Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
7 minutes ago, dryfie said:

30 deg quite widely in the Scottish Borders today, but not included within warnings area.  Don't really give a damn, but I just wondered why?  Also puzzled about the wide slice of the west of Wales not included either.  Surely that's much further inland than sea breeze exclusions.

Not sure why the met office thought sea breezes would play such a huge part. West facing coasts do well from easterlies in fact Liverpool/Crosby area has often been the warmest in a summer easterly. Right now Liverpool is as warm as Manchester.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
40 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Not sure why the met office thought sea breezes would play such a huge part. West facing coasts do well from easterlies in fact Liverpool/Crosby area has often been the warmest in a summer easterly. Right now Liverpool is as warm as Manchester.

Not sure that's the case today- Rostherne has recorded 31C today and Crosby only 27.6C. Liverpool Airport has managed a rounded 30C but is often warmer than the coastal stations. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Not sure that's the case today- Rostherne has recorded 31C today and Crosby only 27.6C. Liverpool Airport has managed a rounded 30C but is often warmer than the coastal stations. 

Precisely the same over here today, Scorcher: we only made it to a frigid 29C, RAF Mildenhall got to at least 32!😊

On another note, SSTs must be exceptionally warm going into autumn, so any imported storms should have no fear of being killed-off by either the North Sea or English Channel?🤔

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
5 hours ago, reef said:

Summer index for the top 10 summers since 1980 here:

2018: 295
1989: 287
1995: 279
2006: 278
2022: 275 (to 10th Aug)
2003: 271
1996: 265
2013: 262
1983: 261
1994: 257

Certainly up there with the best. I wonder where it will end up?

Best since 1991 for London.

2018: 355
1995: 345
2022: 336 (to 10 Aug)
2006: 326
2003: 325
2013: 321
1994: 321
2005: 305
2014: 304
2019: 303
1996: 302

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

🥵 Could really feel the difference driving from the outskirts of SE London back to Gravesend a good 2-3c hotter in the former that bit more inland my thermometer says it briefly touched 31c in Gravesend though cant have been for long my car thermometer was 3c less as I drove between Greenhithe and my place only 3.5-4 miles away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
4 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

🥵 Could really feel the difference driving from the outskirts of SE London back to Gravesend a good 2-3c hotter in the former that bit more inland my thermometer says it briefly touched 31c in Gravesend though cant have been for long my car thermometer was 3c less as I drove between Greenhithe and my place only 3.5-4 miles away!

Yeah North Kent has seen more of a NE wind past few days knocking off several degrees. Less so south of the Downs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

...and looking at posts from up Merseyside, it's clear how every locale can have big variations in temperature especially during these hot spells. I enjoy watching the weather forecasts but know that the temperatures given as way too broad brush to take literally. To an extent, even weather apps don't factor everything in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just crept over 30 °C today here (max 30.3) despite non-stop sunshine. First 30 since the last heatwave sure, but it's maybe a degree or so down on what I was expecting, even allowing for it being nearly mid-August now. Not that it makes much difference really, it's still hot and dry and sunny!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Working just North of Taunton today, showing 33c and it felt it, high street quite, never seen the carpark so empty.  Not what you would call nice at all for getting about in or working in, came out of the site i was at and felt a big drop in temp to 33c! Doesn't really help cooling one down though i can assure you.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

Working just North of Taunton today, showing 33c and it felt it, high street quite, never seen the carpark so empty.  Not what you would call nice at all for getting about in or working in, came out of the site i was at and felt a big drop in temp to 33c! Doesn't really help cooling one down though i can assure you.

Aye, Mark: Heat's alright up to a point, but a sixty-five-year-old body doesn't respond in the same way as a 19-year-old's (me, in 1976!) does. I'm finding it uncomfortable and I'm nae even working. . . You guys deserve knighthoods!👍

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye, Mark: Heat's alright up to a point, but a sixty-five-year-old body doesn't respond in the same way as a 19-year-old's (me, in 1976!). I'm finding it uncomfortable and nae even working. . . You guys deserve knighthoods!👍

I'm 55 mate....i try and engage in a supervisory role as much as i can if you know what i mean.😉 But even still its 45c plus and knackering this old fart up!  its the younger guys who deserve the credit, no moaning, no slacking..and folk seem to have this idea that all youngsters are a bit soft or not as tough as in the old days, they're lugging 60,70kg kit about in those temps up flights of stairs, masked as well at times, there are some dam good young folk out their trust me, don't believe all you read in the so called media!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Travelled down to Essex yesterday along the M1/25. Large fire just North of Luton on the hills and then a 150m stretch of the M25 anticlockwise embankment alight near waltham abbey....down to 2 lanes there. 

Today hit 33.7 here in Northants, over a month since any measurable rainfall,and almost 2 since a downpour. Gave up working at 3pm as my glasses filling up with sweat in an engine bay became a losing battle.

Posted

Looking forward to this time next week, when the media hysteria about current weather dies..  not helped because traditionally this is the low point in any news.. I use the word hysteria purposefully because any story nowadays is a 'crisis' according to the media.. demeaning the word. Rant over!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Looking forward to this time next week, when the media hysteria about current weather dies..  not helped because traditionally this is the low point in any news.. I use the word hysteria purposefully because any story nowadays is a 'crisis' according to the media.. demeaning the word. Rant over!

Maybe but the climate change message must get out there. The warning signs have been in place in most summers across the Northern hemisphere with record heat being recorded in large areas, now its our turn to of experienced these ever increasing temperatures and the consequences of it. 

Do have to be careful with the this is going to be the norm talk, apparently the summers of 2007 to 2012 was going to be more frequent because of a warming climate but the UK weather is never that simple. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Maybe but the climate change message must get out there. The warning signs have been in place in most summers across the Northern hemisphere with record heat being recorded in large areas, now its our turn to of experienced these ever increasing temperatures and the consequences of it. 

Do have to be careful with the this is going to be the norm talk, apparently the summers of 2007 to 2012 was going to be more frequent because of a warming climate but the UK weather is never that 

My concern is that the 'weather' is now called climate change.. and everything and anything about it is down to climate change.. the climate is always changing..  enough said! Like you say like anything if it is mentioned constantly it becomes normalised and watered down in effect..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

From only the 11th August, Heathrow currently stands at 106.5 hours of sunshine. It has already beaten the entire total of August 2021 (95.6 hours) ....just 11 days in! Amazing start to the month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, SunSean said:

From only the 11th August, Heathrow currently stands at 106.5 hours of sunshine. It has already beaten the entire total of August 2021 (95.6 hours) ....just 11 days in! Amazing start to the month.

Makes a nice change to so many Augusts over the last couple of decades. Though I’d rather there wasn’t a drought, that’s causing quite a few issues now. 
A beautiful August here so far, too, with loads of sunshine and warmth (but not uncomfortable), temperatures in the mid 20’s every day with some cool nights. Hopefully some more thunderstorms soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We could end up exceeding 30C here for 5 consecutive days, from Wednesday to Sunday. Pretty good going.

Nights are relatively cool too - falling down to 12/13C.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
32 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Which is actually more like 119 hours. You have to multiply by 1.12 to get those raw values into something that can be compared to other locations, because the sun recorder there under-reads.

Posted
19 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Hes right to do so...... records are written at official stations, unofficial ones simply dont count as they dont meet the criteria needed for "officialdom".

Above post from model thread 

However the GFS points do not match where the official stations are and as a consequence you introduce a sampling margin of error and therefore to make a statement of fact as he was doing so would be wrong, especially in the assertion that the GFS was wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Above post from model thread 

However the GFS points do not match where the official stations are and as a consequence you introduce a sampling margin of error and therefore to make a statement of fact as he was doing so would be wrong, especially in the assertion that the GFS was wrong.

I agree with the need for 'officialdom', as one can only compare like with like, so to speak, as far as 'official' record-keeping goes. But that doesn't negate the obvious, that 'official' sites are very unevenly spaced, so provide only limited coverage; though, having said that, it must be appreciated that, if anything, unofficial recordings would tend to be too high rather than too low; it being somewhat 'difficult' to systematically record temps lower than reality -- not only that, putting ice-cubes into a Stevenson's Screen would be absurd!👍

Edit: PS: Some sites are already showing 26C (8am) only 4C below those on Horrible Tuesday!😱

Edited by Ed Stone
PS added plus egregious spelling mistake!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Its amazing to think that London 's temp will be higher than Rome, Athens and Tripoli on Saturday, this seems to be occuring more often now..

Screenshot_20220812-085451_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a0f6d8af9698cbafd335474cfc993254.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

A timely reminder to everyone: do all you can to stay safe!👍

_126279407_sarahh.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

By the time BBC journalist Sarah Lee was able to get doctors to listen, her cancer had spread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

I think that more shows just how shockingly rubbish 2021 August was when it comes to sunshine, to not even broach 100 hours (its about 3hrs a day on average...in August!)

That being said, it has been a very strong start to the month when your looking at summer weather, and its nice to get another proper heatwave in August, they have been in very short supply over the last 20 years it has to be said.

The house is slowly warming up day on day, so now starting to feel quite hot legitimately inside after not feeling too bad thanks to cooler night recently. I suspect come Sunday it will be very hot both inside and out.

• Like 2