Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

To be fair, discussing the BBC forecasts is the same as discussing the ECM output.

Doesn’t matter how many times it’s pointed out that the BBC just mirrors the ECM, people still get hung up on it.

Only difference is, the BBC are 24 hours behind. Always

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Only difference is, the BBC are 24 hours behind. Always

One could say that that's because all the models, by their very nature, are always one step behind reality?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

One could say that that's because all the models, by their very nature, are always one step behind reality?

How so?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

How so?

Is there not a gap in time between data-collection and the run they generate? With the current level of uncertainty, even the very latest runs might be 'wrong'?

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is there not a gap in time between data-collection and the run they generate? With the current level of uncertainty, even the very latest runs might be 'wrong'?

Oh I see.  I think the gap depends on how long ago the assimilation window was.  I made a post previously on how these weather forecasts are produced using 4D-Var.  It's not a case of just plugging observations into a physics model and waiting for the output, it's a dynamic and continuous process of adjusting an existing forecasts to align it with observations as you collect them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Oh I see.  I think the gap depends on how long ago the assimilation window was.  I made a post previously on how these weather forecasts are produced using 4D-Var.  It's not a case of just plugging observations into a physics model and waiting for the output, it's a dynamic and continuous process of adjusting an existing forecasts to align it with observations as you collect them.

Now, I get you; that would explain how the Met Office adjusts its expectations, even when no new model runs have been issued? I was thinking purely in terms of, say, the latest ECM?

PS: I'm not sure I'm making much sense even to myself!

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Now, I get you; that would explain how the Met Office adjusts its expectations, even when no new model runs have been issued? I was thinking purely in terms of, say, the latest ECM?

I'm not particularly familiar with the exact forecasting method the Met Office uses, I'm more on the observations R&D side 

• Like 1

Posted

Ecm 06z back to an asbolute washout for wales and the midlands for all day saturday!!!gona stick my neck out and say gfs is horribly wrong at such a short time frame again!!!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The BBC forecasts are provided by Meteo Group. True their main model is ECMWF but not exclusively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

My first reaction upon seeing the end of the Gfs 6z operational was… and my second reaction too!! ☀️  

5B391B3E-481F-4405-9BE1-540CA56BD141.png.586e312f0845b2336801bc9f4f3889f8.png9D301B74-D17F-4003-B51E-5C537650B62D.thumb.png.be7fc55fdab6d4cb0be2f898646a375c.png8B2C3C06-DA1D-488C-96A9-0E469864E5A3.thumb.png.75fd3634c1b212a45052ef4c2428351e.png90F559A5-F73F-46C5-A0D0-4EAD895EA82F.thumb.png.5fbf85cec79a4382dbf96f63cbd1c10f.png

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ukv 12z joins ecm with rain all day midlands wales saturday!!expecting gfs to come in line in 45 mins!

UKV 12Z is very stingy on sunshine for Saturday, with more sunshine I'd expect much higher temps and the potential for thundery showers to return. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
17 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ukv 12z joins ecm with rain all day midlands wales saturday!!expecting gfs to come in line in 45 mins!

I can't understand why your getting so frustrated over this possible rain on Saturday mate...its all but one day of many more to come for Summer. And tbh regardless of whatever happens on Saturday,Sunday does look improved...fresher yes...but drier with sunny spells perhaps.

There is still plenty of scope for corrections regarding the early part of the Weekend...so don't get to frustrated over it shakes my man.

Strong Heights parked to our West through next week on the icon...looks like decent conditions away from the far NE/E...West is best...Ireland would be very favourable...the troughing further East and perhaps looking less impactful than previously thought. I think earlier forecasts the other day from some organisations stating very showery next week look a little wide of the mark...my thoughts are pretty reasonable next week.

icon-0-126.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
17 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Just N of the rain band here. I’d prefer a shift N as the vegetation needs a watering!

• Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I can't understand why your getting so frustrated over this possible rain on Saturday mate...its all but one day of many more to come for Summer. And tbh regardless of whatever happens on Saturday,Sunday does look improved...fresher yes...but drier with sunny spells perhaps.

There is still plenty of scope for corrections regarding the early part of the Weekend...so don't get to frustrated over it shakes my man.

Strong Heights parked to our West through next week on the icon...looks like decent conditions away from the far NE/E...West is best...Ireland would be very favourable...the troughing further East and perhaps looking less impactful than previously thought. I think earlier forecasts the other day from some organisations stating very showery next week look a little wide of the mark...my thoughts are pretty reasonable next week.

icon-0-126.png

Planned to take kids park but probably wont happen now!!working sunday as well!!!

• Like 1

Posted

29.2’C today at Heathrow. The very top end of the model predictions for today.

Edit: Now 29.3’C at Heathrow and Kew Gardens.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
25 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

29.2’C today at Heathrow. The very top end of the model predictions for today.

Edit: Now 29.3’C at Heathrow and Kew Gardens.

Yep/ exactly the same for my location.. which is only 4miles from that plot..As you say top end of temperature plots... tomorrow will be painfully interesting

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

12z gives a much cooler airmass across the UK back end of next week into the following week compared to the 6z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

So does anybody want to tell me which model picked up the rain that’s developed right here in somerset!! 

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, fromey said:

So does anybody want to tell me which model picked up the rain that’s developed right here in somerset!! 

Ukmo 12z not a million miles away 

image.thumb.png.0c74e205a3644563c40f3fecafd66788.png

arpege similar 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

I'm not sure why the Met hasn't issued an amber excessive heat warning for tomorrow yet?

Posted

What’s just caught my eye is the wind tomorrow afternoon which is gusting 30 mph in the home counties. That’s pretty unusual with T2 around 33C

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

A poor UKMO and GFS with Northerly winds and low pressure possible into late June.

Eternal Autumn continues. 

I’m sure autumn will be eternal once it finally arrives! 

• Like 2