Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Wouldn't worry too much about that one....if its 30c or 33c it's still very hot! 

Mate your at 35 degrees!!its gona be a sauna for ya!!!!?

The GFS mean now stays above 10C at 850pha through the middle of next here in the south. Quite a few ensembles members bring mid-high 20s quite quickly. 

Posted
3 hours ago, minus10 said:

Yes, very interesting. Drier the ground the quicker the air heats up and as a gardener i have noticed over the last few years that the ground is generally drier than it used to be...so although i havent the records to confirm it does appear that the climate is changing and becoming drier ...in the south and east in particular apart from the shorter periods of intense downpours...

I've observed the same, as measured by my veg plot. It's not possible to grow anything at all without a significant amount of additional watering. If I had an allotment without watering facilities, it would be completely impossible to grow anything. Also, the environment agency keeps track of soil moisture, and over the last 10 years it appears that the soil is more often than not drier than average round here. At the end of May 82mm deficit against an average of 52mm. That will be even drier now has half of June has passed with dryish conditions.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
56 minutes ago, Paul said:

Here's the 09z - 35c or thereabouts shown at 15z. So still potentially on for the June record (35.6c). 

9z-hot.png

South Wales 17c that's insane

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, mb018538 said:

085E427D-FFC9-46DC-BB33-3C6321EC296A.thumb.jpeg.26ce8b1af9a80629a18ef3f279073876.jpeg

The UKV run this morning has 850 temps of 25c in the SE corner late Saturday afternoon Max temps only mid to high 20s though. Not sure I’ve seen 25c here before…..at the same time you have 850s of 0/-1c in Scotland. Has to be the biggest contrast ever seen in the UK for me.

And next week MWIS talks about freezing point and snow flurries on the highest mountains not rare round  midsummers day in  Highland Scotland.  

• Like 4

All this uncertainty surrounding next week and next weekend is certainly making it hard to know if it'll be wellies or trainers for Glastonbury.

Would it be fair to say we are trending towards a showery pattern next week with potential HP building back in for the weekend? 

Also, I was wondering if someone could let me know what times the ECM model updates? I'm aware of the GFS times but struggling to find online what time to expect the ECM runs.

Many Thanks

Posted

Terrible 06z ecm for much of england on saturday!raining all day!!absolute drenching for south west into wales midlands and northern east anglia!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Terrible 06z ecm for much of england on saturday!raining all day!!absolute drenching for south west into wales midlands and northern east anglia!!!!

Bit of an all-or-nothing day, Saturday. The line you speak of is right in the point of uncertainty. Much further north, cooler clearer, much further south hot, but your location could go either way. Or drenched!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Not being a big heat fan “ ironically “ I sit slap bang in the usual heat drag zone .. Anyway, away from the interlude Saturday pm onwards- the trending is Already wanting to uptick members for a return of sorts to higher level hpa!..It wouldn’t be at all surprising from all data to quickly revert to “at least higher modest temperatures for mid Britain downward.. or even a flag up of extreme values in The nearer/ mid term!!!

9C425D2D-F0F5-443C-9B83-523DB129B914.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Today's Met Office Ten-Day Trend: things could even be looking good for Glastonbury? As Kate Bush might say: Stranger Things?

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

All of wales and england generally the West Country and midlands. I’d say to the north of the midlands and south of the midlands it’s less definitive 

but that will change - we do seem to be settling on a band of persistent rainfall across a 50 mile band which oscillates north and south as it pulses ne through Saturday 

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

All of wales and england generally the West Country and midlands. I’d say to the north of the midlands and south of the midlands it’s less definitive 

but that will change - we do seem to be settling on a band of persistent rainfall across a 50 mile band which oscillates north and south as it pulses ne through Saturday 

Im really dreading this saturday now!was planning to go to the park with the kids to play some cricket!not looking good as it stands!!!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

That's for Friday? Are we still likely to see high 20's in south saturday?

At the moment I’d say south of London has a decent chance - still toss of several coins for the solution though ….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Does not go that far out on the 12z ukv!!gfs shall give us a clue in 30 mins or so!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, snow, and cold snowy snow

What are the chances of some spectacular thunder and lightning to accompany the forecasted rain come Saturday? 

• Like 1

ICON again clears the heat extremely rapidly  on Saturday. For context for this location at 6pm it’s 850s are nearly 4C lower and any of the 06Z ensembles and 10C lower than the mean. 

It should be binned unless GFS rapidly follows suit…

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
17 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

High 20's?

The met office are calling 33c in London on Saturday.

The usual thoughts that they might have acquired some data that is making them confident to go public on that

Posted
8 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

High 20's?

The met office are calling 33c in London on Saturday.

The usual thoughts that they might have acquired some data that is making them confident to go public on that

We won't be seeing thirties on Saturday anywhere in my opinion perhaps 28c tops!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, cfbath said:

All this uncertainty surrounding next week and next weekend is certainly making it hard to know if it'll be wellies or trainers for Glastonbury.

Would it be fair to say we are trending towards a showery pattern next week with potential HP building back in for the weekend? 

Also, I was wondering if someone could let me know what times the ECM model updates? I'm aware of the GFS times but struggling to find online what time to expect the ECM runs.

Many Thanks

Around 7.10 start and 8.00 finish for ECM, both AM and PM. That's going by WXCharts; not sure if any other sites get it earlier at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.b16514b0ed257d555a204e5995b77c2e.png

12z UKV has a 35c close to the coast of the Norfolk/Suffolk border

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Arpege has a high of 36c towards the London area. Anywhere really from the East Midlands south and east are in with a chance of approaching the mid 30s.

image.thumb.png.d06cad748c46119c8fe175feb2974c13.png

There is quite a westerly element to the breeze, which means areas on the south coast will be warmer, whilst central Midlands westwards will be impacted by the breeze of the Atlantic.

30c on Saturday close to the south coast. Cooler the further north you go.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
8 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

There is quite a westerly element to the breeze, which means areas on the south coast will be warmer, whilst central Midlands westwards will be impacted by the breeze of the Atlantic.

Interesting, an undercutting cool breeze creating an inversion?.. could be quite dull if thats the case.

6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Arpege has a high of 36c towards the London area. Anywhere really from the East Midlands south and east are in with a chance of approaching the mid 30s.

image.thumb.png.d06cad748c46119c8fe175feb2974c13.png

30c on Saturday close to the south coast. Cooler the further north you go.

Even Arpege underestimated todays maxes by 1C, it went for 27C around London. 37C for Friday?