Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
3 hours ago, LightningLover said:

@ResonantChannelThunder Latest UKV treats your patch a tad roughly!

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas, Nature, Painting, Art, Sea, Water, Outdoors

I am pretty certain that those winds won't be hitting many areas with many houses or power as those winds would cause bad structural damage and widespread power cuts. Widespread Severe gales and Storm, Violent storm or even Hurricane 1 in a smaller area according to the beaufort scale.

I have a handheld anemometer myself and have noticed the winds I get here to be much lower then what the weather models and agencies predict, sometimes 30-35mph lower in fact.

Edited by wimblettben
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

I am pretty certain that those winds won't be hitting many areas with many houses or power as those winds would cause bad structural damage and widespread power cuts. Widespread Severe gales and Storm, Violent storm or even Hurricane 1 in a smaller area according to the beaufort scale.

I have a handheld anemometer myself and have noticed the winds I get here to be much lower then what the weather models and agencies predict, sometimes 30-35mph lower in fact.

It has been bad here!

Damage in the area from 50 to 60mph gusts.

84mph recorded at Portland.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

Evening all bit of a late post. Some very active weather for some of us tonight, some very heavy showers moved through here over the course of the evening. Will be very minimal lightning with this but I'm very impressed with the wind speeds and certainly the gusts here in Sussex now. I'm approximately 8 miles in land from Brighton and Hove and have the south downs as a bit of a windbreak but wind conditions here have really ramped up in the last hour or so. There's likely to be some exceptional wind speeds reached in gusts on the south coast in the next few hours as the centre moves across. Just had a very squally shower move through with a few minutes of sustained very strong winds,trees in the main road nearby still mostly in full leaf and moving around quite alarmingly! And just had another one move through with even stronger winds! Will venture out on foot with the dog when the centre is nearer to my locale and see what it's like in the fields near my house, slightly higher ground and fully exposed to this wind direction so should be pretty lively over there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
7 hours ago, LeeKay/ said:

Some quite heavy rain pushed this far up, bar a dry session for a hour or so inbound.

Very early 80s i used to make a 'pumpikn face' out of Potatoes with a 4mm birthday candel inside it.

My RIP Dad used to go mad Mom used to laugh - but then that was the early 80's as a kid you did what you thought best !

This is a small pumpkin my dad made today which I think was pretty good for a first try.

I think pumkins faces are one of the best things about halloween especially at night because even with a white colored head torch light like we put in this pumkin it still gives off a nice orange/yellow colored glow kind of light even without candles when its dark and the light is enclosed inside of it.

Could contain: Plant, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Food, Produce, SquashCould contain: Plant, Produce, Food

Could contain: Plant, Produce, Food, Bread, Pumpkin, VegetableCould contain: Plant, Produce, Food, Vegetable, Pumpkin, Egg, SquashCould contain: Lamp, Plant, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Food, Produce, SquashCould contain: Lamp, Plant, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Food, Candle, Produce, SquashCould contain: Plant, Lamp, Pumpkin, Food, Vegetable, Produce, CandleCould contain: Plant, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Food, Produce, SquashCould contain: Lamp, Plant, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Food, Produce, SquashCould contain: Indoors, Fire, Furniture, Table, Room, Candle, Lighting, Flame, Dining Table

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

Evening all bit of a late post. Some very active weather for some of us tonight, some very heavy showers moved through here over the course of the evening. Will be very minimal lightning with this but I'm very impressed with the wind speeds and certainly the gusts here in Sussex now. I'm approximately 8 miles in land from Brighton and Hove and have the south downs as a bit of a windbreak but wind conditions here have really ramped up in the last hour or so. There's likely to be some exceptional wind speeds reached in gusts on the south coast in the next few hours as the centre moves across. Just had a very squally shower move through with a few minutes of sustained very strong winds,trees in the main road nearby still mostly in full leaf and moving around quite alarmingly! And just had another one move through with even stronger winds! Will venture out on foot with the dog when the centre is nearer to my locale and see what it's like in the fields near my house, slightly higher ground and fully exposed to this wind direction so should be pretty lively over there.

I am on the coast and it's very windy, lots of loud bangs and crashes, almost a constant roar.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It has been bad here!

Damage in the area from 50 to 60mph gusts.

84mph recorded at Portland.

It's bad here now too in Sussex, I'm roughly 8 miles inland and wind gusts here are certainly in excess of 50 mph in the showers and that's being potentially conservative so could well be higher! Not at all surprised Portland has exceeded 80mph it gets very fierce there because of it's exposure. Was on Portland a few years back in a named storm and I've never seen the sea like it! The waves over the Portland tidal race and around pulpit rock were absolutely astonishing and I had a job to even stay on my feet!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Woodboss said:

It's bad here now too in Sussex, I'm roughly 8 miles inland and wind gusts here are certainly in excess of 50 mph in the showers and that's being potentially conservative so could well be higher! Not at all surprised Portland has exceeded 80mph it gets very fierce there because of it's exposure. Was on Portland a few years back in a named storm and I've never seen the sea like it! The waves over the Portland tidal race and around pulpit rock were absolutely astonishing and I had a job to even stay on my feet!

Are there many houses at Portland?

I ask as I haven't been before and I would have thought with it getting about 30mph higher winds then other nearby areas that there would be many instances of quite bad structural damage or power cuts through out the winter months when the usual Atlantic storms come in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
7 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I am on the coast and it's very windy, lots of loud bangs and crashes, almost a constant roar.

60mph gust at shoreham airport

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

I'm not at all surprised,it must be really strong in Shoreham right now. I know Shoreham well its one of my port's of call when imports move in from the channel and I swim there a lot too. I welcomed storm Eunice there earlier this year from a sensible distance on the beach near the west harbour arm and it was nuts.I watched the storm roll in last week under the veranda of perch restaurant in lancing just along from your locale and it was really intense too. I saw one strike hit the sea only a hundred metres or so away and the thunder was explosive. But it was the wind's on this as it moved in which left a marked impression on my 20 plus years of chasing storms,one of the most potent day time storms I've ever seen without doubt!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

The wind is quite shocking here at the moment. I’m less then a mile inland from Southsea. Trees might not actually be trees in the morning & can hear debris flying down the street. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Massive gusts all of a sudden, definitely bordering on 60!

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Are there many houses at Portland?

I ask as I haven't been before and I would have thought with it getting about 30mph higher winds then other nearby areas that there would be many instances of quite bad structural damage or power cuts through out the winter months when the usual Atlantic storms come in.

There are s fair few but fortunately not too many down near the bill on the far south of the Island. The majority of the property is from the centre towards the north of the Island is protected a little by the highest point but houses on the west side of the Island can take quite a lashing. I go away every year to Dorset and visit Portland every time and the weather on the far south of the Island is certainly comparable to the highest point on Dartmoor in these conditions! I've been on the summit of Dartmoor in a named storm too and also Bodmin moor and the wind gets so much stronger with exposure and elevation!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Freeze said:

60mph gust at shoreham airport

Not at all surprised at that, it's not far off that here now in Hassocks in the strongest gusts. Likely to be higher directly on the coast by the beach huts at widewater lagoon.Every chance of it exceeding 70mph in gusts comfortably directly on the beach and at the top of beachy head I wouldn't rule out 80mph gusts there as it's over 500ft above sea level and totally exposed!

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Lu. said:

The wind is quite shocking here at the moment. I’m less then a mile inland from Southsea. Trees might not actually be trees in the morning & can hear debris flying down the street. 

It's very strong here too and I'm a good 8 miles inland with the South downs as a bit of a windbreak so must be pretty intense in Portsmouth. Would be really strong up on the ridge just north of Portchester for sure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Strongest gusts of the night/morning now, regularly hitting 60 I would say.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, leedsnowfan said:

68mph at Shoreham. Im scared

Would be pretty hairy on the i360 or the end of the pier right now! The waves at the marina must be pretty decent as we are approaching a high tide now!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm currently over in the fields on the old Hassocks golf course just behind my house and it's absolutely nuts over here! The dog took one look outside when I opened the door and thought sod that! Wind is starting to veer round to a more south westerly direction now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, that was a wild night. Not quite as loud as storm Eunice, but given that was a daytime storm, this was definitely the loudest night of winds I've heard since moving out here in June 2021

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Some big heavy downpours this morning, winds absolutely howling in the latest shower. 

interesting shower structure 

Could contain: Map, Diagram, Plot, Atlas

Yes, I suspect related to the 114mph gust at the Needles around that time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

been pretty blowy since the sun set yesterday but nothing i'd say extraordinary, there has been strong gusts and howling but no damage and not expecting much outside my area either