reservoir at 81%, so no concerns.

• Like 4

Posted

So summer 2022 is nearly over for me in the UK as I travel down to the south of france on friday night and wont return until the autumn.

I judge summers on two criteria - heat and storms.

I would give this summer a 5/10 - which will sound ridiculous to some considering the widespread and record breaking heat - but thats because there have been zero storms. Literally nothing.

heat - 5/5 - couldn't have asked for more really.

storms - 0/5 - there has been absolutely none.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

So summer 2022 is nearly over for me in the UK as I travel down to the south of france on friday night and wont return until the autumn.

I judge summers on two criteria - heat and storms.

I would give this summer a 5/10 - which will sound ridiculous to some considering the widespread and record breaking heat - but thats because there have been zero storms. Literally nothing.

heat - 5/5 - couldn't have asked for more really.

storms - 0/5 - there has been absolutely none.

Well we now know that they will appear next week due to the law of sod. Thank you from the storm lovers 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1